• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Annual Pass and Magic Band Question

tx2tn

"What fortuitous circumstance be this"
We are going to WDW in October. We have bought annual passes and have received the vouchers for them in the mail.

Will Disney send us new magic bands for them before our trip or do we only get them after we activate them at Guest Services?

If things haven't changed, I believe you'll get them in the mail. For me, it came in a "Passholder" Magicband box with a passholder slider for the MB and a card (not sure if they're still doing the card). However, what you should do is make sure you go into MDE, put your voucher info in, customize your bands and start the shipping process that way...

We are going to WDW in October. We have bought annual passes and have received the vouchers for them in the mail.

Will Disney send us new magic bands for them before our trip or do we only get them after we activate them at Guest Services?

You should be able to customize them once the voucher is linked.

You won't get the bands until after your trip. You'll get the customize option once at Disney when you activate the AP's. Then they'll be shipped

You won't get the bands until after your trip. You'll get the customize option once at Disney when you activate the AP's. Then they'll be shipped

I just purchased APs for my husband and I and we were told they will not ship them to us till we get to WDW window to activate them. So first trip new AP holders are without Magic Bands, which seems really stange. Can anyone tell me if our older Magic Bands which are linked to my account can work with the new AP once it is activated so we have Magic Bands and don't have to mess with carrying the card all the time..thanks

I just purchased APs for my husband and I and we were told they will not ship them to us till we get to WDW window to activate them. So first trip new AP holders are without Magic Bands, which seems really stange. Can anyone tell me if our older Magic Bands which are linked to my account can work with the new AP once it is activated so we have Magic Bands and don't have to mess with carrying the card all the time..thanks
Yes they will work as I just went through the same thing last week but remember you will need your card in order to get discounts when shopping

We purchased annual passes this year. We were send annual pass cards, to be activated on our first trip. This coming weekend, btw. We were also sent magic bands. Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me if our older Magic Bands which are linked to my account can work with the new AP once it is activated so we have Magic Bands and don't have to mess with carrying the card all the time..thanks

Yep. Any and all Magic Bands linked to your MDE account will access your ticket information.

If you are staying on site you are still eligible to have a set of MB mailed to you before your trip. If not, you will get the band AFTER you activate the voucher.

If you are staying at a Disney resort, you'll get free bands like everyone else. Once the voucher is exchanged, then you can order bands for your ap and they mail to your home.

So if staying on site, you get up to 2sets, 1 in time for the trip. Offsite, you get up to one but after your trip.

They will print your AP discount cards when you activate the pass at GR or a ticket window at the parks.

A few weeks after the AP is activated, an AP Magic Band will appear ready for customization in your MDE account. Your old Magic Bands will work for your trip as long as they're linked to the same MDE account as the AP.

If you are staying on site you are still eligible to have a set of MB mailed to you before your trip. If not, you will get the band AFTER you activate the voucher.
Thanks for clarifying. I wondered why some got MBs before, and other after. We are, obviously, staying on property.

Thanks for clarifying. I wondered why some got MBs before, and other after. We are, obviously, staying on property.
Yes they will work as I just went through the same thing last week but remember you will need your card in order to get discounts when shopping

Once I activate my AP and it is hooked to my older MB which is linked to my account, I will still need my AP card for discounts etc?? It won't show as a scan on my MB when making purchases? We are staying off site and yes I know there is no charging allowed for AP holders offsite but I thought it showed as an AP wristband if it was scanned....thanks for any info in advance

Once I activate my AP and it is hooked to my older MB which is linked to my account, I will still need my AP card for discounts etc?? It won't show as a scan on my MB when making purchases? We are staying off site and yes I know there is no charging allowed for AP holders offsite but I thought it showed as an AP wristband if it was scanned....thanks for any info in advance
You need to show the discount card and photo ID to get the AP discount.

They don't give out discount cards anymore, so you need the physical AP card. Guest Services can print one for you.

They don't give out discount cards anymore, so you need the physical AP card. Guest Services can print one for you.
It's just a card that says Passholder with your name on the back, it doesn't look like other ticket media. The CMs will call it your AP card, so I was just mimicking their language.

image.jpeg
It's just a card that says Passholder with your name on the back, it doesn't look like other ticket media. The CMs will call it your AP card, so I was just mimicking their language.

It actually is your AP. My nephew dislikes wearing a MB and uses it at the turnstiles and for FP

Last edited:
Once you use your AP to enter the park, it is activated. At that time, any and all Magic Bands linked to your MDE account will be identical in the system

The parking gate attendant will be able to see that you are a passholder for free parking. The gates will see that it is an AP but dining and retail will not, hence the need for the yellow card and photo ID.

Once you use your AP to enter the park, it is activated. At that time, any and all Magic Bands linked to your MDE account will be identical in the system

The parking gate attendant will be able to see that you are a passholder for free parking. The gates will see that it is an AP but dining and retail will not, hence the need for the yellow card and photo ID.
Actually, APs aren't like MYW tickets where once it's linked, you can just go to the tapstile and enter the park. With an AP, there's one extra step, you must go to the ticket window or GR to activate the AP before you can use it to enter the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter