And so it begins....

HvnzCaress

Mouseketeer
Well my husband arrived home last night to inform me that he has gotten approval on his two week vacation at the end of August. We have been talking about going to Disney since last July. I can not tell you how excited I am.....But now the planning truly begins....as does the unending stream of newbie questions.

The travellers will be myself, DH, DD14 and DS who turns 11 during our trip and our Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We will be driving down from upstate NY and camping in a tent at Fort Wilderness for either 12 or 13 nights.

Can someone tell me which number it is that I should use to book my reservation? I know I have read on this or similar boards that the cancellation policies differ based on the number you use to make the reservation.

Does anyone know the cancellation policy concerning dropping a night from your reservation once booked? I want to be sure I book enough nights but we may actually end up leaving a day earlier as our plans become more concrete. What about cancellation policies about dropping a night after you have arrived?

How much will I need to put down on the campsite at the time of booking?

How long do I then have to pay off the reservation?

Am I correct that loops 1600, 1700 and 1900 are all partial hookup pet loops? Can anyone suggest a preference for one of these loops?

Originally posted by HvnzCaress
Can someone tell me which number it is that I should use to book my reservation? I know I have read on this or similar boards that the cancellation policies differ based on the number you use to make the reservation.

Am I correct that loops 1600, 1700 and 1900 are all partial hookup pet loops? Can anyone suggest a preference for one of these loops?

You want to talk to central reservations, not Disney Travel. Call 407-W-DISNEY and when they answer ask if you are speaking to Central Reservations or Disney Travel. Here is Mary's advice form the Mousesavers.com Website

Many packages must be purchased through Walt Disney Travel Company (WDTC). The WDTC rules about advance payment, cancellations and changes are usually much more restrictive than those associated with "room only" reservations made through the Central Reservations Office (CRO), so be sure to inquire about the restrictions. Also, be aware that WDTC will probably quote you a package that includes cancellation insurance, which is quite expensive and NON-REFUNDABLE once booked. If you don't want it, be sure to say so! You can add the insurance later if you wish, up until your final payment is due. Some other elements of WDTC packages are also non-refundable, including airfare.

Check out her site for more information.

As you will have a pet with you there are 5 loops you can stay in:

300 Loop The is a preferred loop which includes cable TV and is close to the marina

1600, 1700, 1800 & 1900 Loops These are the normal pet loops and are full hook up, meaning electric water & sewer on each site. There are NO partial hook up sites that allow pets at FW.

For more information on Fort Wilderness, check out my Fort Wilderness Fun Facts and Information Web Page

Have Fun

ºOº

I'm not sure about this, but you might also want to inquire about putting your pet at the kennel during the day and how far in advance you have to book that. I know that you cannot leave a pet unattended in a tent or pop-up during the day.

I think you have to pay for your reservation by 21 days prior to arrival. We've never had a problem changing dates. In fact, on two different occassions we had to leave FW early and they refunded our money at the front desk with no questions asked. So they are very flexible.

We definitely intend to board D.O.Gee at the FW kennels (or at one of the parks if necessary). No point in him suffering the heat.

My understanding is that they don't take reservations for this however. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

Originally posted by HvnzCaress
We definitely intend to board D.O.Gee at the FW kennels (or at one of the parks if necessary). No point in him suffering the heat.

My understanding is that they don't take reservations for this however. If anyone knows differently, please let me know.

You are correct, there are no advance reservations at the kennel. Usually this is not a problem. After you check in, stop by the kennel and check in there. They are quite accomidating. Should you stay out late (after kennel closing hours) you can always stop by the reception outpost and they will have someone walk to the kennel with you to get your dog out for the night.

You can also make your reservations online. I did...both times. Needed to put $150 down I think. The rest must be paid by 30 days prior to your arrival. There is no set payment schedule. Pay what you want or can per month or all at once down the road. Really makes it affordable to a lot more folks. Even if you don't want to actually book it online at the disney website you can play around with it & find out what cost what & just not finalize it online. Then you can call them & know more of what you are asking for & what you are talking about. But doing it online saves a big long distance phone call too!

Good luck & have a fantastic time!!!

:wave:

The number you call is 1-407-WDISNEY. Make sure the agent you talk to is from Central Reservations Office, not Walt Disney Travel Co.

You must leave 1 nights deposit within 10 days from the initial reservation.

If you do not have a package you can pay the balance at check-in.

If you do not have a package you have until 5 days before check-in to cancel the whole thing. After the 5 day mark, the most you lose is one nights deposit.

If you do not have a package you can add and/or remove days at any time, even once you arrive.

Hope this helps!

Make sure to bring proof of vacination. You might want to mention to your vet that you are planning on placing your dog in the kennel and that way he can make sure he has received the special kennel shot. The name is lost right now but I have seen people forced to put their dog in a different wdw kennel in quarintine.

Call 407-w-disney for reservations, they will ask for one nights deposit and then you pay the rest when you get there.
You might want to check out mousesavers.com to see if there are any specials going on.
Partial hook up loops are 1500 & 2000, no pets
Full hook up (water, electric, sewer) 600-1300 & 1600-1900
Preferred Loops (water, electric, sewer, cable), 100-500 & 700, 1400, 300 is the pet loop

Having tent camped in August I recomend taking a small air conditioner. It may look silly sticking out the side of your tent but it is a necesity. Our neighbors had one in their tent and it made a world of difference. It is hot and humid and we never felt dry the whole week. Not trying to scare you off but trying to prepare you. Ft Wilderness is beautiful and we would love to camp here again.

Thanks for the concern....

We've agonized and agonized over the idea of tent camping at the end of August in Florida. The family agrees its going to be miserable and we are going to do everything we can too lessen the discomfort. We are in fact thinking of bringing air conditioning for the tent, cold showers before bed, ice bags to take into bed with us whatever it takes. We are determined!

There was a discussion here about AC in tents a while back. I think the best suggestion was to use a multi room tent (because they have several doors) where one alcove held the AC unit.

Definitely figure how to rig an A/C in your tent. Even if you have to shorten your trip by a day or two to pay for an A/C unit. You will also want a tarp put up over your tent for shade and rain protection. When we tent camped we had a 12 x 16 tarp over the tent and a 12 x 12 dining canopy added on to that so we ended up with a 12 x 28 area under cover. That gave us plenty of room for our tent and table to be under cover with room left over for chairs so when the rains came we still could hang outside and not be cooped up in the tent. I have seen people use the carport type covers with walls that cover most of their campsite.

Also ask to be near a comfort station when you make your resi. They have A/C and it is a nice place to freshen up and get a break from the heat.

We have lived in the south all our lives and I would not camp here in August without A/C. It is not uncommon for the LOW temps to be in the mid 80s with 100% humidity. I have seen people camping without A/C but they did not look happy.

Be sure to check mousesavers for codes as your date gets closer. There have been times that the rooms at the All Stars were only $49.00 and the campground might not be much less. Although we LOVE to camp. It is very hot in Aug. I am not trying to change your mind, just wanted you to know of an alternitive.:)

While I know the All Stars do offer special codes at times, nothing will beat the rate I'm getting at the campground. I believe I have solved the heat problem. I'm bringing a full size window air conditioner that I use here at home and it should fit perfectly in the cabin tent I'm purchasing. Even with the purchase of the new tent its cheaper then the hotel.

Ft Wilderness is much prettier than the All Stars too!;)
And you can take your Corgi--even if s/he is in the kennel during the day. Gotta love those corgis--we bought a motorhome so we wouldn't have to leave ours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter