Annual Pass Activation

Hewolf

Earning My Ears
I am wanting to buy an annual pass for the 50th anniversary in 2021. I have read in multiple places that the annual pass is not active until you visit the parks. If I bought a pass today could I wait until 2021 to activate it? I have read that you have until 2030 to activate an annual pass once it is purchased. I just wanted to confirm if this is true or not.

I am wanting to buy an annual pass for the 50th anniversary in 2021.
1. I have read in multiple places that the annual pass is not active until you visit the parks.
2. If I bought a pass today could I wait until 2021 to activate it?
3. I have read that you have until 2030 to activate an annual pass once it is purchased.
4. I just wanted to confirm if this is true or not.
1. Correct.
2. Yup.
3. At least.
4. True.

Oh wow! So we could technically buy Annual Passes for the 50th Anniversary now and lock in today's prices? ...as long as we stay out of the parks until then?

Oh wow!
1. So we could technically buy Annual Passes for the 50th Anniversary now and lock in today's prices?
2. ...as long as we stay out of the parks until then?
1. Yes.
2. It would not require "staying out of the parks."
Just because you HAVE an AP Certificate in your MDX account, it does not mean you have to activate it.
You can certainly buy/use any other tickets until such time as you are ready to activate that new AP.
And, just "showing up at the parks" does not activate an AP.
You must actually go through the process of intentionally activating the new AP.

Last edited:

As noted, the Ap does not become active until you go to Guest Services and activate it.
So you could buy the AP now, get a normal ticket and use it at the parks and then activate the AP in the future.

I also have an Annual Pass on my account that I have not activated yet. We booked a Free Dining package for November, so we were required to purchase additional 4 day tickets with that. We plan to use those tickets first, and save our Annual Pass for next year, or 2021. My question is, are we entitled to Annual Pass discounts on rooms, dining, and merchandise? Annual Pass discounts show on my MDE account, does anyone know what Disney’s policy is with non-activated APs? I would love a Passholder magnet from Food & Wine, but I don’t know if I will be allowed since I will be using the tickets from our package.

I also have an Annual Pass on my account that I have not activated yet. We booked a Free Dining package for November, so we were required to purchase additional 4 day tickets with that. We plan to use those tickets first, and save our Annual Pass for next year, or 2021. My question is, are we entitled to Annual Pass discounts on rooms, dining, and merchandise? Annual Pass discounts show on my MDE account, does anyone know what Disney’s policy is with non-activated APs? I would love a Passholder magnet from Food & Wine, but I don’t know if I will be allowed since I will be using the tickets from our package.
Not likely. When you activate your AP, you are given a card with your name on it for the AP discount. You have to show that card for the discount, just like showing the DVC card to get that discount.
When going through the line fo rthe passholder magnets, they look at your card and scan your MB. At least they have in the past.

So the next question would be... Is there a pattern to when AP prices are raised? To be able to guestimate the last possible moment to buy tickets, to lock in today's prices?

So the next question would be... Is there a pattern to when AP prices are raised? To be able to guestimate the last possible moment to buy tickets, to lock in today's prices?

Nope. For several years, it was mid-February. Then they threw in an October increase, along with date-based tickets. And then another significant increase in June. So yeah, no pattern.

Some years there is at least a hint floating on social media a few days before, but not always.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter