Animal Kingdom - okay, just a zoo...?

nuttymsw

Earning My Ears
I was at first planning on going to animal kingdom, but then... After budget considerations, I feel the need to ask why it's any different from a zoo. We have a very nice zoo near us where animals roam free, so...is it really worth it??? What makes animal kingdom, and sea world for that matter, any different from other large city's zoos/aquariums?

nahtazu!

well, it offers a lot more than traditional zoos really. there's nothing i'm aware of like the kilimanajaro safari except for the photo safaris at the wild animal park. the shows, the live entertainment, the rides, the shopping. the on stage veterinary procedures. a bunch of miscellaneous things.

i'm a big zoo/aquarium enthusiast and i probably respect DAK even more for it. the AZA even has DAK staff on its staff and board.

they have komodo dragons, which i think is relatively rare for zoos (i need to doublecheck that too in a min)

i even reluctantly took the backstage safari tour, despite having done the photo safaris at wild animal park, spending the night at the national zoo and seeing the housing area for the big cats, etc, and i was more than pleasantly surprised.

as far as sea world goes, no comment. the one in san diego puts the orlando one to shame in my opinion. except for kraken.

ETA: i was wrong on the komodos. I just forgot the count but like 30 zoos in north america have them. owell.

Does your zoo have expedition Everest, Festival of the Lion King, Pocohantis, Nemo, the musical, It's tough to be a bug, Mickey's Jammin Jungle parade and Kali River Rapids? The only things there that felt like a zoo were the two major and one minor set of walking trails plus the Conservation Station.

does your zoo have a charactor breakfast buffet? Donald's Breakfastosaurus. my family and i have a blast here. we love to eat there. good food.

it's not that I have something against animal kingdom...I was actually excited about it. However, my kids are only 2 and 4. When we were watching travel channel, my kids only saw the animals with the same fascination they had at the pet store. :) I'm really trying to think about it from their perspective. What got me thinking more about it was a few people I've spoken with who said that it wasn't worth it and that they would never go back. Another concern is that I frequently read on these sights that it's a half day park at best...Also, the cost of the safari is so much, is it really just driving through a zoo in a car? How does everyone else feel about animal kingdom? I'm looking for confirmation that it is a worthwhile park... :)

Its still April 1st here, so.

"Sure, its just like a zoo."

:goodvibes

It's definately not a zoo. Much different, much better, much more. That said I personally didn't really care for it as much as the other parks and wouldn't hesitate to skip it if I had time crunch or other conflict. Just my opinion.

I agree that AK is much more than a Zoo. The Lion King show is one of the best in all of the parks, the parade is great, and EE is great. That being said, I don't love this park. It always seems very hot and I get sick of it fast. We really try to not do more than a 1/2 day here...but you could go all day. We usually end up staying longer than we plan just to finish it up for the trip.

That said....not much of it feels like a "zoo". Even the safari ride is more like a "ride" to me. We've done the Wild Animal Park train safari near San Diego...and it was much more zoo like.

If you have hoppers, do a 1/2 day here.

Disclaimer-I do think I am someone who just doesn't like animals all that much!

does your zoo have a charactor breakfast buffet? Donald's Breakfastosaurus. my family and i have a blast here. we love to eat there. good food.

I 100% agree this is the best way to start your day..and actually we make this our first full day expirence and park. I think DAK is beautiful. Granted we do more at other parks BUT overall its my favorite park. We actually in Sept are doing this breakfast twice....and making a point to see DAK at night for its beauty.

FOR OP! The safari is included in your admission price. You might be thinking of the safari that AKL guests get to do.

Also, the cost of the safari is so much, is it really just driving through a zoo in a car?

I'm not sure if I am misreading what you said, but Kilimanjaro Safaris in AK is one of the attractions - you don't have to pay extra for it and (if you want) you can wait in line and go on it as many times as you would like... I LOOOVE AK - my second fave park at WDW behind MK - it has so much to offer that a "regular" zoo doesn't. The musicals and stage shows are incredible - Broadway-scale spectaculars put on several times a day. The new Nemo musical is amazing - they have a 22-foot long octopus puppet! The theatre was filled with young-uns and the whole show you could hear their "oooohs" and "ahhhhs" at the puppets. Best counter-service food in WDW (Roasted chicken at Tusker House - mmmmmmm!!!!!). Expedition Everest alone (although not for the kids) makes it worth it. Just the theming walking around the different areas - statues, benches, everything fits together. You really should try. It's not at all a half-day park, especially because a lot of the time, the hours are shorter than the other parks 9am-5pm in the winter.

We're actually going to AK 2 out of our 6 days at Disney. My daughter LOVES animals. We go to the zoo here in Nashville 3-4 times a week. We bought a membership as a way to save money for Disney. I thought I'd take her to the zoo instead of shopping or to the movies or out to dinner. I thought she would get bored with it, but she wakes up and them first thing she asks is, "Are we going to the zoo?" It's good exercise for us, so I take her as long as it isn't raining. AK for us is a must do because her father loves animals as much as she does. We're animal people, and we have the pets to prove it. I think it depends on your family. If you aren't animal freaks, like us, then skip it. You know your family best.

If you think it's not worth it, don't go. As others have said, it's not a zoo. There are other things there, maybe not so many for kids the age of yours. It's decision you need to make, not have people here at the DIS make for you, unless you want someone to blame if you don't like it. You should check out the official web site where there are probably pictures and descriptions. You could always get a park hopper and go there part of the day without feeling like you "wasted" a day.

You might be confusing the safari that is offered to AKL concierge visitors with the Kilimanjaro Safari in the park. They are 2 different things entirely.

I completely see your concern - But I just have to tell you - we love - love - triple love AK.

My kids were 5 and 7 when we went. We spent almost 2 full days there.

I grew up in St. Louis, which has a great zoo. I've been to many great zoos - Washington DC, Cincinnati, etc.

Just don't thind about it like it's a zoo. One can only compare AK to a zoo, if one compares MK to Chuck E Cheese (no offense to my children who love Chuck E, but they are just not in the same realm).

AK is an experience.

If it were me, with a 2 and 4 year old - I would - get there for opening, watch the characters out on the bus. Then, do the safari, and again on FP. The safari feels so different than the typical zoo experience.

Then I would do the Lion King show - which is absolutely exceptional - worth the trip to the AK in and of itself.

Walk over to Kali - if your kids are up for it, ride Kali. My 5 y/o didn't want to ride, but she's always been pretty hesitant. Take in the theming at Kali and in the whole Asia area.

I would skip the bird show, personally - it was good, but it was pretty much what I've seen at good zoos or Sea World.

We were there before EE, so I can't speak to it, except to say that it sounds really cool.

Take a break in the day if you have to after riding whatever rides fit your family.

Then get back to AK in time for the afternoon parade. That parade felt so personal. I guess you aren't technically any closer to the characters than at MK, but it felt like you were. Lots of folks from the Lion King show were in the parade - including the stilt walkers. I loved the parade - a lot. Bought the CD with the Lion King music because of the parade.

Stay hydrated. Prepare to sweat. Rent the double stroller. And enjoy.

Hope you have a great trip!

Leah

I have been trying to show my DH that it is not just a zoo also. Some people he works with went there and go tthat impression of it. I told him they have not been on the DIS and therefore did not know what to see! MY kids are 4 and 6 right now and very excited about the Kali River Rapids. Me, I gotta ride EE. I am a total coaster junkie. Then there are all the cool things there like Devine and the shows that only Disney can do.

Are you getting the park hopper option? If so then it won't cost you anything extra anyhow. If you don't like it you can always go back to MK.

My personaly opinion is Festival of the Lion King is worth admission to the park by itself. The new Nemo show looks just as great, especially for little ones. AK is one of our favorite parks. I have not seen the parade but many people say it is the best day parade at WDW. There is a lot to do here I promise.

Well, I LOVE zoos and we don't have access to a big one here in Eastern Canada, so I'd be happy if it was a zoo with Disney charm and flair ! But it's not just a zoo. I think "nahtazu" is unfortunate... better to think of it as zoo+++!

The other thing, in addition to those people have mentioned, that I really value in AK over other parks is the wooded grounds. I feel, I don't know, very relaxed and like I can breathe again when we go to AK after a day or two in the cityscape of MK or Epcot.

And if your kids are at all dinosaur-crazy, they will love the Boneyard. With 2 of that age, don't mess around with the climbing structure... get a cast member to direct you to the sandbox with "dinosaur bones" hidden at the bottom, and let 'em dig away. Come to think of it, that's the trouble with Disneyworld with very young kids... a sandbox is just as magical as a big show or ride! We had to drag our daughter away on our first visit when she was 5.

With young kids, though, I don't think you'll suffer if you don't do every park and experience everything on one trip. If you don't much like the sound of the place and feel it's too similar to your zoo at home, put it at a low priority and don't go. I guarantee you won't miss it if your kids are captured by the magic of MK and MGM and you're busy just doing those parks. But I'd certainly put AK ahead of Epcot for preschoolers. Just my two cents.

...............it does not even remotely resemble an actual zoo. It's a theme
park on the grandest scale. Not a zoo, no, no, no...................:sad2:

I'll chime in with everyone else. It most certainly is NOT a zoo. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I love AK. It's a fabulous park with so much to see and do. When we go again next year, we plan on going for at least ten days. Two of those days will be spent at AK. The Safari, Festival of the Lion King, Expedition Everest, It's Tough To Be a Bug, Tusker House...these are some of my favorite things in all the World. And the park itself is gorgeous.

it's not a zoo, it's a nice respite from the other theme parks, with all the trees, pathways and animals to see - with rides & attractions to fill it out

I don't know how many "not a zoos" you need to convince you, but I'll chime in. It's not a zoo!

If I were going to skip any of the four parks, it would probably be MGM -- not that I dislike it... it's just the one park I would choose to skip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter