Amtrak Not the Autotrain

DJFan88

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever come in from Amtrak besides the Autotrain? I’m guessing the Orlando station parallel to Rt. 4 but what did you use for transportation to Disney? Have you tried Mears from a location like this? I see they are nearby. Any advice or tips on regular train riders is appreciated

I haven't ridden the train, but have read from old posts here on the DIS that the Kissimmee station may be closer to WDW than the Orlando station.

I took an uber from the orlando station to WDW, and back at the end of my trip. I don't recall it being very expensive - maybe $25 or $30. It was quick and convenient. This was late 2018 i think, so prices may be different now.

I did look at getting off in kissimmee but thought it might be easier to get a cab in Orlando if the uber didn't work out, though uber did in fact work out fine.

We used Orlando (regular train, coach, 4 kids plus us parents, from Newark NJ). This was years ago, but a car rental company picked us up, took us to their location nearby, and we got a rental car (minivan). I think we used Orlando station because we were able to arrange this. It was many years ago. They had a kids ride free promo, we really wanted to save $$ so it was an adventure. We liked it, but never repeated it.

PS bring a cooler of food, snacks and drinks. You can get some things on the train but nice to have your own. Also small blanket throws, small pillows.

We used Orlando (regular train, coach, 4 kids plus us parents, from Newark NJ). This was years ago, but a car rental company picked us up, took us to their location nearby, and we got a rental car (minivan). I think we used Orlando station because we were able to arrange this. It was many years ago. They had a kids ride free promo, we really wanted to save $$ so it was an adventure. We liked it, but never repeated it.

PS bring a cooler of food, snacks and drinks. You can get some things on the train but nice to have your own. Also small blanket throws, small pillows.

Thanks for the info. We usually use the Autotrain so we definitely stock up on snacks, etc., but we come from MA and my husband usually drives us to Lorton, we have it all down to a science.
However this trip he may not be able to come with us (I have adult kids and ones girlfriend) so to save the stress may just grab the train the whole way. I’ve done this also to Ft. Myers but my Mom picked me up as she lived there.
I know the train is not for everyone, but we are all used to the downtime. We used to drive the whole way, but the Autotrain is a nice way to go we have fun with it.
There’s a small chance he’ll be able to go and we’ll stick with our usual, but I’m preparing for this scenario

We took Amtrak into Orlando and Enterprise left our car at the station.

We took Amtrak into Orlando and Enterprise left our car at the station.

Thanks, that is something to consider if I want a car. I did not know you could do that.

I actually just found a good link that lists doing that at apparently the Kissimmee station which is better suited for Disney.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice, every bit pointed me in the right direction and I have a pretty good understanding now as you all helped me know what I was searching for.

If anyone is interested, this link is good https://amtrakguide.com/stations/kissimmee-amtrak-station/

Last edited:
Thanks, that is something to consider if I want a car. I did not know you could do that.

I actually just found a good link that lists doing that at apparently the Kissimmee station which is better suited for Disney.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice, every bit pointed me in the right direction and I have a pretty good understanding now as you all helped me know what I was searching for.

If anyone is interested, this link is good https://amtrakguide.com/stations/kissimmee-amtrak-station/

While the Kissimmee station is technically closer to WDW, keep in mind that it is not a full service station like Orlando, hence many folks typically prefer to use the Orlando station.. The Orlando station has more amenities, concessions, transportation services, car rental pickup, a large indoor waiting hall, etc.. These services are either not available or very limited at Kissimmee station. Just something to keep in mind, especially if there are delays or inclement weather.

While the Kissimmee station is technically closer to WDW, keep in mind that it is not a full service station like Orlando, hence many folks typically prefer to use the Orlando station.. The Orlando station has more amenities, concessions, transportation services, car rental pickup, a large indoor waiting hall, etc.. These services are either not available or very limited at Kissimmee station. Just something to keep in mind, especially if there are delays or inclement weather.

thanks that’s good to know, I couldn’t find anything about that,that’s important stuff.

Kissimmee does have an indoor waiting room, although it's small and seating is very limited. IMHO, it retains the charm of a small town early 20th century rail station. Orlando is large and architecturally impressive with plenty of seating. There are rest rooms at both stations.

Both stations are one-person operations, offering checked baggage and ticketing.

There is no car rental desk at either station. As per PP, car rental via pickup or advance arrangement might be available at either, if the train arrives during normal business hours.

There is no permanent food service at Orlando. I've been at the station 3 times while a train was at the platform; one time there was a hot dog and sandwich cart set up, the other 2 times there was nothing. OTOH, Willy's Wieners is just around the corner from Kissimmee station.
There are several other restaurants within a couple of blocks, as the station is located in Kissimmee's historic downtown area.

Kissimmee station is located next to the city's main bus station, where there is a bus that runs to TTC at WDW. At Orlando, there's probably a bus that runs down Orange Ave. which is about a quarter mile from the station, but it does not go to WDW.

Both stations have small parking lots. Orlando's is larger than Kissimmee's. But Kissimmee also has a large, free public garage just across the tracks.

Both stations have have free-standing shelters over parts of the platform, and benches on the platform.

Wow that’s a lot of great information Joel l , this appears as to what I was thinking when I viewed the link. Thanks so much for weighing in!

Couple notes for people who have used the non-Auto train routes to Disney in the past...

1. The Silver Meteor is currently not running, only the Silver Star is running. It looks like the Silver Meteor might be back in May on a limited schedule.

2. The Silver Star has gone back to having dining car service. A while back they eliminated the dining car on the Silver Star, and gave a reduced price for rooms since you were no longer getting "free" meals. The Silver Meteor did retain it's dining car service. Not sure if this will change back on the Star when the Meteor comes back.

Couple notes for people who have used the non-Auto train routes to Disney in the past...

1. The Silver Meteor is currently not running, only the Silver Star is running. It looks like the Silver Meteor might be back in May on a limited schedule.

2. The Silver Star has gone back to having dining car service. A while back they eliminated the dining car on the Silver Star, and gave a reduced price for rooms since you were no longer getting "free" meals. The Silver Meteor did retain it's dining car service. Not sure if this will change back on the Star when the Meteor comes back.

Very odd that Silver Meteor service remains suspended, every industry has been impacted by staffing shortages and the have had to make due, strange that Amtrak is using that as an excuse to extend service cuts..

It's currently bookable beginning 5/23 northbound, and 5/25 southbound. But that certainly is not set in stone; it was already postponed once. It might even start earlier if they get things back in order. I haven't heard anything about the schedule being less than normal once it resumes.

In the meantime, all the cars that used to run on the Meteor have been added on to the Star, so the capacity is the same, but only one train a day.
IIRC, the restoration of the Star dining car happened before the pandemic effect, when they went from full dining to reheated precooked meals (like frozen meals, but refrigerated and usually heated in a convection oven rather a microwave). Amtrak has said they will upgrade dining at some point, but no further details.
Very odd that Silver Meteor service remains suspended, every industry has been impacted by staffing shortages and the have had to make due, strange that Amtrak is using that as an excuse to extend service cuts..
It's not an excuse; it's reality. Amtrak management foolishly laid off a large part of their workforce during the pandemic, and have not been able to restaff. They have been hiring furiously the past couple of months.

They can't "make do"; engineers and conductors require a lot of training and are subject to strict hours-of-work rules. A shortage of qualified maintenance staff has resulted in a shortage of usable cars and locomotives.

Some members of the U.S. Congress are watching them like hawks, and they would not have been allowed to get away with the service cuts if they were not justified.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter