Annual Pass Experts? AND DVC?

Princess' Mother

Earning My Ears
We have 5 day park hopper tickets for our family of 4. We plan to go to DL & DCA in Oct. IF we want to exchange our tix for AP's when and how is the best way to do that and get the best advantage from the park hoppers and the AP?

Also, we are considering joining the DVC and wonder how or if the AP's can figure into that equation?

And what are the advantages of DVC at DL?

Thank you for any help! :thanks: :thanks:

I can't answer all of your questions but you do get a slight discount as a DVC member on DL annual passes. As a DVC member you can also use your points to stay at DLR hotels and there are a couple of restaurants that give a discount also but that is subject to change.

Just my opinion...but joining DVC doesn't make much sense if you're planning to use your points to stay at DL...it's really geared towards staying at the DVC resorts that are mostly at WDW in Florida - and that's where you'll find most of the DVC perks, too. You get quite a hefty discount on a WDW Annual Pass if you're a DVC member - you save about $110 on a new pass, and $95 on a renewal. (At DL DVC only gets you a discount on a NEW Premium or Deluxe AP - no renewal discount.) As far as restaurant and other discounts go, at Disneyland you receive about the same benefits with DVC as you do with an Annual Pass - mostly discounts at restaurants.

Princess' Mother said:
We have 5 day park hopper tickets for our family of 4. We plan to go to DL & DCA in Oct. IF we want to exchange our tix for AP's when and how is the best way to do that and get the best advantage from the park hoppers and the AP?

Also, we are considering joining the DVC and wonder how or if the AP's can figure into that equation?

And what are the advantages of DVC at DL?

Thank you for any help! :thanks: :thanks:

I know i know!! I just did what you are asking about (convert tickets to an AP) -- first, you have to do it WHILE you are in the park, using your 5 day pass. Second, you WANT to do it on the LAST day of your 5 day pass, otherwise they only apply the lower price. (I.E. if you go the 2nd day to convert, then they apply a 2 day price to the AP - so go the last day) They may have told you that if you went earlier, but just in case. I did that this for this year -- you go to the Mainstreet Bank (first building on the right... unless you already know that) -- they'll take your picture and all right there.

Hope I helped!

Kalli

The DVC discount is $20 off an AP. If you do have an AP, you get 10% off at the dining locations. We have both an AP this year and are DVC members. It does seem like a lot of the DVC member perks overlap with the AP discounts. We were there in January when it was DVC member month and we got a special coupon book and we took advantage of some of the coupons in there. We got a collectors plate at the Blue Bayou, priority seating at Turtle Talk with crush, and several other coupons (we didn't use a lot of them because we were just there a day).

If you love Disney and think you will go to occasionally WDW, then DVC could be great for you. It is true that it is better used at WDW, but it is nice to have the option to use it at Disneyland as well. And who knows when they will decide to build a DVC property at Disneyland. We are using some of our DVC points to stay at the Grand Californian next month. I wouldn't stay there if I had to pay cash, but it is a treat for me to stay using points. If you haven't already, I'd suggest that you talk to the DVC people and take a tour of their model home that is near the Disneyland Hotel. They would be happy to answer your questions and they aren't too pushy.

kallidawn said:
I just did what you are asking about (convert tickets to an AP) -- first, you have to do it WHILE you are in the park, using your 5 day pass. Second, you WANT to do it on the LAST day of your 5 day pass, otherwise they only apply the lower price. (I.E. if you go the 2nd day to convert, then they apply a 2 day price to the AP - so go the last day)

Actually that's not true. It doesn't matter which day you do your upgrade to an AP. You'll get the full 5-day parkhopper value subtracted from the cost of the AP no matter when you do it (well up until the last day of course.. can't upgrade on day 6 of a 5 day hopper). So if you paid $179 for your 5 day hopper, they are going to charge you $50 to upgrade to a Deluxe AP regardless if you renew on day 2 or 5. My suggestion would be to upgrade as early as possible but NOT before you do your early entry day that you get with your ph. You don't have the privilege of EE on an AP, so make sure you get that done first. Then upgrade the next day or even later that day. Might as well get the advantage of the discount on food (and merchandise if you do a premium AP) for a few extra days if you can. :)

OP- do these park hoppers include unlimited fastpass from AAA? If so, you will want to wait until the last day or you will lose the UFP privilege. Also, if you are a DVC member they will give you the $20.00 off your New AP (up to 6 and not on renewals) plus subtract the full price of the 5 day PH. Also, if you are staying on property, as a hotel guest you automatically get EE. So if you are on property and do not have any other outside perks such as UFP, I would do the AP thing first day and get your 10-15% discounts for your whole trip.

ETA: The above info is based on if you purchase a premium pass. There is no blackout dates for this pass.

Make sure you are past any black out dates in your trip before you upgrade! You can upgrade to an a/p on a black out date and go to the park that day without having to pay the black out $30 fee. Just make sure to carry your receipt with you, as you migh have problems hopping to the other park or after a break.

Thank you ... that all really helps!

Here's the plan then ...

At or about Day 2 or 3 go listen to the DVC presentation, then decide to join DVC or not, (more discounts for AP after joining DVC) then keep our PH until day 4 or 5, as our day 4 is Toontown EE, (and I believe that is exclusive to AAA ?) We do have UFP thru AAA so waiting until day 5 would be key for that perk. (esp since it is going away next year) We get a few restaurants discounts through AAA so that would cover the the AP discounts, sortof.

THANK YOU :woohoo:

I don't think you will qualify for the DVC discount on an AP until you are an actual member with a membership number and membership card, and you don't get that until after the sale has closed (usually 4-6 weeks after you buy). You might ask at the presentation, but I wouldn't count on being able to do that.

ScooterL said:
I don't think you will qualify for the DVC discount on an AP until you are an actual member with a membership number and membership card, and you don't get that until after the sale has closed (usually 4-6 weeks after you buy). You might ask at the presentation, but I wouldn't count on being able to do that.

The sales person might be able to help you out with this. As I recall, when my husband and I bought in 2002, we were given printed temporary cards that day. Keep in mind this was in FL at the main DVC office long before the DL office opened. It might have changed since then, but I would still ask if there is anything they can give you.

Mom2micayla said:
Actually that's not true. It doesn't matter which day you do your upgrade to an AP. You'll get the full 5-day parkhopper value subtracted from the cost of the AP no matter when you do it (well up until the last day of course.. can't upgrade on day 6 of a 5 day hopper).

I went on a 3 day hopper, came in the 2nd day, and they told me to come back the next day because they would only calculate 2 days into the price of the AP. That is where I got my information -- right from Mainstreet Bank. Maybe I just got the wrong employee?

kallidawn said:
Maybe I just got the wrong employee?

Unfortunately you must have. You will always get the full purchased value of your hopper applied to your AP (or upgraded hopper for that matter) regardless of what day you do the upgrade. I have no idea why you were misinformed. :confused3

kallidawn said:
I know i know!! I just did what you are asking about (convert tickets to an AP) -- first, you have to do it WHILE you are in the park, using your 5 day pass. Second, you WANT to do it on the LAST day of your 5 day pass, otherwise they only apply the lower price. (I.E. if you go the 2nd day to convert, then they apply a 2 day price to the AP - so go the last day)

Kallidawn (or others with activation clarification!): When you upgraded to an AP on your last day, was your AP actually activated at that time (or, could you have waited until your next trip to the park to activate?)? Did the valid period begin on the day you activated the pass or the day you purchased or began using the 5 day Park Hopper? Were you given paper vouchers for the AP that needed to be "traded in" inside the park? I apologize for all of the questions, but I'm trying to get clarification that I've not been able to find elsewhere! Any additional information about how the activation process works would be much appreciated. Thank you!

nick262 said:
The sales person might be able to help you out with this. As I recall, when my husband and I bought in 2002, we were given printed temporary cards that day. Keep in mind this was in FL at the main DVC office long before the DL office opened. It might have changed since then, but I would still ask if there is anything they can give you.

You do get a temporary Membership card the day you join so you can start enjoying your Member Perks immediately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter