Annual Pass Question

Jamie Sinkula

Earning My Ears
I have read through a lot of these boards but can't seem to find an answer. I bought my tickets from Sam's Club and after reading on here realized the perks of an AP could easily justify the cost so have been thinking about doing it when we travel next month. Now, I just checked the AP hotel rates and saw the Hard Rock price for AP would be $1200 vs the $1800 I paid.... that's a huge difference! Can you upgrade your paper ticket before you even arrive on site, or does that have to be done when you get there?? I wish I would have realized this sooner!

I have read through a lot of these boards but can't seem to find an answer. I bought my tickets from Sam's Club and after reading on here realized the perks of an AP could easily justify the cost so have been thinking about doing it when we travel next month. Now, I just checked the AP hotel rates and saw the Hard Rock price for AP would be $1200 vs the $1800 I paid.... that's a huge difference! Can you upgrade your paper ticket before you even arrive on site, or does that have to be done when you get there?? I wish I would have realized this sooner!

You might try calling on that one, both Universal and Sam’s. Does Sam’s Club have a refund policy?

I’ve only known to be able to do the upgrade while at Universal.

Edit: Do what Mac says below!!! I wasn’t thinking right!!!!!

Last edited:
If you book an AP rate for the hotel, you can show your valid AP anytime before day before you check out for the discounted rate to be held valid

ie...you check out of the hotel on a Thursday
Show your ap to the front desk before midnight Wednesday

If you book an AP rate for the hotel, you can show your valid AP anytime before day before you check out for the discounted rate to be held valid

ie...you check out of the hotel on a Thursday
Show your ap to the front desk before midnight Wednesday

So anyone can book the AP rate, but you have to prove it while you are there to actually get it? Awesome! This is great news.

Another AP question to add to the thread... can’t seem to find the answer anywhere. When you purchase an AP does it come with an expiration date? Debating pulling the trigger on one but not positive when I would end up activating it.

The AP room rate for the onsite hotels are released at different times of the year

Also, you need to book once ap rates are released for designated hotel rooms

When the allotted number of rooms are filled, that’s it

AP year begins when you activate it
First time you use it, start of your full year

There have been times UO has specials and gives new ap’s an extension of 3 months

and, renewed passes also qualifies for this if your pass is within the special renewal time period

Thanks for this info. If I can save $600 on my hotel, that would be awesome and help pay for plane tickets to come back this fall.

$600 is a sweet saving for a room discount
especially if it helps you to return to the parks for another visit

sending you Mummy dust that you can make that discount deal!
Two visits within a 12 month period...woot!

AP year begins when you activate it
First time you use it, start of your full year

There have been times UO has specials and gives new ap’s an extension of 3 months

and, renewed passes also qualifies for this if your pass is within the special renewal time period
Thank you! I was actually meaning does an unactivated AP have an expiration date? Like I currently have a Disney AP which hasn’t been activated but has an expiration date for 12/2030.

I bought my ap 20 years ago and renew it yearly
So not sure what current policy is

I’ll search to see it I can find that info for you

$600 is a sweet saving for a room discount
especially if it helps you to return to the parks for another visit

sending you Mummy dust that you can make that discount deal!
Two visits within a 12 month period...woot!
That went fast! I checked this morning and it looks like the rate is gone. I could still save that much if I moved from Hard Rock to Portofino, but I read the renovations at Portofino are pretty extensive right now...

That went fast! I checked this morning and it looks like the rate is gone. I could still save that much if I moved from Hard Rock to Portofino, but I read the renovations at Portofino are pretty extensive right now...
Keep checking. We have found that AP availability fluctuates all the way up to the time we leave. There have been a few instances where we found an even better AP rate than the one we had currently booked.

As PP mentions, you can only upgrade to AP on-site, but you can still book the AP rate and just bring it back to show evidence of it after you upgrade. In fact, in more than half my stays, I have never even been asked to show evidence of the AP at all!

Don’t let the refurbishment put you off staying there.

During some of our stays, maybe 3 or 4 times, we’ve been at RPR during a refurb and it has never disturbed us once.

They make pretty sure they don’t disturb guests too much. So if you want to stay there, don’t worry about it.

When booking via the Universal website, there are no penalties for changing reservations before the cutoff date (1 week before?) aside from having to wait a couple days for the the deposit to be refunded. So as soon as I see a good rate (and check with my wife to confirm it is ok), I grab the room right away.

Room only reservation, not an issue to cancel

Depends when you get your money back
based on their reimbursement cycle
I have never waited more that 3 weeks

If I cancel and make a new reservation, I pay a new deposit and reimbursed for the former one
That is when it took up to 3 weeks will be directed back to my cc account

Don’t let the refurbishment put you off staying there.

During some of our stays, maybe 3 or 4 times, we’ve been at RPR during a refurb and it has never disturbed us once.

They make pretty sure they don’t disturb guests too much. So if you want to stay there, don’t worry about it.

I was reading on Trip Advisor last night and saw multiple people say the water was shut off to their room from 10-5 during the day! That made me nervous, since we're planning one non-park resort day...

I may just be overlooking it but I never see rates for Annual Pass Holders. Is it on the same place you would book a universal hotel normally? We haven't stayed on site yet, but plan to our next visit and we are Annual Pass Holders.

I may just be overlooking it but I never see rates for Annual Pass Holders. Is it on the same place you would book a universal hotel normally? We haven't stayed on site yet, but plan to our next visit and we are Annual Pass Holders.
I found an annual pass link in one old the message boards on here to search for AP rates. I'll see if I can find it again...

When booking via the Universal website, there are no penalties for changing reservations before the cutoff date (1 week before?) aside from having to wait a couple days for the the deposit to be refunded. So as soon as I see a good rate (and check with my wife to confirm it is ok), I grab the room right away.
I should have done this last night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter