• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Angel tree girl is 9 yrs. Help me with what to buy.

I’m a 4th grade teacher. This year's 9 and 10 year old girls are obsessed with VSCO. They are all about Hydro flasks with stickers to decorate them, tons of colorful scrunchies, shell necklaces, Starbucks, Vans, Crocs, Water Birks, etc...

Get to Starbucks today and you could add a free reusable cup for her.

Last edited:
You are lucky to get a 9 yo. All of ours are teenagers asking for ridiculous items like Jordan’s, iPhone, iPads and visa gift cards.
You mean teenagers who just want to fit in with their peers and dont want to be thought of as poor? Those are status symbols of NORMALCY amongst teens, as silly as you might think they are.

Gift ideas:
Simple beauty items: lip gloss, lotion, hand cleanser, hair accessories
Journals, cool pens
Funky Bedroom accessories
Bathrobe and slippers

You mean teenagers who just want to fit in with their peers and dont want to be thought of as poor? Those are status symbols of NORMALCY amongst teens, as silly as you might think they are.

Gift ideas:
Journals, cool pens
Bathrobe and slippers
Well for our Angel tree they want those giving to pick something from their list to give them. I not going to give someone pens/lip gloss/lotion when they those items I listed. So far no one has taken one of their names off the tree which is sad but unfortunately it is out of everyone’s budget to purchase someone $150+

Those are status symbols of NORMALCY amongst teens, as silly as you might think they are.

Gift ideas:
Journals, cool pens
Bathrobe and slippers

For beauty items for teens girls: E.L.F. cosmetics are quite cheap. You can get some of the lip glosses from the dollar store. Rite Aid has a display of makeup & brushes for about $3. The quality is comparable to the more expensive name brand stuff.

Target has a little beauty cart in the cosmetics section, on weekends and some other afternoons, where they give out different samples. You can probably get some fun stuff there. Ask, and they probably have stuff from different weekends still tucked away in the cart. I've gotten facial masks, moisturizers, shampoo samples. Some colors of their lipstick & eye color testers are never opened or used. Every once in a while, if they have those, you may snag one. I mixed a little bit of a way too bright, Maybelline 24 hr lip color with my E.L.F. lip gloss, and now I've got a more subtle color that is long-wearing, glossy & sheer. :thumbsup2

We do an angel kind of thing at our church. Please don’t get dollar store stuff for them. Toys and such usually are not good quality, why give a toy that will break easily. Plus this is probably where parents that can’t afford things get little treats for their kids during the year. Christmas is special and These kids should get something special. I’m not saying expensive like iPad etc but something nice.

Our church’s Christmas Kindness had a limit of $50 per gift. So the kids that ask for more expensive items wound up with 2 $50 gift cards, and maybe a small token gift if the person was uncomfortable just giving a gift card.

Each young recipient received two gifts and two articles of clothing. However, if a coat was asked for, that was delivered immediately, not considered a gift.

I agree! This is why I mentioned the VSCO items. One of the hard things for poor kids is never feeling like they have the items that “fit in.”

I make it a point to shop for an Angel Tree child just as I would my own. Meaning that I look for every possible deal and sale but I get them what I would get my own- Nike’s not Wal Mart shoes etc...

There have certainly been years when I couldn’t afford to choose a child but when we do we do not head to Dollar Tree.

Yeah, I saw that and thought "oh it's the yearly how dare poor kids ask for expensive things they should be grateful for anything" attitude.

Yeah, I saw that and thought "oh it's the yearly how dare poor kids ask for expensive things they should be grateful for anything" attitude.

This has also turned into another DIS version of, "I always tip 30% or 40%, never 15% or 20%." :snooty:

:rotfl2:

You are lucky to get a 9 yo. All of ours are teenagers asking for ridiculous items like Jordan’s, iPhone, iPads and visa gift cards.
Why is a visa gift card a ridiculous item? They ask these kids what they wish for and they wish to have those like their friends and classmates do, I don't think many really expect to get them all but they can still wish. For the charity I work with we give the teens gift cards for the holidays.

Why is a visa gift card a ridiculous item? They ask these kids what they wish for and they wish to have those like their friends and classmates do, I don't think many really expect to get them all but they can still wish. For the charity I work with we give the teens gift cards for the holidays.
They want a $200 visa gift card.

I agree! This is why I mentioned the VSCO items. One of the hard things for poor kids is never feeling like they have the items that “fit in.”

I make it a point to shop for an Angel Tree child just as I would my own. Meaning that I look for every possible deal and sale but I get them what I would get my own- Nike’s not Wal Mart shoes etc...

There have certainly been years when I couldn’t afford to choose a child but when we do we do not head to Dollar Tree.
Thank you for those recommendations! I buy for a different program, but similar objective. The organization I contribute to asks for a $25/gift maximum. I'm not familiar with hydro flask, but when I do a search it seems like most the ones with the "sport top" are closer to $60+, but ones with the wide mouth top are closer to $35. Is one style more "in" than the others? I don't mind spending more, but I also don't want to go against the organization's policies because I know they set that amount for a reason. I think $35 is probably "close enough" but $60 wouldn't be.

Thank you for those recommendations! I buy for a different program, but similar objective. The organization I contribute to asks for a $25/gift maximum. I'm not familiar with hydro flask, but when I do a search it seems like most the ones with the "sport top" are closer to $60+, but ones with the wide mouth top are closer to $35. Is one style more "in" than the others? I don't mind spending more, but I also don't want to go against the organization's policies because I know they set that amount for a reason. I think $35 is probably "close enough" but $60 wouldn't be.

mad long as it has the Hydro logo and a sheet of cool stickers to add. I think it’s fine.

Slime!
Adult type coloring books and colored pencils
Warm fun socks
Girl LEGO set?
Puzzle?
Card games
American girl craft book or books
Chicken soup for the kids soul book
A big lollipop tied to the package

Depending on size and top option you can spend $30 and up for a Hydro Flask
The ones I'm getting for my kids are 32oz with a straw lid, and they are $45. I'll wait for a sale, or when a coupon is out for a place that sells them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter