Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL) Direct Sales Incentive

If the offer was for $165 direct initial purchase I would have bought direct for that over our resale.

I just think the incentives for VDH when first available won't be as good as people say it is, remember this is Disney and listening to their base as not always been their strength.
They won't need to be great for an initial sales frenzy.

For someone who wants to own direct for the ability to use at resorts and really wants AKV, it is a pretty nice deal…of course it’s more than resale right now, but a year ago, AKV resale was in the $130s.

You still end up with your resort of choice, unrestricted points, and eligibility for membership extras, whatever they may be. If you have a family of 4 and the Sorcerer pass, or any ticket discount comes along, you could eat away at that extra pretty quickly.
True the direct perks can definitely make this for the right people if you don’t already own direct. I feel like I just have a little hesitancy because AKV is pretty easy to snag at 7 months unless you’re aiming for club/values (if you are and need direct then this is perfect for you). It might also not be bad to have another contract to have some spare points to be used for RIV and newer hotels. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ to each their own, I’m sure this is a good deal for somebody out there.

If they reduced the minimum points for a blue card back to where it was in 2019, 100pts, and the minimum points for the $165 per point to 100, I might be interested. But 200 points is too large of a commitment if you don't go every single year. AKL is my favorite resort and I was in the market for a AKV contract after our wonderful Dec 2019 WDW trip. But too much has changed since then (among them, the loss of free FP+ and Magical Express) for me to consider buying DVC unless I get a screaming good deal. Looking at Aulani resale contracts at the moment for an occasional Oahu trip and SAP to tag on a few nights at WDW to our Universal trips.

This is very strong evidence that demand is extremely low right now. These are the best direct prices seen at any WDW DVC for at least 3-4 years.

Some speculation: You will see even larger incentives at GFV and RIV in the next cycle..
I don’t think that is true, we have seen PVB/BLT/BWV have direct sales in last 2 years and all had about 25%+ off at 200pts.

In May 2021 SSR was $155pp at 200pts

Not sure you can correlate this offer to future incentives at on sale resorts, just seems to be DVC cycling through resorts to give various options to would be buyers

I don’t think that is true, we have seen PVB/BLT/BWV have direct sales in last 2 years and all had about 25%+ off at 200pts.

Not sure you can correlate this offer to future incentives at on sale resorts, just seems to be DVC cycling through resorts to give various options to would be buyers
Yeah from what I have seen is that they raise the initial price and then do these sales to bring it back to the original price

If Disney really wanted to pull in more money on Direct Sales right now, they would temporarily drop the initial buy in for Blue Card Benefits back down to 25 points. I bet they would get a lot of Resale Members to add on for that deal. At least I would. :)
25 points sure. The middle ground would be an interesting dilemma to me. I am not sure if I would do it or not.

I've actually thought about whether I would buy in if DL dropped the min to 100. I don't even want to go to DL and don't have a use for the Blue Card, and I still see the siren of FOMO in California.

25 points sure. The middle ground would be an interesting dilemma to me. I am not sure if I would do it or not.

I've actually thought about whether I would buy in if DL dropped the min to 100. I don't even want to go to DL and don't have a use for the Blue Card, and I still see the siren of FOMO in California.

I feel like its very difficult for them to drop the minimum on points required for benefits, especially with resale restrictions in place as well. Difficult does not mean impossible but very very difficult.

It is one of the two levers that make people buy direct and I am sure they have done some math on what level of direct points makes them profit even after discounts/etc. If they suddenly drop this to 25, even if it is to inspire some sales, you have a ton of people who are able to get all the benefits with minimal investment direct to DVC. Not to mention all the angry direct buyers who bought 150 thinking they had no choice.

If Disney really wanted to pull in more money on Direct Sales right now, they would temporarily drop the initial buy in for Blue Card Benefits back down to 25 points. I bet they would get a lot of Resale Members to add on for that deal. At least I would. :)

They may drop the minimum for purchase but I would very much doubt they drop the membership extras minimum.

Even without that, you let new buyers in at 100, that will spark more direct sales because the points are still good everywhere and resale are not..and then, those owners won’t have far to go to get to the 150.

Since this whole program to remove membership extras benefits from resale started 7 years ago, I do t see them reversing that.

I'd have to look, but I don't believe PVB/BLT/BWV were under $170 per point any time in the last 2 years.

I didn't realize SSR got as low as $155.

I'd have to look, but I don't believe PVB/BLT/BWV were under $170 per point any time in the last 2 years.

I didn't realize SSR got as low as $155.
No, not under $170 for PVB/BLT/BWV but all had at least 25% off at 200pts, which is about same as this,
in fact both BLT/PVB had same deal $45pp off at 200pts
https://www.dvcnews.com/dvc-program...-to-50-per-point-on-bay-lake-tower-polynesian

SSR info here
https://www.dvcnews.com/dvc-program...ricing-for-six-resorts-price-increase-for-two

If I were in the market to add on, I’d be very tempted with this, as I love AKV. But I already own there, though only 120 of my points are direct (at $186/point), and I bought them over time (30,30,50).

I’m possibly considering buy VDH when it opens, and want to see what the new Poly ends up being. At the same time, my financial situation is different - eldest is now in college, youngest will be in 2 years, my investments took a huge hit last year, my job has slashed bonuses and profit share - so I also may decide not to make any add-one in the foreseeable future, or may decide if I want to sell in order to add-on.

If Reflections were still a thing, I’d absolutely be adding on.

While I would love some points at the VDH, I have been in talks with my guide and hope to own 200 more direct points by the end of the week at AKV. I have been thinking about this for a couple weeks and think that the deal I am getting is what I was looking for. I am super excited

We are putting in our application for the Disney Premier Visa tonight and I've already spoken with our guide, he'll be hearing from us as soon as we receive the card!
We currently only own resale and have been waiting for our moment to finally buy direct. We were holding off for Poly2 however we currently own at AKL and at PVB. We figure, if Poly2 joins the same association we'll be able to stay there with our PVB points, if it becomes it's own (assuming resale restrictions), we'll now still be able to stay there at 7 months with our direct points.
To go from the prices we were bracing for on Poly2, to 165pp is a breath of fresh air!

Last edited:
We are current resale owners at AKL considering this. We would sell our resale contract when the market comes back a little bit. We would end up with 40 more points than we currently have, plus the annual pass savings x 4 people. We just wish financing options were better right now. Thinking, thinking…

We are current resale owners at AKL considering this. We would sell our resale contract when the market comes back a little bit. We would end up with 40 more points than we currently have, plus the annual pass savings x 4 people. We just wish financing options were better right now. Thinking, thinking…
Or just keep all the points! Forever! :P but really it's not a bad idea to switch over and get those direct perks/points able to book at RIV/VDH if that matters to you.

I have done this...sold BWV in 2019 to buy RIV direct, adding my adult children, so they are now official DVC Y owners who have access to all the perks moving forward.

I also did it last year and sold my SSR to take advantage of the great pricing on VGF for in presales for owners....it did end up costing me money to do the switch, but getting the few extra years, and more points for home resort advantage!

So, I say go for it!!

Or just keep all the points! Forever! :P but really it's not a bad idea to switch over and get those direct perks/points able to book at RIV/VDH if that matters to you.
I plan on keeping our resale points to rent out and will cover our annual dues for the resale and direct contract. If you find that to be a big hassle, then you can sell it. otherwise you wont have to pay for annual dues out of your own pocket

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter