An open letter to Disney about mandatory room checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I can tell you right now I would not have had the same pleasant vacation if I had declined housekeeping, but that has nothing to do with Disney's policy change.

Has the question only been posed to those who have declined Housekeeping?

I'd say it has everything to do with the policy change.

Accept housekeeping: business as usual, especially when compared to most other hotels.
Decline housekeeping: other hotels ask if you need anything, then leaves you alone, but Disney insists on entering every single day regardless. This is the key difference between the experiences, and why it has everything to do with Disney's unique policy.

No, technically the question hasn't been posed only to those who have declined housekeeping, but since those who accept housekeeping aren't impacted by the change, I don't see where those experiences add value to a conversation where people are venting about the perceived idiocy of Disney's policy.

I'd say it has everything to do with the policy change.

Accept housekeeping: business as usual, especially when compared to most other hotels.
Decline housekeeping: other hotels ask if you need anything, then leaves you alone, but Disney insists on entering every single day regardless. This is the key difference between the experiences, and why it has everything to do with Disney's unique policy.

No, technically the question hasn't been posed only to those who have declined housekeeping, but since those who accept housekeeping aren't impacted by the change, I don't see where those experiences add value to a conversation where people are venting about the perceived idiocy of Disney's policy.
I’m not certain, but I interpreted AngiTN’s comment as meaning she enjoys having her room cleaned and made up while on vacation. Housekeeping does more than just interrupt people’s naps.

That in itself is a change I am not looking forward to.

I’m curious. Have you had your room occupied sign on your door the morning you check out?
I know we did not have it out in April, I forgot to put it out. I can't remember the other times. More than likely I forgot because we don't usually remember it

That is not related to this policy. That's been happening to us at WDW on and off for the last 10 years. They are the most aggressive on check out morning than anywhere else we've ever stayed.

It’s never happened to me when I’ve used my do not disturb sign, and we almost always stay until 11am.

Me neither. Just lucky?

Wish I could say the same.

Nobody has ever knocked on my door when the do not disturb sign is on. Ever. Check out day or otherwise. Maybe @dansdad is just unlucky.

Last year we opted out of housekeeping for two weeks at Pop. Every time I had to call housekeeping to request something, they always reminded me to take the do not disturb sign off my door because they weren’t allowed to knock.

We joined DVC in 2014 and THIS past trip (May 2018) was the first time we DIDN'T have a housekeeper knocking at 8:30am on check out day to see if we were gone yet. ...and yes we always used to put out the DND sign. We also had housekeeping knocking at 8am at the Sheraton Vistana in 2016 when we did an extra cash stay.

As I stated previously, we don't get "housekeeping" with DVC but we did come back each afternoon to find trash taken by the trash fairy in May.

Guess I'll add my cents to this. We got a call requesting to enter our room because our do not disturb sign was on. It aggravated me but I let it go. Does it impact future stays? Maybe.

We joined DVC in 2014 and THIS past trip (May 2018) was the first time we DIDN'T have a housekeeper knocking at 8:30am on check out day to see if we were gone yet. ...and yes we always used to put out the DND sign. We also had housekeeping knocking at 8am at the Sheraton Vistana in 2016 when we did an extra cash stay.

As I stated previously, we don't get "housekeeping" with DVC but we did come back each afternoon to find trash taken by the trash fairy in May.

Housekeeping knocking at your door early in the morning on check out day may be the norm for some people, but most likely it will be the norm for all now with the new policy.

And just to add, if housekeeping was knocking at my door at 8:30am on checkout day and I had a do not disturb sign on my door, I’d be ticked.

Housekeeping knocking at your door early in the morning on check out day may be the norm for some people, but most likely it will be the norm for all now with the new policy.

And just to add, if housekeeping was knocking at my door at 8:30am on checkout day and I had a do not disturb sign on my door, I’d be ticked.

It wasn't on our trip last month.

Can’t rely on being able to sleep past 8 or so check out day. Not too good for split stay trips.

For me, the difference is when housekeeping comes and it's not a good time, they come back later. When the room check guy comes, they enter the room. I said earlier he came while we were napping during our trip. It's kind of awkward to have a strange man looking around my room while I'm in bed. While not the end of the world for me...definitely awkward.

Nope. There was none in the room at all.

I was kind of hoping you were going to say you had it out since @AngiTN didn’t put her room occupied sign out but her door did get knocked on before check out time. I was looking for a common theme, but there is none to be found.

I guess the one thing we can all agree on is that there is no consistency.

Can’t rely on being able to sleep past 8 or so check out day. Not too good for split stay trips.
I can't say what time they come for others but in our stays where they've come it's always been after 10:00. For what it's worth

Well by golly I wonder why you haven't had any issues with the room check policy!?!?!

Everyone gets it: for those who accept housekeeping, there are no issues. Life is great. That's not the issue, but I'm glad your stays have been to your liking.

I wonder if you would have had the same, uninterrupted, pleasant vacation had you declined housekeeping.
Actually, there've been a (very?) few posters in this thread who experienced both housekeeping and a room check.

I never saw a sign in our room at POR. It's possible I missed it.

Had them in my rooms but they often fell off. The part that goes over the doorknob isn’t sized right. I also have read reports that they even disappear when the HK wanted to do room check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter