• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anecdotes about my Disney kid

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
DS14 is raised as a Disney kid in that he has been going to Disney World yearly since he was 4.

Back when he was DS5, we went on the Disney Dream cruise ship. We stopped at some port in the Bahamas. The cruise had a daily schedule newspaper, and that day, the first sentence in the newspaper said that the captain strongly discouraged anybody from getting off the ship due to the huge number of muggings reported from previous guests visiting that port. So we stayed on the ship, and I explained to DS5 about the muggers. At 5 p.m., the ship started moving away and DS5 asked if everybody that got off had made it back to the ship. I said I didn’t know, I hoped so; anybody who didn’t were simple stuck there. DS5 said, “Those poor people! They are going to be mugged all night!”

When he became DS7, the Be Our Guest restaurant opened, and Disney sent us a special email offering us a fastpass to eat lunch there, once. I took up the offer and wrote it in my schedule. On the day we went, DS7 was looking at my schedule and asked, “Mama, what is a bog?” I said a bog is a swamp. He said “Why are we eating at the swamp?” I said what? Then I looked at the schedule and told him that bog stands for the Be Our Guest restaurant. So we ate there. The roast beef sandwiches had no mayo or any other sauce in it, so it was extremely dry. The cream puffs were so disgusting that we couldn’t eat it (we love cream puffs from any grocery store). The place was so packed with tables and people, and with such high ceiling, that the resonance was buzzing loudly like a beehive. After we got out of there, DS7 said, “Mama, let’s never eat at the bog again!”

When he was DS11, we stayed at the Grand Floridian for the first time. One day when we were leaving for the bus, we walked past Richard, the famous greeter, who smiled at us. Disney CMs had been smiling at us all along, and DS11 had never noticed until now. He said, “That old guy has such a nice smile, doesn’t he? He just seems genuinely friendly!” So I told him Richard’s story, how his wife died, and he was depressed until he heard the call: he would go to the Grand Floridian, and he would become a greeter there. He was 90 some years old and still doing it. DS11 was impressed.

The next day, we moved to the club level of the Polynesian, and we took the boat from the back dock, so we didn’t see Richard at the front gate. After we arrived, DS11 decided that he wanted to go back and see Richard to say goodbye. That was new; DS11 had never paid attention to any CMs, let alone wanting to say goodbye to them. I couldn’t go with him because I had a one year old baby who needed to nap, so DS11 went alone. He tried to take the Monorail but was stopped at the baggage check. They told him that he was too young to go to MK alone (Disney had recently slapped on the rule that you had to be 14 to be in the parks alone). DS11 explained that he was not going to the Magic Kingdom, he was going to the Grand Floridian, but they wouldn’t let him pass. So he turned around, ran downstairs, and jumped on the first bus that came along, remembering that the Poly and GF shared buses. He got to GF in no time but couldn’t find Richard anywhere. So he called me, and I called the club level concierge, who looked it up and said that Mr. Gerth wasn’t working that day.

Richard passed away soon afterwards, so DS11 never got to see him again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter