An "up-charge" for dishes at Paddlefish?

Googelibear

Every day is the dawn of a new error, hehe
Has anyone here taken a look at the dinner menu of the newly reopened Paddlefish at Disney Springs?
It looks to me that certain items carry an extra charge for those of us who have the dining plan.
Or am I reading this wrong?

In any case, if this is true, then it is reminiscent of paying an up-charge when dining at Palo or any other specialty restaurant onboard a Disney ship.

Will this be a new trend for other signature restaurants?

when i pull up Paddlefish it says dining plans not accepted.

it does look like any entree over $50 or so has an upcharge. They had mentioned for 2017 certain signature items above $70 would carry up upcharge but the threshold seems lower there. Also it seems inconsistent... $17 upcharge on a $67 and $70 entree and $18 on one that could be up to $85? Not sure how it all works but i see what you mean.

Has anyone here taken a look at the dinner menu of the newly reopened Paddlefish at Disney Springs?
It looks to me that certain items carry an extra charge for those of us who have the dining plan.
Or am I reading this wrong?

In any case, if this is true, then it is reminiscent of paying an up-charge when dining at Palo or any other specialty restaurant onboard a Disney ship.

They have already done this at other restaurants. There is an up charge for the wagu steaks at Yacthman's

when i pull up Paddlefish it says dining plans not accepted.

I was looking at the menu for Paddlefish on allearsnet.com :)
They have already done this at other restaurants. There is an up charge for the wagu steaks at Yacthman's
Thank you for this. We did not encounter this in any of the signature restaurants this past November.

It is the new norm. It makes a ton of sense with people trying to make sure they maximize the dinning plan. If guests want things like Wagu to still be offered then they have to pay what the going market rate is for it. When Disney is barely breaking even on that dish then it no longer makes business sense to offer it so instead of getting rid of it they are saying if you are on the DDP (which isn't the total value something like $32 a table service) they have to figure out how much they make as a company and what dishes cost to make.

Restaurant Marrakech has been doing this for years on their " Feasts ".

It is the new norm. It makes a ton of sense with people trying to make sure they maximize the dinning plan. If guests want things like Wagu to still be offered then they have to pay what the going market rate is for it. When Disney is barely breaking even on that dish then it no longer makes business sense to offer it so instead of getting rid of it they are saying if you are on the DDP (which isn't the total value something like $32 a table service) they have to figure out how much they make as a company and what dishes cost to make.

I am delighted that they are doing this rather than dumbing down the whole menu.

did not know this. I have never made it in there yet.

I am delighted that they are doing this rather than dumbing down the whole menu.
I hadn't thought about it that way. Of course. And I am not complaining about it, I really was just curious. I have never had the need to know what anything costs. When on vacation, eat cake, LOL

So, is Paddlefish accepting the Dining plan? It says no plans accepted on the Disney website.

Yep. The trend towards this was what was destroying the food quality. It's why many were blaming the dining plans. I have been seeing more and more examples of bringing back entrees with premiums attached to the plan price. While still not a great deal for those of us paying OOP I hope the trend continues.

1) DDP plans have a contracted reimbursement price to the restaurant.
2) The DDP is negotiated each December for non-Disney restaurants (October for Disney-owned eateries)
3) The eatery will add an Up-Charge
. . . if the food price is volatile (like changes in lobster pricing throughout the year)
. . . if the food price might change during the life of the contract
4) Get used to it.
5) The higher priced eateries will continue to add Up-Charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter