Anaheim Hotel (Formerly Anaheim Plaza)

gardenrooms

Mouseketeer
I have stayed in the Anaheim (Plaza) Hotel many times in the past. It was always quite inexpensive (though one of the first places where I was charged for parking,) and it used to really be right across from the entrance to DL (before the entrance was moved). [They still say that in their promos, but they aren't!] The last time we stayed there, it was already in need of TLC (and even smelled a bit stale), but the grassy areas were perfect for my very active son and his friends. From all the reviews I have read since our last stay many years ago, it seemed that very little has been done to update or refresh the property, so to say I was floored to see Trip Advisor rate it as #3 of 131 Anaheim Hotels is an understatement. Though I also see it is only slightly less expensive than the connecting rooms we have reserved at Candy Cane Inn (not sure if I would ever pay over $200 to stay at the Anaheim Hotel), I would be interested considering it again if it has actually been at the very least refreshed (I keep expecting the owners to simply tear it down and build a high-rise hotel rather than upgrading the existing buildings). I do love the old 2-story buildings (can't talk my family into those in HoJo's any more) reminiscent of the original Disneyland Hotel - I bet this was quite the place when I was a child - and would love to bring my family there again.

Can anyone share recent experiences?

Thanks Nonsuch. Wow, that would have been beautiful and it looks like a lot of balconies (which I love - hated it when Disney removed most of theirs). But I'm sure it would have been out of my price range lol.

I would pick the candy cane over Anaheim hotel. We stayed in a renovated room at the Anaheim hotel. The counters looked like quartz, but the closer we looked we realized they were painted to look like quartz. The bathroom was still in need of some major love The walls were super thin. We could hear the neighbors phone getting texts all night long and were walking zombies the next day from lack of sleep. I am not a light sleeper and I have hearing loss in one ear and I could hear the phone through the wall. I have read other ok reviews for this hotel, so it might have been the building we were in….

Candy cane has free parking and just finished a very lengthy renovation last year. The entire hotel was renovated, and rooms are beautiful. You also get an amazing included breakfast with tons of different options. And it has a free shuttle to and from the parks if you need or want to use it.

Thanks. We always loved the Candy Cane, both the property and the friendly staff (haven't been since pre-Covid), but as I am now retired and they upped the rates significantly, the rates are getting a little steep for me.

I was hoping the Anaheim had been cleaned up a bit. I wonder why Trip Advisor rates it so high.

Agree. Candy Canes rates have gone up a lot. Most places within walking distance have really increased their rates since the shut down.

We always wonder why Anaheim hotel is rated so high too! Maybe we just had a bad stay? I’m not sure. We haven’t been back to try again. I would give them another chance if their rates were a bit better. But when I can find other hotels for a similar or lower price for the same dates, and it’s places we have stayed at and had a good stay, it’s hard to book at Anaheim hotel. We need a good nights rest to go rope drop to close!

We stayed at The Anaheim Hotel in June 2023 and I booked it again as soon as 2024 packages opened for October. We loved our stay and the price was excellent. I agree with the other poster who said the bathroom was still a little dated and the shower head was quite low. Other than that, our room was updated and clean and since we were on the first floor we had the large fenced in patio that was super nice. We are rope drop to park close people so we really just need a place to sleep but we did take advantage of the pool and hot tub and it was great. The grounds are beautiful and the walk is so short. The staff was great and the little shop was well-stocked and I felt pretty reasonably priced since, of course, we forgot to pack some necessities. 😂 I also really loved that no matter how early we were leaving in the morning or how late we returned, there were always several security people in the parking lot. They would always greet you and smile and it felt very Disney for a Good Neighbor hotel. Good peace of mind for two young(ish) women 2,500 miles from home!

I've looked at the Candy Cane Inn as well and the distance stops me from booking. It looks beautiful since the remodel but those few extra minutes in walking time makes me change my mind. I would say since the CCI recently was remodeled it is probably nicer than The Anaheim Hotel and $200 isn't a *huge* difference. But all that just to say we really enjoyed our stay, enough to book it again!

We stayed at The Anaheim Hotel in June 2023 and I booked it again as soon as 2024 packages opened for October. We loved our stay and the price was excellent. I agree with the other poster who said the bathroom was still a little dated and the shower head was quite low. Other than that, our room was updated and clean and since we were on the first floor we had the large fenced in patio that was super nice. We are rope drop to park close people so we really just need a place to sleep but we did take advantage of the pool and hot tub and it was great. The grounds are beautiful and the walk is so short. The staff was great and the little shop was well-stocked and I felt pretty reasonably priced since, of course, we forgot to pack some necessities. 😂 I also really loved that no matter how early we were leaving in the morning or how late we returned, there were always several security people in the parking lot. They would always greet you and smile and it felt very Disney for a Good Neighbor hotel. Good peace of mind for two young(ish) women 2,500 miles from home!

I've looked at the Candy Cane Inn as well and the distance stops me from booking. It looks beautiful since the remodel but those few extra minutes in walking time makes me change my mind. I would say since the CCI recently was remodeled it is probably nicer than The Anaheim Hotel and $200 isn't a *huge* difference. But all that just to say we really enjoyed our stay, enough to book it again!
Thank you for the info. Glad to hear. So you only paid $200? Was thst because you had a package?

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Glad to hear. So you only paid $200? Was thst because you had a package?
Sorry I was referring to your price difference! I believe our cost was under $200 a night for a standard room with two queens. I book through Costco to get the Disney gift card. Our total cost for October: 5 nights at The Anaheim Hotel, 3-day park hopper tickets with Genie+ for 2 adults was $2,300 and a $160 Disney gift card.

Wow under $200. Does Costco always have packages that include Genie? I haven't been looking into packages because right now we have Magic Keys, but we probably won't be able to (afford to) renew them (we are 4 adults and 2 children). Since you were able to get October, apparently these are not just off-season. I will have to look into that! Thanks.

Wow under $200. Does Costco always have packages that include Genie? I haven't been looking into packages because right now we have Magic Keys, but we probably won't be able to (afford to) renew them (we are 4 adults and 2 children). Since you were able to get October, apparently these are not just off-season. I will have to look into that! Thanks.
Yep! We booked our first trip in October 2022 at Paradise Pier/Pixar Place, The Anaheim Hotel June 2023, and booked both our upcoming trips: June 2024 at Disneyland Hotel Villas and October 2024 at The Anaheim through Costco. The packages are the same price as the Disneyland site but you get the Disney gift card. I think the base is $160 for a good neighbor hotel and goes up from there. We are getting $240 for our DLH stay. There's also a pin and lanyard set you get a coupon for and discounts at a few restaurants and shops in DTD. The Costco package has always had the option to purchase Genie+ at the time of booking at the base price. Hopefully it stays that way! Once you book through Costco, everything is through the Disneyland site at that point (payments, reservations, etc.)

Wow $240 for DLH in June? That sounds much cheaper than what I had seen online, but I was looking at room only, not a package. Maybe we'll be happy to have not renewed our Magic Keys. (We're going to keep one for Oogie Boogie ressies lol.)

Wow $240 for DLH in June? That sounds much cheaper than what I had seen online, but I was looking at room only, not a package. Maybe we'll be happy to have not renewed our Magic Keys. (We're going to keep one for Oogie Boogie ressies lol.)
Unless this has recently changed, you can still book a Costco package if you have any member of your party that needs park tickets. I've done this many times as I'm the only one in my family with a MK. I've also read that if you don't need any tickets, you can call Costco travel and get the package price without tickets but it can't be done online. I've never tried that myself so I can't say for sure.

I'm confused...what costs $240?
They were asking about booking through Costco and I replied we did for the Disney gift card. A base of $160 Disney gift card for your stay. I gave the example that for booking our trip through Costco for June at the DLH, the perk was a $240 Disney gift card. Sorry if that was confusing!

I think I'm confused - I thought you were saying the DLH was $240 a night but perhaps you are saying that the gift card was $240? Which still in essence reduces the cost of the room significantly.
Sorry for my confusion. Thanks.

Oops I see you have already answered both questions, sorry. Ignore this. My computer for some reason hadn't updated.

Last edited:
Thanks. We always loved the Candy Cane, both the property and the friendly staff (haven't been since pre-Covid), but as I am now retired and they upped the rates significantly, the rates are getting a little steep for me.

I was hoping the Anaheim had been cleaned up a bit. I wonder why Trip Advisor rates it so high.
When you add up the cost of breakfast and paid parking at the other hotels candy cane really isnt more expensive. I guess if you dont have a car with you that cuts out some of the costs though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter