An Unpleasant Experience at Yak and Yeti CS

I've been on both sides. Honestly I don;t think it's that traumatizing to wait for a table to open up. I usually sit with the kids while my husband gets food.

Sorry but I fall on the side of not wanting to share my table with strangers. I am extremely introverted and do not like talking to people I don't know/sharing my personal space with them.
You aren't required, or even expected, to converse with anyone sharing the table you're occupying.
I drive most places, I pay for valet parking, never do buses. Thankfully they like the monorail and we try to go mostly off season. But now they go to school and that is not an option. Like I said sometimes we are not able to do some rides. I plan obsessively. What is your problem with this?

I am going to take advantage of every option I can find to let these kids have this experience.
Absolutely. Have you visited the disABILITIES forum recently? It absolutely appears you could provide experience information, even more so than seeking assistance.

But you're not who was being asked :)
Sorry. Sometimes I react to quickly.
De nada.

I've been on both sides. Honestly I don;t think it's that traumatizing to wait for a table to open up. I usually sit with the kids while my husband gets food.

I don't think anyone said waiting for a table to open is "traumatizing".

But no one likes to have to eat cold food because they had to walk around looking for a table while people not eating and without food occupied tables. It may not be "traumatizing" but it's not pleasant.

We do fastpass. We use the passes that let us sign in for a time to come back. Sometimes we avoid the more popular attractions. And we leave early if there is a meltdown for hotel pool.

We very carefully plan and orchestrate our trip and do a lot of role playing before we go. Also we never forget the meds which impair appetite so we use the counter service more than the expensive restaurants . And their cousins are very supportive. Be glad you do not have these issues

I am. I have enough of my own issues. But at some point even doing all of the above there is still some waiting in line, right? I guess you can limit it as much as possible, but for a trip to a place such as WDW there is no way to totally avoid it.

Right. As needed. How busy was each venue when you were there? How many visitors were or might have Ben circling with food, unable to find a place to eat because others were holding tables?
I answered that here in a previous quote:

But I should also say that while the crowds were nil (due to Irma) the Simpsons area, Leaky Cauldron and Satul'i Canteen were all busy when we ate there. It wasn't like those were empty (other places were though). On the other hand the bar area of Three Broomsticks was the only busy part of Three Broomsticks with the rest being virtually empty.

As previously mentioned Simpsons, Three Broomsticks and Satul'i were not policing.

Leaky Cauldron was [Edited: sorry I mean they had someone seat you at a specific table rather than you could seat yourself; they weren't patrolling the dining area at Leaky Cauldron in a sense of putting pressure on you to leave once you were done with your food or drink] (as has been the experience thus far of everyone who has mentioned eating there [Edited: speaking towards a TM seating you that is]).

Multiple persons having a same experience with only one person having a different experience supports the one person being the exception. The restaurants would be more crowded and need seating control on, say, July 3 than on September 18.
Actually more than just me have said they sat themselves at Three Broomsticks.

I'm not negating what others have said. I know for a fact that Three Broomsticks did in the past have a TM that sat you (which I've said multiple times is what I remembered from 2011). I know for a fact that when I was there twice during my trip they did not have a TM seat you nor did they patrol or police. I know for a fact that others have prior to my trip (and after my trip as well) have had a TM seat them. So I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at by saying "supports the one person being the exception" (as stated I'm not the only person)? I mean your comment would make a bit more sense (aside from me being the only person part) if I was maintaining that others were just lying or whatever but I'm fully aware of what they say is true and of what I experienced back in 2011.

Last edited:
How do you ride the bus/monorail, wait in line for a ride then? I mean really...how are you actually even in Disney World?
Something to think about the next time that excuse comes to mind.
People aren't trying to speak to me when I'm eating at that time for one thing. Secondly, if they do try to strike up a conversation with me I politely say hi and then ignore them the rest of the time. I come to theme parks to hang out with my husband and friends, not random strangers. And most importantly, I dont have to justify to you or anyone else how I prefer spending my free time.

Regrading turning someone away because you don't want to talk to strangers - I'm sure if someone who was in need of table and shared it with you (the general you), either won't attempt more of a conversation than a polite hello, or if they do try to talk more I would imagine they would pick up on your indifference and cease trying to converse with you.

But, we all know how I feel about that reason anyways. ;)

If I had the magic to make it happen, I would whisk away the trash that people leave behind and make it appear all over their lawn or in the middle of their own dining table.

Thankfully, I really don't notice this happening too much at DW. I do notice it more at the resort foodcourts than in the parks.

How do you ride the bus/monorail, wait in line for a ride then? I mean really...how are you actually even in Disney World?
Something to think about the next time that excuse comes to mind.

As someone with an autistic child you should know that it's not an all or nothing thing. My son has good days and bad. He has moments when he has hit his overwhelmed point and needs to sit and put on his headphones and block out the noise and where standing in another line will cause a complete meltdown. He also has moments when he is okay to wait. Parents with autistic children know how to read these signs and know our children well and even then sometimes we miss where their limit is. Watching your child fall apart (or self harm) because you thought they could handle more is beyond heartbreaking.

I am a single mom going with an autistic 10 yo son and my 15 yo DD who has a history of trauma. If they can wait with me they will but if they need to sit (especially my son) and my DD wants to not allow a stranger to sit with us that is going to have to be okay. I know I try constantly not to rock the boat, not to be selfish, to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I assume most people are just trying to do their best.

If you can and it's no hardship, wait until you have food. If you can't, that's okay. If have extra space and it will not upset you or a member of your party, offer it to those looking. If you don't feel comfortable, don't. If you ask someone to sit and they say yes, be gracious. If you ask and they say no, respect that choice and don't assume they are selfish. Clean up when you are done. Leave when you are finished or able (sometimes people need a moment). Is it really that hard?

As someone with an autistic child you should know that it's not an all or nothing thing. My son has good days and bad. He has moments when he has hit is overwhelmed point and needs to sit and put on his headphones and block out the noise and where standing in another line will cause a complete meltdown. He also has moments when he is okay to wait. Parents with autistic children know how to read these signs and know our children well and even then sometimes we miss where their limit is. Watching your child fall apart (or self harm) because you thought they could handle more is beyond heartbreaking.

I am a single mom going with an autistic 10 yo son and my 15 yo DD who has a history of trauma. If they can wait with me they will but if they need to sit (especially my son) and my DD wants to not allow a stranger to sit with us that is going to have to be okay. I know I try constantly not to rock the boat, not to be selfish, to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I assume most people are just trying to do their best

If you can and it's no hardship, wait until you have food. If you can't, that's okay. If have extra space and it will not upset you or a member of your party, offer it to those looking. If you don't feel comfortable, don't. If you ask someone to sit and they say yes, be gracious. If you ask and they say no, respect that choice and don't assume they are selfish. Clean up when you are done. Leave when you are finished or able (sometimes people need a moment). Is it really that hard?
My response was specifically to a poster who offered no medical and/or psychological reasons for her behavior simply an antisocial and inflated sense of entitlement in a low rent district. Maybe it makes her feel better?

Last edited:
We do invite people to sit with us sometimes they decline sometimes we make new friends.

I normally do something similar when we are close to done (I'm done and a couple others are almost done, etc), I'll take one round of trash on a tray and throw it out and then find someone standing there looking for a table and tap on shoulder and say "we are just about done, you can take over our table" and while we're walking to table I'll ask where they are from (could be Iowa, could be Australia, who knows?) and then say "well greetings from Virginia, have a great day" and maybe someday a person will do the same for us just at the right time.

I normally do something similar when we are close to done (I'm done and a couple others are almost done, etc), I'll take one round of trash on a tray and throw it out and then find someone standing there looking for a table and tap on shoulder and say "we are just about done, you can take over our table" and while we're walking to table I'll ask where they are from (could be Iowa, could be Australia, who knows?) and then say "well greetings from Virginia, have a great day" and maybe someday a person will do the same for us just at the right time.

We do this, too. :)

It’s outdoor seating, it’s randomly accessible to anyone. If someone wants a guaranteed place to sit without hassle that’s what TS are for. No need for all this back and forth arguing and negotiation. It’s in the title. Counter service ie: service ends at the counter.

THIS !!!:thumbsup2

I'm in the camp of "don't want to share my table". When we are at the parks, running around, hot and tired...our meals are a chance to slow down, talk and relax. I've got two teenagers. Much of our life is running around like crazy, homework, activities, and eating meals at different times. I love vacation meals, when I get to sit and talk to my kids. I'm there to vacation with my family. I don't think we are rude for not wanting to share our meal time with strangers.

I don't think I would ever ask to sit at someone else's table. I would just assume they don't want to sit with strangers. I would leave it to the occupants of the table to invite others to join them...not the other way around.

I'm not sure why but there are some pretty rude posts going on

Please be nice to others. You can have a differing opinion, heck it's the internet, we kinda expect that. But you cannot be rude to other posters. We don't do that.

Can't assume that just because someone is sitting alone at a table they are holding it while someone orders food. Very often, after we are done with food, I clean off our table, hit the nearest ladies room, and return with desert and / or adult beverages. Not going to have my husband get up too and start the table search again when I return.

When we first order we are usually together, we find a table, then eat and relax.

I cannot recall having an overly difficult time finding a place to sit.

I've lived in cities where people hardly ask if they can take an empty seat at a quick service when it's crowded

I put a lot of blame on Disney itself! A few years ago, there were benches around that you could rest your weary feet/body for a few minutes, then suddenly (seems like) there's not a bench to be found.

Sorry, people, but some folks need a rest once in awhile, and not just when they're eating a meal. There's not always a very uncomfortable stone wall available to sit on!! :)

Until, and if, (yeah, right, but don't hold your breath) Disney sees, and wants to rectify their error, outside (sometimes inside) table/chairs will be used for resting a bit. :duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter