An Open Live Trip Report the Last Week of March 2014

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
Okay folks Ed is here too finally. Got bumped fo Premiun 400 loop but have to wait for site. CM checking us in was dreading today. Over 100% booked she said.

Like in the pre-trip thread which was lots of fun and excitement, if you want to tell us your site number and departure date I will keep this post #1 updated with that information. Anyone who is here is free if they wish to tell us their activities in this thread or start their own trip report thread. This isn't Ed's thread only. For this week it's OUR thread. :disrocks:

Who / Where / When Out

Cousin Edde / Site 1423 / ??
Jeepin Dad / Site 1439 / ??
Bama Ed / Site 418 / Thu March 28
Dailr / requested 100 / checking in Thu Mar 28 in a popup
Tilyeea / Site 1601 / ??

The best days to catch me around the Fort are today, Sunday, and Tuesday. We have the 4pm HDDR today.

Bama Ed

PS - I'll check the pre-trip thread for checkout dates if available.

We got here about 11:00. No preferred sites were available when we got here so they put us in a premium, site 1439.

Our site wasn't ready when we got here, but I got a text while waiting in line for some ride or another saying our site is 1423. We drove through the loop this morning, looks kinda tight, but I didn't look at specific sites. We'll come back out sometime after a while and actually move in.

Ed, 400 is not bad. It might be close together, but it is short walking distance to TE and dock. I had 420 which was plenty spacious, but difficult to get my 35 footer into. You should have plenty of room with the popup.

Glad to hear everybody is making it safely.

Good to see everyone is arriving safely.
Wishing I was there, and talking to DW today about when we will be able to get back to the Fort.
Can't wait to read more. popcorn::
Have a wonderful time.

Well it's nice to back at the Fort but MAN it is jammed. Lots of cars, carts, full sites, but sunny and warm with birds chirping.

Last time I was here was with my dad back in April. We had such a good time and after we got home his approval meant the world to me when he looked at me and said...

Ever since then I've wanted to come back and here we finally are.

So as I said I got bumped up to Premium in site 418 and since it was loop 400 I took it without quibbling. It's across the street from the 100 I requested and I've never been in 400. It's an outside site two spots over from the CS. It's sort of tucked into the interior and not too close to major roads. Here are two views:

Nice weather today. High sunny over 80F and breezy. We drove right up to a checkin lane with no waiting at noon and got taken care of (had done the pre-checkin).

Bama Ed

Hey Ed,
Glad you made it to the Fort safely and :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 on getting the upgrade to premium. Nice that they still kept you close to the marina area like you wanted. Looks like you have a nice private site.

Have fun and keep us updated on your ventures!!

P.S. Nice signs :cool1: :cool1:

Hi Ed,

I've been reading your thread and learning a lot. I missed posting on the Pre-Trip, so here goes. First of all, we are neighbors; we are in Indian Springs. I have to work Monday so we are late leaving. Our first stop is Blue Spring State Park for 2 nights. We hope to kayak with a manatee there. On Thursday morning we head to the Fort. We have reserved a preferred site and requested 100 loop. Based on the comments today, I hope we get within walking distance of the dock. We check out on Sunday. We will be in a popup.

glad everyone got there safely...
living vicariously thru y'all right now but will be at the fort for Christmas later this year! I hope i'll get to meet other DISers in person.

hope everyone has a great time and posts often popcorn::
Peach

We got here early this morning and hit the park.

Hard.

We wandered around, did our fast pass rides, saw a parade and had a grand time. The son and I chowed down on a pork shank from Gaston's and I wish the mine train was open, looks fun.

We finally came back and moved into our site sometime after five, just in time to meet Bama Ed making his rounds. (Almost forgot about the beers that helped us recover from the day :) We had a good visit, we'll have to wander down to his site sometime this week and visit some more.

Now it's time to catch the bus to dinner at Whispering Canyon. I'm preparing to chow down on the all you can eat BBQ plate!

Howdy all! :wave2:

The sun is going down and I have time to provide an update on today. But first to catch up with folks.

Ed, 400 is not bad. It might be close together, but it is short walking distance to TE and dock. I had 420 which was plenty spacious, but difficult to get my 35 footer into. You should have plenty of room with the popup.

Tiggerdad, that is the site next to mine. But I was impressed - it's a shade tunnel. :beach:

Good to see everyone is arriving safely.
Wishing I was there, and talking to DW today about when we will be able to get back to the Fort.
Can't wait to read more. popcorn::
Have a wonderful time.

snowmedic, you'll get back soon. :drive:

glad everyone got there safely...
living vicariously thru y'all right now but will be at the fort for Christmas later this year! I hope i'll get to meet other DISers in person.

hope everyone has a great time and posts often popcorn::
Peach

Thanks for checking Peach. Have a great trip in December.

Hey Ed,
Glad you made it to the Fort safely and :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 on getting the upgrade to premium. Nice that they still kept you close to the marina area like you wanted. Looks like you have a nice private site.

Have fun and keep us updated on your ventures!!

P.S. Nice signs :cool1: :cool1:

Hiya bigblock. Yeah, the upgrade has only happened once before. A few of us checking in today wanted Preferreds but they have moved us around. It's all good though.

Hi Ed,

I've been reading your thread and learning a lot. I missed posting on the Pre-Trip, so here goes. First of all, we are neighbors; we are in Indian Springs. I have to work Monday so we are late leaving. Our first stop is Blue Spring State Park for 2 nights. We hope to kayak with a manatee there. On Thursday morning we head to the Fort. We have reserved a preferred site and requested 100 loop. Based on the comments today, I hope we get within walking distance of the dock. We check out on Sunday. We will be in a popup.

Hi dalir! Welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks:

I had thought about swimming with the manatees up at Crystal Springs but we have to cut our trip short of a full week and couldn't squeeze that in too. Let us know how it goes - I might try it. And I will add your name to the list.

Well after setting up and then propping our feet up for a while, we headed down to the beach area before sliding over to the HDDR. It was a beautiful day.

Here are a few tents on a site in 100. The one in the back is on the coquina pad. The one nearest the camera is on the concrete.

I looked at this scene and smiled to myself. The only difference between men and boys is the size of their toys. :goodvibes

A sign out by the marina.

Mr. Crow waiting for something tasty to hit the ground.

An MK boat coming in.

Searacers having fun.

Current aquatic prices.

The home base sign.

Then I went up to the HDDR area.

Bama Ed

The dinner buffet is running $23 for adults today.

For those of you wanting some Trails End takeout, this is where you go - in the double doors between TE and HDDR.

Here is the TE Takeout menu sign.

The wagon ride area would see some action later.

Finally it was time to check into HDDR.

We were upstairs in Cat 3 seating - actually not too bad.

The food was actually pretty good.

On with the show!

Bama Ed

I promised some wagon ride action didn't I?

Then I went looking for some DISsers and found Jeepin' Dad's site but no one was home so I left a note under the windshield wiper. Then I cruised over and intro'd myself to cousineddie en famille. His Airstream is coming along nicely. We talked for several minutes - nice people.

Now it's gotten dark and I can hear the whistle from the steam train. Things look pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Bama Ed

We just returned from the Fort a week ago today. Already missing it. We were in site 429, very close to the action but also a very quiet site. ( although we could still here the Water Parade and boat whistle, wouldn't have it any other way).
We also went to the HDDR on our first night and sat in the balcony.
Glad you're having a good time. Wishing you all a very magical vacation!
:yay:

Thank you so much for this thread! We just purchased a pop-up last year and made the decision to head to the Fort next month. I am so excited I can hardly stand it! I have been reading the threads daily in anticipation. I have taken a lot of information down that should be beneficial for our visit. While I was reading this thread and looking at the pictures my excitement grew even more ( didn't think that was possible)! Hope everyone has a great time. I look forward to reading more about your trip!

Stopped in Tallahassee for the night. Kinda dumpy RV park with lots of full timers but it is quiet and will work for an overnight. Flushed RV lines and going to sanitize the lines on the way to the fort tomorrow. Can't wait! DD is living for the golf cart so I hope there are still some left with the crowds! Having a glass of wine after a down home dinner at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will hopefully sleep well tonight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter