• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom.....

jemjem

Earning My Ears
We are visiting from the UK in April and on our first full day I'm planning on AK. We will be jetlagged so will get there for extra early half hour and I will also probably buy LL for FOP. Won't get Genie +.

I'd like to do all the rides (am assuming Everest will still be closed) and also do the walking trails but also conscious it will be our first day and we will be tired. No other days planned for AK.

We'd like to go to Saana at AK Lodge after the park and I've managed to get a lunch reservation at 2.50 and a dinner reservation at 5pm! Any ideas as to which is more achievable?! We will have a car so I did think we could do the lunch and if we feel we need to go back to AK afterwards we could or just head back to the Swan Reserve. How far is it from the Park to the Lodge?

I want to cancel one of the reservations sooner rather than later so just after any advice really!

The Lodge is about 5 minutes away while driving, so I'd think either would be do-able. Depending on park hours, I'd lean towards the late lunch.

I would agree with the lunch option, but feel like you'd have to return to the park to finish your day. I don't think you'd get everything done by 2:30pm without Genie+, and even if you did, you might feel pretty rushed trying to squeeze everything in which for me wouldn't be an enjoyable first day experience.

If you did leave for dinner at 5pm you probably would be ending your day at the park at that time as it looks like AK closes at 7pm most nights in April. Assuming you get in at 8:30am for the extra half hour and start heading for your car at 4:30pm that would be 8 hours in the park. You would also need to budget additional time to eat something before dinner.

You would have closer to 9 hours in the park if you left around 2:30pm for the late lunch and returned around 4:15pm or so (plus you could always get in line somewhere at park close to extend it for one final ride). Then after the park closes you are free to go anywhere for a late dinner.

I would choose the lunch, mostly for the break from walking around. 8:30-2:30 is 6 hours of touring. We are usually ready to leave for our hotel by that point of the day....for naps.

Thanks all- think we're going for the lunch option and then can play by ear whether we want to go back! I have a 13 and 14 year old - I suspect they will have had enough by then!

I would do lunch and head back to AK. The park is gorgeous at night. Seeing the show on the tree of life is cool. And wait times are very low at the end of the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter