An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine so although it’s seems some haven’t been charged for resort parking even booking after the cutoff, for whatever reason. Based on Disney adding that new fee, I doubt they would flinch at adding a pre stay room check fee if they think they could get away with it. I can only imagine though how much trouble they would have with implementing it though.

Lots of info captured in MDE accounts, but making it work might take years with Disney’s IT issues

.....I don’t see why Disney can’t offer a TSA-Precheck style program, especially with their frequent guests. Those of us who have been going for years and years can opt in (and even pay a cost, I get it) and NOT be subject to room checks. Disney will know that we are a “known visitor”, as TSA knows that we are a “Known Traveler.” I think it would be a win-win; Disney wouldn’t have to send employees into EVERY guest room on a daily basis, therefore saving time and money. And guests would sleep/rest easier, knowing they won’t be disturbed. :)

Just a heads up.... This idea was shared in the original post of this thread. Disney never commented on it.

Welcome Home!

Most hotels are doing something similar, Disney or not. It isn't really right, but as for being able to take a nap, there are great devices on the door called a deadbolt and security lock, make sure they are locked when in your room to keep yourself and it prevents this issue, and really you should do so to help keep yourself safe anyway.

All of that being said, this shouldnt be done and a precheck system shouldnt be necessary, those who give up freedom in the name of security deserve neither. So really we should make it loud and clear we dont like it, but we also shouldn't let it ruin our trip either.

Most hotels are doing something similar, Disney or not. It isn't really right, but as for being able to take a nap, there are great devices on the door called a deadbolt and security lock, make sure they are locked when in your room to keep yourself and it prevents this issue, and really you should do so to help keep yourself safe anyway.

All of that being said, this shouldnt be done and a precheck system shouldnt be necessary, those who give up freedom in the name of security deserve neither. So really we should make it loud and clear we dont like it, but we also shouldn't let it ruin our trip either.
Naps are hard to take if they stand there pounding on the door as some have reported. I agree otherwise.

We feel there's no reason. Probably the public-facing CMs feel there's no reason. Disney feels there's a reason. Disney owns the rooms.
Actually, for DVC members, it is a bit different, as the members own a specific percentage of a specific room. Thus Disney no longer technically owns the room, but only administers its usage on behalf of the members who actually own them.

i don't think that I would feel threatened. I would be too annoyed. ;)
Sorry, if I hear pounding on my door, I assume that someone is trying to attack me. Anyone who legitimately needs access to my room has my room number and thus can contact me on the phone and then I can call the front desk to verify that the call was legitimate.

Calling the front desk to verify a call and calling 911 if someone is pounding on the door is what Dis ey has said you should do to keep yourself safe, I see no reason not to co tongue to follow this advice.

:offtopic: Also not my experience...lost my daughter at Blizzard Beach in 2016 (long story) and I was stunned at how poorly Disney handled it. They told us at "lost children" that they communicated to all staff and lifeguards to look for her and that there was a coordinated effort, but as I literally ran around the park looking for her (my son was stationed with our stuff and my husband and I looked), I did not encounter one single CM that was aware of the situation and was already keeping an eye out for her. I eventually found her myself, no thanks to Disney staff. Longest hour of my entire life.

Sorry, I have been lurking throughout this entire thread as this is a topic of great concern to me, but had to throw my thoughts in about that...
This amazes me, as they have the ability to pinpoint anyone's locstionnwithin about 25 feet thanks to Magicbands and yes, they really do have that ability. Disney also participates in Code Adam, which when activated means no child leaves the park until the missing child is found. Now you as the guest with a missing child may never know if they called a code Adam, but they may have done so. Bu really, always insist on having security there if a child is missing, they are trained on how to handle such things.

All of that being said, this shouldnt be done and a precheck system shouldnt be necessary, those who give up freedom in the name of security deserve neither.

I thought we were done with the ridiculous comparison of a hotel policy to government intrusions into one's privacy. Not even apples and oranges, apples and cars.

Actually, for DVC members, it is a bit different, as the members own a specific percentage of a specific room. Thus Disney no longer technically owns the room, but only administers its usage on behalf of the members who actually own them.

This is not accurate. DVC members do not have an ownership or any other kind of interest in a specific room.

This amazes me, as they have the ability to pinpoint anyone's locstionnwithin about 25 feet thanks to Magicbands and yes, they really do have that ability. Disney also participates in Code Adam, which when activated means no child leaves the park until the missing child is found. Now you as the guest with a missing child may never know if they called a code Adam, but they may have done so. Bu really, always insist on having security there if a child is missing, they are trained on how to handle such things.

I did talk to security, but thanks!

I stayed at the GF last week. Shortly after arrival, I called to ask for a pack n play. The lady on the phone said to make sure the room occupied sign is not on the door because they won’t knock if it is.

Edited to add: We did not decline housekeeping, and were mostly out of the room during the day. Had a late start one day, and housekeeping knocked around 10, and I told them we’d be out of the room in about 30 min (RO sign was not up.) On checkout day, we knew we’d be in the room til 11, so we put the sign out, and no one knocked. They did obviously come by because there was a basket of sheets next to the door.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. What you were told mirrors my experience in January at the Dolphin.

Maybe if we call and request something at a Disney resort, that delivery counts as a room check and we can get it over with, at least for that day?

It seems like there may be nuances in how Disney staff interprets a room occupied sign.

My understanding is that as DVC members, all we have is a lessee interest.

My understanding is that as DVC members, all we have is a lessee interest.

I am pretty sure you are correct there, and that means we have no legal standing to keep them out of our property. When I rented years ago, my landlord would pop by to "change the air filter" (really keep an eye on things). That was his legal right, as he owned the property.

I thought we were done with the ridiculous comparison of a hotel policy to government intrusions into one's privacy. Not even apples and oranges, apples and cars.
Actually, it is the same thing, you are afforded the same rights when renting a hotel room as you would renting an apartment with the exception of being required to give eviction notices. I know this applies in California, but I believe it would be on a federal level. This means the landlord or "Inn Keeper" does not have a right to enter the premises without giving you 48 hours advance notice of exactly when they are entering and why and you have to agree to it. The exceptions to this are if there is an emergency, say a plumbing leak that can only be fixed by entering the residence and then only to the extent required to make repairs, if they see anything illegal, they cannot report it. They also can enter if they have reason to suspect you have abandoned the premises. And if there is a warrant, otherwise like a landlord, the Inn Keeper is barred from entering the room or apartment you have rented without your Express consent.

This is not accurate. DVC members do not have an ownership or any other kind of interest in a specific room.
My DVC contract states that I own x% of Room YYY at Disney's Grand Californian Villas. Exact wording, except I removed the coerce rage and room number for security.

I am pretty sure you are correct there, and that means we have no legal standing to keep them out of our property. When I rented years ago, my landlord would pop by to "change the air filter" (really keep an eye on things). That was his legal right, as he owned the property.
Actually, it is not his legal right, he must give 48 hours advanced written notice prior to entering your premises and you must agree to let him do so unless there is an emergency or the place appears abandoned.

Actually, it is the same thing, you are afforded the same rights when renting a hotel room as you would renting an apartment with the exception of being required to give eviction notices. I know this applies in California, but I believe it would be on a federal level. This means the landlord or "Inn Keeper" does not have a right to enter the premises without giving you 48 hours advance notice of exactly when they are entering and why and you have to agree to it. The exceptions to this are if there is an emergency, say a plumbing leak that can only be fixed by entering the residence and then only to the extent required to make repairs, if they see anything illegal, they cannot report it. They also can enter if they have reason to suspect you have abandoned the premises. And if there is a warrant, otherwise like a landlord, the Inn Keeper is barred from entering the room or apartment you have rented without your Express consent.

My DVC contract states that I own x% of Room YYY at Disney's Grand Californian Villas. Exact wording, except I removed the coerce rage and room number for security.
That ownership interest in a specific parcel of land gives you the right to pay property taxes.

To interject a little humor, this from another website posted early this year:

“Well, that’s certainly ONE way to get our overpopulation problem under control. Have to imagine there’ll be a sharp decline in more intimate encounters at Disney hotels.”

And my related observation:

So much for Disney as a honeymoon destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter