And yet another school massacre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pfff.

People keep talking mental health. Get active and push for mental health reform.
You don’t need 300 million people to agree. Just the majority or whatever in congress.

Spouting population size is a cop out.
We can’t talk talk politics here but if you google filibuster you may understand what I’m talking about.

I grew up in Texas. All over the state, it was common to see trucks with guns in gun racks in our school parking lots. Truth be told, they often weren’t even locked and ammo was probably in that same truck. Yet, no one shot up a school. What changed?

School shootings aren’t about guns, but about what is inside the hearts and minds of the shooters. And I have no idea how to legislate a cure for that.

Pfff.

People keep talking mental health. Get active and push for mental health reform.
You don’t need 300 million people to agree. Just the majority or whatever in congress.

Spouting population size is a cop out.
FWIW, I don't entirely disagree with some of your points (like trying to keep the focus on the loss of life :( ) but you can't on the one hand be consistent about being ignorant (and not said in a rude way) of how the U.S. works, various ways to find out information about how certain things work in the U.S. because you don't really care much about the U.S. and on the other hand say statements like you did above. It doesn't work like that. Either inform yourself (and it isn't as if I'm saying Americans are completely well informed either because we really aren't on a lot of things) or choose to sit in the background but have sympathies for the events as they unfold.

I grew up in Texas. All over the state, it was common to see trucks with guns in gun racks in our school parking lots. Truth be told, they often weren’t even locked and ammo was probably in that same truck. Yet, no one shot up a school. What changed?

School shootings aren’t about guns, but about what is inside the hearts and minds of the shooters. And I have no idea how to legislate a cure for that.
You can’t just sit there and say “I don’t know what changed but it was fine before so let’s leave it”.
Maybe look to other countries and follow their examples.
Try anything! Something!

I don't understand how americans feel safe to send their kids to school.

I have a kid in school. These shootings are heartbreaking but I also know, statistically, my child being a victim of one is still very small. He is in more danger on the ride to school than in school. I hate that they do active shooter drills but it is the country we have until someone does something about it.

I keep coming back to this. What exactly has changed? it is no easier now to get a gun than it was when I was in school but we didn't have any worry about shootings or active shooter drills. Guns are a part of the problem, at least the ease at which you can get one, but that hasn't changed yet school shootings have. The root cause has to be something else. I was almost done in school when the 1994 ban came into effect, and it only applied to newly manufactured guns anyway, so that wasn't it though it is often cited.

I have a kid in school. These shootings are heartbreaking but I also know, statistically, my child being a victim of one is still very small. He is in more danger on the ride to school than in school. I hate that they do active shooter drills but it is the country we have until someone does something about it.

I keep coming back to this. What exactly has changed? it is no easier now to get a gun than it was when I was in school but we didn't have any real worry about shootings or active shooter drills. Guns are a part of the problem, at least the ease at which you can get one, but that hasn't changed yet school shootings have. The root cause has to be something else.
Bullying has gotten worse.

No I’m not. But part of the reason you see little progress being done is due to our population size which contains many opinions about what those solutions should be.

So, you also can shrug your shoulders and say if only there was something we could do.

🤦‍♂️ Can someone on the Dis explain this in a non political fashion to answer this question?
Dysfunctional and Paralytic Tribalism - where tribalism in this context refers to "discriminatory behavior or attitudes towards out-groups, based on in-group loyalty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter