• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

And yet another Half Term returner back home!

suzybear6

Mouseketeer
Well here's another "Highs and Lows" from a member of the half term mob!

Over all we had a very good trip. Yes we had a few niggles, but the highs most definitely out weigh the lows :cool1:

Highs

My DS(8) and DD(10) riding their first inversion roller coaster - RnR - it became my DS's favourite ride of the holiday.

BTM becoming my DD(10)'s favourite ride - she loved it!

Following advice from this board and getting to Crush before the park official opening so you don't have to wait for 60 min or more. After a false start on Wednesday morning when Crush wasn't actually working when we got into the park at 09:45 hrs, DP, DD and DS only waited 20 minutes on Friday morning :cool1:

Finally getting to do The Art of Animation and my drawing of Mickey turning out really good, even if I do say so myself! :rotfl:

Crowd levels not being as high as some people were predicting. Yes there were some quite long lines during the day, but we used fast pass whenever possible and did a lot of the rides during the evening when things were often a walk on.

Food! We ate at Restaurant Des Stars, Cafe Mickey, EOS, Crockett's Tavern, Rainforest Cafe and Plaza Gardens and enjoyed them all. I remember that thread about whether you have 2 or 3 meals a day at DLP and I would have said we have one counter service and one table service, but we were enjoying the food so much we ony did the one counter service meal (EOS) during our 3 days in the parks! lol

Oh and when talking about food I have a top tip for booking restaurants - use the Guest Services Office at the Studios park rather than City Hall in the Disneyland park. Everytime we walked past City Hall the queue was out of the door, but whenever I popped into Guest Services to book a table there was rarely anyone in there so I got served immediately :)

The way we scheduled our trip - we drove and used the Eurotunnel and stayed in a travel lodge type of hotel (B&B Hotel) on our first night and our last night so we had 2 leisurely drives and got 3 full days in the parks.

DCR - the cabin was just what we needed - plently of room for us to spread out, seperate room for the children, no close neighbours for our noisy children to disturb and when they got to the point they needed to run around they could go out into the "woods" and play. We will definitely stay there again :thumbsup2

The man and his father that took my 2 children into the pool at DCR after the CM at the pool reception tried to insist I purchased a swimsuit from them so that I could sit by the pool to "accompany" them.

Lows

The weather....hate rain and although it wasn't as bad as it could have been, those heavy showers were a pita and did affect the overall enjoyment of our trip...it would have been so much better if we'd had wall to wall sunshine! The wind stopped the Parachute ride running on Friday morning which was when we had the time to do it, so my DD missed out on that ride altogether :sad2:

The creepy (yes that was my DD's description of him) CM at the DCR pool reception who said that I had to acompany my children into the pool and although I told him I couldn't go into the pool informed me that I would have to purchase a swimsuit from them so that I could go into the pool area despite there being a seating area next to the pool where you didin't have to wear swimsuits :confused3

The 30 minute wait outside in the rain to get into Cafe Mickey on Wednesday night despite the fact that we had pre-booked a table. I can understand them getting a bit snowed under at times and sometimes you have to wait, but to have to wait outside was a bit much...they need a seating area inside where you can wait for your table.

The fast pass sytem not being used on Friday on certain rides in the Studios e.g RnR coaster with ride wait times up to 45 mionute but the fast pass systemn not in use. Same with the Magic Carpets ride :sad2:

As for the things that seem to crop up a lot in people's "lows" such as smoking and queue jumping...we weren't really affected by either of them. Yes I saw a few people walking around smoking but we just passed them by and it didn't cause us any problems. We didn't encounter anyone smoking in lines or anywhere like that. Queue jumping wasn't really a problem...only really came across it once and that was when we were in the queue to get into Cafe Mickey...the lady behind us spotted someone trying to queue jump ahead of us, but they didn't manage to in the end :rotfl:

So now although we've all talked about what we'll do "next time" I think we need to start saving for our next trip to WDW really and maybe we'll follow the pattern we've started by going back to DLP in 2017 for the 25th Anniversary :cheer2:

Luv Suzy

Glad you had a great trip overall. That rain on Wednesday night was really heavy, poor you being outside in it. Luckily for us we were in inventions by the time it started and didn't leave until it had dried up.

Welcome back! :goodvibes Sounds like a great trip! :thumbsup2

I hope you're going to share your drawing of Mickey with us all?!

CM at the pool does sound a bit creepy!! Lucky that the other Dad helped you out!

Queueing to get into Cafe Mickey is rubbish & in the rain too :sad2: that happened to us once, very frustrating!

How was the food & service when you did get inside though?

Welcome back! :goodvibes Sounds like a great trip! :thumbsup2

I hope you're going to share your drawing of Mickey with us all?!
If I can scan it or take a photo of it I could get a photo up here I suppose!

CM at the pool does sound a bit creepy!! Lucky that the other Dad helped you out!
Yes he was a bit strange even before the issue of me acompanying my children into the pool because when we walked up to the desk he at first told us the pool was closed....it was meant to be a joke but it just felt odd..maybe because he didn't seem the jokey type iykwim?

Queueing to get into Cafe Mickey is rubbish & in the rain too :sad2: that happened to us once, very frustrating!

How was the food & service when you did get inside though?
The service was good to start with..main course came out very quickly, but it slowed down a bit then and we did have to wait a while for desert and the bill. The food itself was fine...nothing overly special but not bad at all.

Luv Suzy

Thanks!

I've never been overly impressed by the food at CM, average, but not brilliant. We have had both extremes of service - super speedy & super slow! DD loves it though for the characters which is why we go back!

Thanks!

I've never been overly impressed by the food at CM, average, but not brilliant. We have had both extremes of service - super speedy & super slow! DD loves it though for the characters which is why we go back!

Yes that's exactly why we go...DD and DS love it there and mark it down as one of their "highs" of the trip!

Luv Suzy

Welcome back, sounds like a fantastic trip!

Well done to your ds going on rnr :thumbsup2

Don't like the sound of that cm either :confused3

We love the drawing in art of animation too.

Thanks for posting:goodvibes

Welcome back :wave2: glad you had a great time. :)
The creepy (yes that was my DD's description of him) CM at the DCR pool reception who said that I had to acompany my children into the pool and although I told him I couldn't go into the pool informed me that I would have to purchase a swimsuit from them so that I could go into the pool area despite there being a seating area next to the pool where you didin't have to wear swimsuits :confused3
:earseek:

Welcome back, glad you enjoyed most of the trip, the CM does sound creepy.

Glad you had a good trip, despite that weird CM encounter!! Useful tip about Guest Services :thumbsup2

Sounds like a lovely trip, so many highs! Very weird CM at the pool though, but lovely that other guests helped you out, did you complain about this? I can't wait til Rosebug is big enough for the coasters - I love them, RnRC is my favourite too!

Looking forward to a TR and photos!

Hello from another Brightonian! Glad you had a great trip overall - thanks for sharing this with us :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter