• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass Renewal

I’ve never been asked to show my AP in MDE. I always just give the card and ID for discounts. This includes recent trips in November, December and January.

ETA: Are you using an older card that doesn’t have ’23 on it? That might be it?
I've had the same experience, however, when we renewed at GS this year they asked if we wanted new ones or not. Seems like they aren't mandatory now but I like having the card so I can quickly show ID and AP together.

I've had the same experience, however, when we renewed at GS this year they asked if we wanted new ones or not. Seems like they aren't mandatory now but I like having the card so I can quickly show ID and AP together.
I’m sure I’d opt to get the card. Good to have the backup/alternate due to inconsistent requests between CMs.

If you plan to use your pass for any discounts or to pick up AP magnets, you’ll need an actual AP not just a MB.
That’s not my experience. We don’t have an actual card anymore-back in May when I tried to show our card several places said they don’t want the physical card they wanted to see it in the MDE app. When we renewed this year didn’t get an actual card and just showed our AP in the app and got our discount at every restaurant and shop we went to over New Years.

My trip in September, for the most part, I was fine just showing the card & ID for discounts. Once I got asked to show in the App and of course the App was being stupid and I could not get into it. I have it on my Apple watch, but she wanted to see a date. The watch doesn’t have a date on it 🤪 Finally another CM came over and said something about it just being DVC that had to show in the App. I was ready to walk out of the store in frustration 😬 I wish they would just scan the cards to validate.

My trip in September, for the most part, I was fine just showing the card & ID for discounts. Once I got asked to show in the App and of course the App was being stupid and I could not get into it. I have it on my Apple watch, but she wanted to see a date. The watch doesn’t have a date on it 🤪 Finally another CM came over and said something about it just being DVC that had to show in the App. I was ready to walk out of the store in frustration 😬 I wish they would just scan the cards to validate.
I had a similar issue on my trip last May. They were just starting the policy of showing in the app, so half the time I was able to show the card and half the time I couldn’t. I had an old iPhone 6, which couldn’t download the current version of the app in the first place, and it was really slow. At the resort gift shop, it took over ten minutes from the time I brought up the app to the time I could show my expiration date. I am hoping having a new phone will help.

I was told the new policy is because they no longer print the expiration date on the AP with a computer. Doing it with a Sharpie, people could alter the date and use an expired pass for discounts. While I am all for making sure only people entitled to a discount receive it, I would prefer they go back to printing the name and expiration date on the card. If they want to use technology, then add the ability to scan the card or MB for a discount. I mean, if it’s good enough for entry it should be good enough for the discount. The way they are doing it now is the most inconvenient method possible. Perhaps I should not be surprised . . .

Interesting. When we picked up our magnets, they asked to show pass. Our passes say 2023-2024. My husband and son don’t even have their own MDE. I manage theirs on mine. Guess I’d have to give them a screen shot. They wanted ID too for each person.

I haven’t picked up a magnet recently, so I don’t know how that’s working. I also manage my husband and son’s MDE accounts; they don’t have their own. I added their passes to my wallet, where the correct data shows up. They can add their individual passes to their wallets on their phones or use your MDE login if you aren’t together.

I’ve never been asked to show my AP in MDE. I always just give the card and ID for discounts. This includes recent trips in November, December and January.

ETA: Are you using an older card that doesn’t have ’23 on it? That might be it?
They wouldn’t give me or my family new cards when we renewed to the new type of passes. We had to get the vouchers activated at GS. This was at different times. Plus, when we got new cards in 2021, they were using up the old ones that still said 2020. They said it wouldn’t matter. It’s always some new arbitrary hurdle to jump over.

We have always been asked for our hard card AP to get discounts and into the parking lots. They scan my card and look at my ID almost every time. As long as they offer cards, we will take them. I don't want to rely on MDE app for my ticket. That app glitches enough.

Also not everyone carries a smart phone, shocking I know, but they don't. My folks had APs and didn't have smart phones. I would hope hard cards would always be available.

I was told the new policy is because they no longer print the expiration date on the AP with a computer. Doing it with a Sharpie, people could alter the date and use an expired pass for discounts. While I am all for making sure only people entitled to a discount receive it, I would prefer they go back to printing the name and expiration date on the card. If they want to use technology, then add the ability to scan the card or MB for a discount. I mean, if it’s good enough for entry it should be good enough for the discount. The way they are doing it now is the most inconvenient method possible. Perhaps I should not be surprised . . .
We renewed November. Our cards have dates printed on them. Says 2022-2023. With Sharpie they wrote our first names so we'd know which is which.

Totally lazy ~ all she had to do was scan your card and she would see that it was active. :rolleyes:

The current AP cards just list a year for expiration 2023-2024 is what mine lists. They write our names on the back.
Every time they ask about discounts, I show my ID and my pass with the name and date on it. Never been asked for anything beyond that. Never the mobile version.
When I pay for food at a TS they get my Visa and my AP when they go back to update the check. Never have I been asked for anything more.
I even showed my physical DVC card to GS when renewing our APs because it was far easier to for them to get the number and the castmember was happy to have it when typing it in. Still showed them the ID in my virtual wallet but that's a hassle to deal with.

For parking lots you definitely don’t need the actual physical AP. Any magicband will work since they are scanning it.
And here is where we have the constant inconsistency ~ I have had them ask me to provide my card and ID, even when showing my MB. I suppose with anything else it really depends on CM, supervisor and the wind. Disney is just really bad at consistent policies across the board. I'm not going to be without a card until they stop making them because most my experiences required a card.

NOTE: I stay offsite 90% of the time, and drive to parks. Next week I'll be there 5 days onsite but will still drive to the parks probably twice. I've had it handled all kinds of different ways including by holding up card/ID they wave me through. :confused3 There is no one correct answer.

And here is where we have the constant inconsistency ~ I have had them ask me to provide my card and ID, even when showing my MB. I suppose with anything else it really depends on CM, supervisor and the wind. Disney is just really bad at consistent policies across the board. I'm not going to be without a card until they stop making them because most my experiences required a card.

NOTE: I stay offsite 90% of the time, and drive to parks. Next week I'll be there 5 days onsite but will still drive to the parks probably twice. I've had it handled all kinds of different ways including by holding up card/ID they wave me through. :confused3 There is no one correct answer.
I am shocked by that honestly. Last year I had 6 week+ trips (revenge travel!). 4 of them were offsite, and even onsite we had our own car and usually drove. I must have parked at the parks on at least 40 different days last year plus. Every single time I just scanned my magic band and I was good to go. Granted, I was paying to upgrade to preferred parking each time, so maybe that was the difference?

I am shocked by that honestly. Last year I had 6 week+ trips (revenge travel!). 4 of them were offsite, and even onsite we had our own car and usually drove. I must have parked at the parks on at least 40 different days last year plus. Every single time I just scanned my magic band and I was good to go. Granted, I was paying to upgrade to preferred parking each time, so maybe that was the difference?
Disney is the king of inconsistency.

They have a page of rules/guidelines that are rarely enforced. Last two years I've seen giant coolers on wheels, giant wagons (some with no children just stuff), backpacks on wheels even a suitcase being pulled, vaping all over, pop up chairs, multiple people on ECV, selfie sticks, adults in costumes ... no enforcement, especially since some of this had to get through security.

AP Discounts handled in every possible combination from no proof to scanning AP and looking at ID.

Even at attractions operations can change with a supervisor shift change. I've seen them leave people behind at SDMT because parents won't split up to ride with their too young child and others on here has said they let their young child ride without an adult.

Could on and on to how each trip can have the same exact issue handled different. It is one reason coming here for answers should be more coming here for all possible outcomes.

I'm not shocked at anything because operations are as inconsistent as calling the Disney call center.

All this year, they required that I show the AP in MDE or my Apple wallet on my phone. They wouldn't take the physical card. They said the physical cards could easily be invalid. This was only for discounts or AP only items (like they ever looked for those though).
This was true for us in December as well. Our physical pass does not have an expiration date just the year 2021-2022.

Different CM's want different proof.
I have been told that they don't accept the physical card anymore as proof; needed the app. But then, on my trip on 1/17, the app got all screwed up. All of the information stored in my membership and passes screen was gone (still is). I went to guest services and they told me to use the physical card.

So I guess that if you want to take advantage of AP perks, you have to be ready to argue and work with the CM's as much as you can.

I have a question about recent AP renewals...

When you renew do you get the discount regardless of what pass type you select? (ex. pixie to incredi or sorcerer to pirate) Or do you only get the renewal discount if you renew your pass for a like minded pass (ex. pixie to pixie, sorcerer to sorcerer, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter