" And... your point is...?"

sing4joy

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our 2/11 Wonder and had a great time :flower I had read a couple of unfavorable kids clubs reviews here, and was feeling a bit concerned, especially for my 4 yr. old son. He was born with a craniofacial symdrome, and as a result, his facial features (eyes, cheekbones, ears) are different in appearance. He is a healthy, happy, friendly little guy with normal development and intelligence, but is not always welcmed by peers in new social settings due to his differences in appearance. :sad2:

Over time my daughter (10) has developed gracious ways of responding to some "less than kind" comments from other children in play settings. For this reason, I encouraged my dd to hang out with her brother in the club while he first settled in. After a short while I returned to check on them, and all (ds 4, ds7, dd10) were having a blast - each doing their own thing ( Youngest involved in group tag with others his age). I checked with my daughter to find out if there were any concerns with her brother, and she did share with me that one child in that group of tag had run up to a counselor, pointed to my son, and shouted "his face is different!"

In response, the counselor paused, and with a calm and somewhat confused expression, politely replied," And... your point is..." My dd said the pointing child remained quiet for a moment and then ran off to play. And that was that.

In similiar situations, my dd would typically respond to such a child with some long sentiment of how God created us each differently, we are all special, etc. etc... and while there are many approaches to respond to such a comment, the counselor's simple words, politely stated, assured others that his different look was not an issue or concern. And he was able to communicate this without a long wordy explanation that might have left my son ( and even the other child) feeling uncomfortable. I was grateful.

And on a more general note, I hope I can encourage any other parents by sharing that during my (many) visits to the club, I observed the counselors supervising with care, sensitivity involvement and interest. I especially observed how they would respond to those children who looked unahappy, or were not as engaged as others during "free" time. They were invited to color, play, etc. one counselor plopped out the potato heads and played with one timid child for a bit, and others soon joined in. As I mentioned I stopped in often, and saw my 4 year old enjoying a wii tournament, group parachute play and on stage in a dancing game, to name a few.

All three of my children made special friendships and left with happy, memorable experiences. (And my dd also left with a new response she can borrow when confonted with a less than kind comment about her brother..."and your point is...?" ;)

God is good :)

Oh, that's wonderful. I'm glad it was such a happy experience for you and your family.

:)

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for sharing. And what a great way for the counselor to respond!!

My only point is at the end of an exclamation when I say,
what a great response! God Bless Your Family.

It's great to hear that your children had a special time. Your daughter sounds like a wonderful, compassionate child. How fortunate you are!

Thank you for your kind, encouraging responses :)

Wonderful to see how accepting diversity, and embracing unity, is appartantly more than just a Disney "image" - as we experienced the blessing of these values from them first hand.
We will be back again.. again .. and again ;)

Thanks for sharing! What a GREAT response by that counselor! I too have been a bit worried reading some of the concerns expressed about the kids clubs. We leave for our cruise on the Wonder in 25 days and am so glad to hear this positive experience. It sounds like you have 3 wonderful, caring and kind children!

God is Good - All of the Time! :love:

Good to hear that your family had a positive experience and well done to the counsellor for such a great answer :)

Mel
x

What a wonderful response and wonderful counselor. That just said "Disney" to me. :goodvibes Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! :flower3:

What a great story for all to hear!! Your daughter is obviously a very special young lady!! As I'm sure the rest of your kids are!! Thanks for sharing!!

My son loved being in the kids club, to the point that we were dragging him out at night pouting. (He cried the last night!! Almost had my DW and I in tears!!) We made checks on our son too, rather frequently the first few days. After that he would see us and start pounting thinking we were taking him out. And while on Castaway Cay he went with the group and later I had to get him for a tour we booked. He was pouting when we left and when Mommy asked what was wrong he cried saying they were getting ready to have a Caribbean Beach Party and I made him leave!! (MEAN DADDY!!)

We put my daughter in Flounders Reef one day while we took my son on an excursion, and when we returned she was rested (they got her to nap!!!!) and very happy!! Later we received a large envelope at our cabin. It was pictures of her playing, art work she had done, and a mouse pad with a picture of her framed by Disney charachters!! We didn't pay a lot for her to be there, but we got our moneys worth... and then some!!

We'll be back on next year!!

Thank you for sharing your experience! So many times we only read about negative experiences -- it's so nice to hear the wonderful ones as well!:goodvibes

Thank you for sharing your experience! So many times we only read about negative experiences -- it's so nice to hear the wonderful ones as well!:goodvibes

I agree. This is so great to hear and I am so glad that they had a great experience and most of all had fun.

Thanks for sharing your experience... your story brought tears to my eyes! I am a nurse who works with children and I do believe I will borrow that quote when the need arises!

Thank you. I was certainly in tears writing it :sad1:( good tears!)

My big regret is that in the busyness of activities I neglected to express my appreciation to the counselor :sad2: Unfortunately don't have a name, but will definitely plan to send detailed letter to Cruiseline. Would love to thank and encourage the staff for the sensitivity they express in these special situations. :flower3:

Blessings,
Helen

Thank you. I was certainly in tears writing it :sad1:( good tears!)

My big regret is that in the busyness of activities I neglected to express my appreciation to the counselor :sad2: Unfortunately don't have a name, but will definitely plan to send detailed letter to Cruiseline. Would love to thank and encourage the staff for the sensitivity they express in these special situations. :flower3:

Blessings,
Helen

Thank you so much for taking the time to type this out, it is a Wonderful story. :goodvibes

I would encourage you to write to DCL with as much detail as you can remember, even if you don't have the counselor's name. This kind of thing gets posted in the employee area and provides great encouragement to go forth and do likewise!

Katherine

Thank you for your story! One of my sons has Goldenhar Syndrome, which may or may not be what your son has, but I know how you feel! We're looking forward to our first cruise and I worry less and less the more I hear stories like yours. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter