• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

An Open Letter To DLR Guests Who Always Complain

DisneylandDancer

Earning My Ears
Dear Disneyland Resort Guests who are always complaining at the parks,

One of my biggest pet peeves is when guests complain about the very little things. I think part of this comes from guest entitlement, where people come to the park expecting that because they came to the park, they are guaranteed a very specific, certain experience. Personally I don't think that anyone should go into any sort of Disney vacation with very specific expectations. Cast members do what they can, but there are hundreds of guests in the park every day, and CMs can't make everyone's day exactly how they want. Rides break down, lines get long, just things happen. So even if your day doesn't go according to plan, don't complain about it and make other guests uncomfortable, or make a CMs job harder. I'm not trying to say that you aren't allowed to complain at Disneyland, I'm totally guilty, I'm just saying that if you let yourself get annoyed by every single thing that doesn't go exactly to your plan, it could make your day, and even others' days around you, not a magical day. Let me know what you think.

Last edited:
We always say that Disney does what they can to make the magic, but our attitudes make up the rest of the equation. While there are exceptions, we are responsible for choosing to focus on the negative or the positive. Sometimes the most magical things happen when things don't go as we had planned! We just have to choose to be open.

Disney should take some of the blame for this. Used to be you watch the fireworks from anywhere in the park. Now the show(s) pretty much force everyone to herd in like cattle.
I know this is going to come across wrong (in type at least) but the passes tend to crowd the park. Don't get me wrong,,if we lived there we'd 'probably' have passes also.
The sad part is,shmoes like us,who only go every 3 maybe 5 years get frustrated. Just sayin.

Dear Disneyland Resort Guests who are always complaining at the parks,

I know you well. I visit DL very often, as I live nearby. And one of my biggest pet peeves is when guests complain about the very little things. I think part of this comes from guest entitlement, where people come to the park expecting that because they came to the park, they are guaranteed a certain experience. Personally I don't think that anyone should go into any sort of Disney vacation with specific expectations. When I visit the parks, I know that I'm going to have a good time, but I don't expect to get on a specific number of attractions, or watch a show from a certain place. Cast members do what they can, but there are hundreds of guests in the park every day, and CMs can't make everyone's day exactly how they want. Rides break down, lines get long, just things happen. So even if your day doesn't go according to plan, don't complain about it and make other guests uncomfortable, or make a CMs job harder. I'm not trying to say that you aren't allowed to complain at Disneyland, I'm totally guilty, I'm just saying that if you let yourself get annoyed by every single thing that doesn't go exactly to your plan, it could make your day, and even others' days around you, not a magical day. Let me know what you think.

Sincerely,

A Seasoned Disneyland AP Holder

Sorry, but I'm not sure that I agree.

Whilst I hate whinging and complaining, and generally do not tolerate it from those around me, I think that you are looking at this from a very different perspective than most.

It's ok for you if you don't get to ride a ride or see a show or eat at a certain place because you live close by and can just come back next time and do it. Many guests (and probably the ones you hear complaining) only get to visit once in a lifetime or maybe a handful of times in their life. If they miss out they may never get to experience it ever again. They might miss out on that ride or show or meal that that have spent years saving for and looking forward to. All the while knowing that this is their only chance.

And quite likely the reason they are missing out is because the park is half full of locals that have done it all before and will do it all again, and only pay a fraction of what these people have paid to walk through the gates.

So yes, I undrstand why people complain and I feel that often they have a valid reason to. For you to sit in your position of being able to come and go as you please and yet have no empathy for those that dont have this privilege is kind of ridiculous.

I don't think the OP is saying that there's never a time to complain or that no complaints at DLR are valid. I think this post is addressed at the posters who seem to complain about and criticize everything. Sometimes those kinds of posts are understandable vents, but other times they can be bafflingly negative. (OP, please correct me if I misunderstood you.)

I do want to point out that many APs (and I know this from personal experience and from friends' experience) will deliberately give up places in line or spots for a parade or fireworks (or do what we can to squeeze in more people) or get FPs so that we can give them away to a family in the standby line. We gladly offer to help when we see someone needing assistance (like pointing out the nearest restroom to a confused parent who doesn't have time to search the map). Many (and I know that it isn't all, more's the pity) APs love making and spreading the magic when we can. Being local isn't something that we do just to spite other people or to deliberately hog the parks. We live where we live. You live where you live. Crowded days in the parks are just as crowded for us as they are for non-locals. (Yes, Disney does need to do some serious thinking about how to address the crowding issue.) And most of us don't have nearby hotels to go back to for swim time or naps during the day. Disappointments happen for locals, too. But, our ability to come back another time can work in your favor. Instead of complaining about all the non-local guests, we choose to see the fun in helping others. It's a lot more fun than being miserable, that's for sure!

P.S. I can relate to your frustration. When we did our once in a lifetime trip to Australia, I came down with pneumonia. It could have ruined our trip (we had to cut out one entire leg of the vacation), but instead we met so many nice people at the hospital and in the hotel. It actually made our trip more memorable because we knew these people were choosing to help us. Did the trip go the way we wanted? Absolutely not. But was it a great trip anyway? Yes.

Last edited:
Some people are just wired to complain. Born complaining and never stop - I'm pretty sure we all have had experience with these types. Otherwise it is usually situational, but throw in spending lots of money or an unfamiliar environment and it compounds the situation.

I grew up in the DC area, rode metro, visited museums etc till bored Bc I could always go back. One time a friend and I were walking near the doors to a museum and were just saying how really great (and not too humid) the weather was that day, when a small family tourist group passes us saying how terribly humid and hot it was and looking somewhat desperate and upset -you know it was their big trip to see the capitol and they weren't leaving just yet and didn't expect such oppressive weather. We (being young) giggled Bc the perspectives were so different.

It's good to hear that the locals sometimes pass along their Fp if they are not going to use them or provide a bit of magic otherwise, and I'm sure it gets tiring to hear the same complaints repeatedly. Since you get to the parks often and know the parks really well some of the complaints must seem really silly or obviously fixable.

As someone who has paid ~$100 for entrance I do feel entitled to a certain experience. Honestly, if I hear someone complain, I would just take it with a grain of salt and move on. You never know what that person is dealing with. Maybe they had a horrible night's sleep at the hotel, or maybe their legs and feet are killing them because they aren't used to all the walking or a hundred other things. How about some empathy?

Empathy for someone who is having a really bad day? Of course. Bad days happen to everyone, anywhere. (But when they happen at DLR, it doesn't automatically mean it is the passholders' fault!)

I think some of you may have gotten the wrong idea about what I meant. I am really sorry if I offended you and that isn't what I meant at all. Guests who don't get to visit very much definitely deserve a great trip! I think theluckyrabit summed up my point better than I can. I was actually meaning to address more the guests who are unreasonably negative and even actually people who visit more often and complain about every single little detail. This honestly was a very delayed reaction to the "Disneyland Harassed Me!" YouTube video a while back. I am glad to be able to be in the park every time I'm there, especially because my pass is about to expire and I am not very sure I'll be getting another one. Nevertheless, I'm always willing to give up fastpasses, or a better spot, or chat with a little kid if they are bored in line. Trust me, if I could make the park big enough and cheap enough for everyone, I would. I'm not against anyone. What I was really trying to say was keep a positive attitude, and your day will be that much better! Again, I'm really sorry if anyone got the wrong idea about what I said. I did not word it as well as I should have.

Last edited:
I don't agree one bit.
IMO your post is disrespectful to anyone who has ever complained about something you would consider "small". You also suggest that since this "small" thing bothered them they "don't have a positive attitude". Your making a lot assumptions about people.
People have the right to complain, even more so when a family of 4 is spending $500+ A DAY.
I personally don't understand people that think Disney can do no wrong. The fact is, the more they charge us the better experience we expect.
And it's not just "stuff happens". Disney is responsible for most of what goes on in regards to its own facilities. Are they responsible for rides that break down?
Maybe and maybe not but they certainly aren't automatically not responsible.

We were in the park 6 days at the beginning of the month and it was great but if they do something to diminish my experience I'm going to talk about it and not just accept anything Disney throws my way.

Last edited:
The OP just apologized for offending, which was not her intention at all. (And good for her -- not enough people come back to apologize.) And she actually agrees with you about guests wanting to have a great trip. She just clarified that she was talking about the people who post that Disney can do absolutely nothing right. Does Disney make mistakes? Oh yeah. Do they do things right? Oh yeah. No company is perfect, but not everything is Disney's fault. People have posted to complain about problems with the weather (e.g. Santa Ana winds cancelling fireworks). Disney can't control that. They will even delay the fireworks as long as they can to see if the winds change direction, but even they can't change the safety regulations. Reasonable guests can see that, even through their disappointment. But there are some people who clearly wouldn't be satisfied if Disney let them stay in the Dream Suite (too small, not enough compensation, they deserve more, etc.)! The OP said she was addressing these situations, where a change of attitude might not change the circumstances, but could make the outcome a lot better.

As an example, there was a poster a few years ago who asked for and received a LOT of help on these boards. First trip to DLR, frequent WDW visitor, scared to death of trying something new, etc. He got lots of encouragement and good advice from seasoned DISers, which he then chose to ignore. He came back here to rant, vent, criticize, dump, etc. How were people supposed to feel after giving him so much help? He said that his wife and kids had a fun time in spite of his griping, but he refused to see anything positive even in his kids' happiness. He had made up his mind that DLR was awful, CMs could do nothing right, the whole trip was a waste. How sad for him and his family. I think the OP is referring to these kinds of situations.

Last edited:
The OP was just making a statement about people being overtly negative when things don't always go their way. There are many people like this in the world and, personally, I don't want to hear a bunch of griping when I'm at my happy place, either. I know that there's always unforeseen circumstances that Disney can't control and though I may be disappointed, it will not ruin my time and I won't be focusing on it for long. Disney can do wrong, but I happen to believe they do a lot more right than they do wrong. I'm always impressed at the parks. Maybe if I went more often and they became more "ordinary" to me, I'd feel differently, but that's precisely why I don't go more often. I'm close enough to go pretty often if I really wanted to, but I don't want to lose that specialness that DLR is to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter