Announcement by Disney In NYC 9/23/10

I think the castle thing is kinda cool.

It looks to be a show as opposed to a continuous thing.

http://www.wdwnews.com/ViewVideo.aspx?VideoID=115597

I do agree that it is a cute idea, but...... did they really need to make a big deal about a major announcement and then that was all there was? :confused3

Sorry, I guess that it may be a big deal for some, there were just so many that were waiting for other big announcements.

I'm not criticizing anyone, just wondering, why wouldn't you want your child shown on the castle?

From what I'm seeing, once you submit your story to the "memories" page, people can view your story and "like" it. Perhaps they are picking the photos with the most "likes".

I was going to say that disney may introduce a system where your card is marked that the photos are not to be used in the promotion (castle or worldwide media), but we are talking about disney and lets face it, they dont seem to be able to get a website working let alone some this technical.

From what I understand, you have to opt-in on the specific picture - the PP CM will ask you. They could then do it similar to what they do when dealing with problem cards, etc. - create a "key frame" first by taking a "blank" picture that can easily be scanned for. Or otherwise use a special PP card that goes straight to the people handling them, and you can get a copy my going to the PP kiosks and having them find it by location/time and they'll add it to your PP as well.

I'm not criticizing anyone, just wondering, why wouldn't you want your child shown on the castle?

From what I'm seeing, once you submit your story to the "memories" page, people can view your story and "like" it. Perhaps they are picking the photos with the most "likes".
The question to me isn't so much, "Why wouldn't you..."

It's more, "Why would you..."

I already know what I look like. I know what my family looks like. I don't need to see any of us on the castle.

And I don't want to see any randoms up there, either.

The question to me isn't so much, "Why wouldn't you..."

It's more, "Why would you..."

I already know what I look like. I know what my family looks like. I don't need to see any of us on the castle.

And I don't want to see any randoms up there, either.

There are some great opinions I'm not sure if I would want my photo up on the castle maybe...ordinarily I don't like photos of myself but I know my kids would think it was cool to see themselves and our family on the castle and from the clip I saw individual photos only last for a few seconds so maybe a photo of myself wouldn't be too bad... I do have a video that I am thinking of sending in. I am not sure I want to share it though. It is wonderful memory and after the moment people who saw it walked up to our family with tears thanking us for allowing them to see our reunion. Again not sure I am willing to share that with the entire world but I am considering it because it is one of those moments that was made even more special because we were at WDW.

But basically there is no way Disney is going to please everyone. With Million Dreams people loved it when they won prizes , people hated it when they didn't, what will you celebrate people loved it when they got the birthday ticket/FP/gc on their birthday, people hated it when they weren't able to get to WDW on their birthday, GADGAD people loved they could volunteer and get a free ticket for themselves and their family if the participated too, people hated it when there weren't eligible volunteeer oppurtunities in their area, when people showed up to volunteer got their paper signed and left, when the tickets ran out after a short time. Point being some people will love this campaign and others won't, others don't care either way. Some people wish there was no campaign at all. I figure I am luckier than most people to get to go to WDW at all and to have been able to have already been several times. My vacation memories are what I make of them regardles of what is going on - on the castle or if there is a campaign going on at all.

Because if members of the Dis Boards see the photo they will accuse your child of being "special needs" and then argue about it for 35 pages. :rotfl:

My opinion after watching the video Kevin posted... DO NOT LIKE. OK, I like when they were putting up old Disney photos and video on the castle, but I didn't like the family photos scrolling across.

If it's more like a show that runs for a short time each evening, and is just projected onto the castle itself without the need for adding screens or anything, then I can't see people really having a problem with Disney "changing" the castle. And after watching the video, the tinkerbell portion and some of the color changing effects at the end were pretty cool. The photo examples were less successful, in my opinion. And if they're going to show up to 500 a day, I wouldn't want to spend my time waiting around to see if we were one of the lucky few who "made it."

I think what I found most underwhelming about the new promotion is that is just feels rehashed and cheap. "Start making memories?" They just now figured out that people go to WDW to make memories? At least YOAMD and GAD were innovative ideas. And the last 3 promotions actually gave something back to guests. Maybe it was just an ear hat or lanyard and pins (YOAMD), or a 1 day ticket or gift card (birthday promo), or a 1 day ticket or hat figurine with pins (GAD), but at least it was something. I don't see anything like that here. I don't mean to sound greedy or anything, but it just seems cheap.

Maybe WDW decided all the 1 day tickets they gave out over the last couple of years were "discounts" and this is their way of cutting back on them. :laughing:

How about, instead of a promotion, they increased the service level, and made sure EVERY Disney cast member was a shining example of the Disney Difference?

I like this idea. As long as there is consent of the subject for their photos to be displayed, but who wouldn't want their photos on Cinderella castle.

I like the Tinkerbell flying around too(even though I don't like her)

I like the idea. I mean who wouldn't want to have their face scrolling across Cinderella's Castle for everyone to see? But how much do you want to bet we are going to hear about people saying things like:

"I didn't see my face on the castle, my trip is ruined"

Someone is bound to say it.

I admit that I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread but I have ask ...

Why does Disney always think they need some "hook" or "new marketing strategy" to get people into the parks. Yes, I am a freak for Disney obviously, but it's great on its own! Why do they think we need more of an incentive to go other than the fun rides, decent shows, and general merriment? :confused3 And if there are people out there who DO need more of an incentive, do they think that a slide show of strangers on the already-beautiful, unadorned, and magical castle is going to do it?

I admit that I haven't read all 7 pages of this thread but I have ask ...

Why does Disney always think they need some "hook" or "new marketing strategy" to get people into the parks. Yes, I am a freak for Disney obviously, but it's great on its own! Why do they think we need more of an incentive to go other than the fun rides, decent shows, and general merriment? :confused3 And if there are people out there who DO need more of an incentive, do they think that a slide show of strangers on the already-beautiful, unadorned, and magical castle is going to do it?

I don't think the pictures on the castle is going to be anybody's reason for coming to Disney, but I don't have a problem with the marketing campaigns either. They aren't really geared to us though and some are definitely better than others. My personal favorite was Remember the Magic from the late 90's. Most all companies have marketing strageties no matter how good their product is. It can be the best product in the world, but they still have to work to bring people in to try it.

From time to time you will see advertisements for Photo Contests. Some are legitimate. Some are scams to get free photos. The legitimate contests award a prize and have very limited rights to use the photos submitted to the contest. The other contests have a cheap award in comparison to what they gather. These contests take in a large number of photos. If you read the fine print the photographer has given the contest the right to do what they want with the photo with no obligation to the photographer.

The contest then goes and sells the submitted photos to people who wish to use the images. The contest spends some money on advertising, editing of the photos and a prize. In return they get free content that they sell.

Disney appears to be doing something similar. They say, "Some memories will be shared online, while others may be selected to share in print ads, brochures and other marketing – including television ads to air across the United States and Canada." I looked to see if I could find the small print but would have to register at the website which I do not want to do. It would be interesting to see if Disney will pay the photographer for the use of photos or videos used on a TV commercial or advertising in magazines.

I would not mind a photo of us being displayed on the Castle. Even for free. :lmao: Though I wish they would display the photos on a different building. Course WHICH building is as large and centrally located than the Castle. ;):)

But to use a photo of the kids in a full page advertisement in Time magazine without being paid? I think not.

It really sounds like Disney is using this promotion to get free media to use in advertising campaigns. I hope I am wrong and the fine print says that the photographers will be paid if their content is used. Otherwise it is very sleazy.

Later,
Dan

What was that announcement? I expected to hear news, not a commercial for WDW. To make a special announcement for a new ad campaign is disappointing. Who is running that place?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter