Anaheim Desert Inn And Suites?

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
My first choice hotel is not available for my December trip. I really wanted to be right across the street if possible and the only place available is Anaheim desert inn and suites. I got the parlor C suite, which looks big and pretty nice online.

This hotel gets reviews ranging from horrifying to the best hotel ever.

I'm wondering if anyone has stayed there lately or even in the past who could give me input about if it's worth a chance or a hotel that I should avoid at all costs.

I did get a room at Hojo as a back up. I've stayed there in the past and liked it but wanted a shorter walk this time.

Thanks.

It really depends. We last stayed there in 2018 and have often stayed in the past there. It was a clean functional hotel with a functional breakfast (hardboiled eggs, toast, cereal, fruit, pastries, etc.) It's a decent place to lay your head and shower. If that is all you are looking for you won't mind the hotel and location is great.

It's not upscale. It doesn't have a great pool (although it does have one). It's not 5 stars. And if you are used to higher end hotels it probably wouldn't be for you.

I have stayed here in the past. It depends on what your expecation is for a hotel.

Desert Inn and Suites is a motel with outside corridors, so that would be a negative for some people.
It was not a negative for me

Desert Inn and Suites has a indoor , not very attractive pool, so that would be a negative for some people.
It was not a negative for me.

Desert Inn and Suites has a very basic grab and go breakfast so that would be a negative for some people.
It was not a negative for me

Desert Inn and Suites has a very basic decor which is clean but some people describe it as old and tired, so that would be a negative for some people.
It was not a negative for me.

Some people want the cheap price and close proximity to the park entrance but at the same time want a hotel experience similar to what they would have at a Hilton or Marriott. Thats why there are negative reviews.

I just stayed her in August 14-18th and have stayed many times in the past. It is a basic motel. The rooms have microwaves and refrigerators which I like. I found it to be clean and safe each time I have stayed. The beds are harder and not as plush as other places but I have not found them uncomfortable. It can be loud with the outside corridors. It does have a rooftop fireworks viewing area which is nice. This has become my go to place as the price is generally better then others surrounding it and the location is amazing.

We've stayed there 3 times in the past and for offsite, it is our #1 choice. It has always been clean and you can almost not beat how close it is! Basic breakfast and iirc, the beds were on the firmer end of the scale but nothing that would put us off staying there. It can get quite noisy early in the morning when the garbage trucks arrive but for early risers like us, this was not a deal breaker at all.

We have stayed in the C1 suite on one of our trips and it definitely was roomy!

I have stayed at Desert Inn and Suites and will totally stay there again next year. Clean, comfortable room. Close to the crosswalk. We did not eat the free breakfast but instead mobile ordered Panera.

Enjoy your stay!

We just stayed there Sept 1-4. It was our second stay there. If the price was right and I didn’t require luggage storage I’d definitely stay there again. Both stays were fine, it’s very basic but clean and the staff is friendly. The short walk to the parks is really the selling point here! The free breakfast on our first trip was very basic pastries, toast and cereal. This most recent trip it was just a grab bag with an apple, juice box and granola bar.

If we were pool people (we typically aren’t) I’d likely choose a different hotel because of the small indoor pool.

My only other complaints are the lack of blackout curtains (they only have shutters so not great at blocking light) and the lack of luggage storage. Our first stay we needed luggage storage but the only way they would store luggage was either in lockers (too small for our suitcases) or locked in a room that requires housekeeping to open for us. After over half an hour of trying to find a housekeeper to unlock the door for us I was so frustrated! Front desk was not really helpful with this. This trip I brought a sleep mask so that fixed the no curtain issue and we had a rental car so didn’t need the luggage storage. If I needed to store my luggage I’d choose another hotel to save that aggravation.

I stayed there the end of July. It was not in any way horrifying. It was also not in any way fancy. The beds and pillow were just okay. We use a sound machine, so no issue with outside noises. The staff was friendly. The distance/location was fantastic. 100% would stay again any time I can book early enough to get a cheapish rate.

Thanks for all the replies! I feel much better about staying there. I don't need anything too fancy, but also don't want uncomfortable beds, bad customer service, paper thin walls etc. It sounds basic but clean, which is great.

Following up on this since I asked about it back in September and of course thought of some more questions :)

Any more recent experiences at this hotel?
Are the beds comfortable?
Do they have an elevator?
Did you feel safe there? (Might be just me and the kids for part of the trip.)
Has anyone stayed in the C2 suite?

Following up on this since I asked about it back in September and of course thought of some more questions :)

1. No, the beds are terrible (in my opinion)
2. yes
3. yes, no safety concerns
4. yes, lots of space at a (usually) good price

I stayed at the DI&S for three nights the first of this month for my solo birthday trip.
I felt the beds were just fine. I was able to get settled and asleep easily.
Yes, there are elevators. I know of two for sure.
I have stayed there many times over the years. Both with the grandkids and also for my solo trips.

The C2 room is nice for having space and the separate room areas.
The two bath are great when trying to get everyone through the shower or ready in the morning.

The beds were fine. They do have elevators but the one closest to the lobby only goes to the third floor. We would have to go down one set of stairs then the elevator as our room was close to the lobby. Yes felt safe and yes we stared in the C2.

I love everything about this hotel. For the price I find it:
clean!!!
Comfortable!!! (I have 0 issues with the beds)
Close (closer than almost any!!!)
Breakfast (only had precovid but it was always enough options for my family)
Staff (always friendly and helpful!)
THis is my go to hotel and I recommend it to my friends!!!

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I booked Desert Inn and Suites and also HOJO as a back up in case I change my mind between now and May :)

Either way, it's only for 2 nights and then I'll be switching to DLH. I think any hotel is tolerable for 2 nights. (knock wood.)

I've stayed there 4 times, most recently September (C2 Suite) and December (B1 parlor suite). I've also stayed in a standard 2 queen near the back of the property a couple of years ago.

It's reliably the cheapest of the very close hotels at the crosswalk. It's often $50-$100 less than BWPPI or Park Vue, right next door. I find the beds to be fine, but then I like very firm beds.

It's very basic, and some parts are badly in need of a refresh, specifically that nasty striped carpet. But they seem to do a good job cleaning. The shower pressure can be dismal. I found it worse in the standard room, and the shower head was kind of low so you had to duck to get your hair wet. The parlor rooms up front seem to be in better shape. If you can put in a request as early as possible, ask for top floor, close to the front as possible. They can't guarantee it, but esp. if you're in a parlor suite, it's more likely.

Since our kids are older and don't care about the swimming pool (and often don't have time to come with us any more!) we don't care about the tiny indoor (very chlorine-y) pool.

The breakfast, which has been paper bags with danish, apple, and granola bar since the pandemic, is pretty dismal, but there again, we generally bring our own or have groceries delivered so we can eat what we like in the room.

Clean, safe and above all affordable. That's all we need!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter