Amputee and Rides

Gnash84

Earning My Ears
Hello,

Posted this over on another board and I was referred here. We are going back to Disney in a couple of weeks. This is my first trip since my amputation surgery. I am looking for information on the rides that I will be allowed on and what I am not allowed on. I will probably not have my prosthetic by that time (don't get me started, the insurance company screwed us).

My amputation is at the pelvis, so I have no residual limb on my right side. My left leg, and my hands and arms are perfectly normal. I cannot find any information on Disney's website about amputees. The other theme parks have pretty detailed information albeit sometimes confusing.

If anyone has been who has had a hemipelvectomy or hip disarticulation and has information about this I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

:welcome:to DISboards!
To my knowledge WDW does not have any restrictions on amputees. This may be because WDW rides don’t tend to be as intense as rides at other parks. As long as you can sit in the seat with the restraints properly in place, and brace yourself as needed, you can ride. You’ll also need to enter/exit the ride vehicle without CM assistance (your own party can assist).

I am guessing Tron could be a potential problem if riding on the bike. I can't think of any other coasters that will be an issue at disney right off the bat but not 100% sure. Rides like velocicoaster at universal would be an issue but the restraints at disney should be secure for you.

I have never seen anyone in a WDW ride with an amputation similar to yours, but I have had interaction with patients with similar situations (as an Infection Prevention RN, not Direct Care). So, I at least have some ideas that might be helpful.
I agree with the other posters that Disney has much different types of rides than Universal. The Universal rides, for the most part, are much more intense and have many more restrictions on who can safely fit the restraints.

There are 3 at WDW with restraints or motion that might be an issue with your situation:

- Rock N Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studio goes upside down (I’ve read it actually has 3 inversions kind of in a corkscrew). The restraint is an over the head chest restraint and should work for you, I think. There is a test seat, but as far as I know, you would need to ask a Cast Member (CM) to try it out. That would let you know if the restraint would hold you securely enough with only one hip.
Pammie Plus Parks has a good YouTube video - it’s from the viewpoint of a Plus Size guest, but very helpful for disabilities.

- Flight of Passage in Avatar at Animal Kingdom is an unusual configuration. It simulates riding on the back of a large flying creature. Guests straddle the ride vehicle like a motorcycle, knees are bent and you slide forward to a front panel and lean forward. The restraints come up behind the knees and back. I don’t know how that will work without a leg and pelvis - I‘m quite sure they have worked it out for people with AKAs, but not sure if the back restraint will work if you sit unevenly. There is a trial seat right outside of the attraction. There is also a wheelchair transfer device available that allows guests to sit while the transfer device slides forward to get into position on the seat.

- TRON at Magic Kingdom also has an unusual configuration. Guests are seated leaning forward on a motorcycle-like vehicle with behind the knee and behind the back restraints. There is a test vehicle and the ride also includes a more car like vehicle for guests who can’t ride the standard one. There is a thread stuck near the top of this board with more information.

Thank you! You have all been very helpful. I just hate waiting in line just to get up there and not able to ride the ride and hold up the line even more.

Thank you! You have all been very helpful. I just hate waiting in line just to get up there and not able to ride the ride and hold up the line even more.
You might also find posts 18-21 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread helpful.
It has information about ride transfers and which may be more difficult. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean is one where guests are seated very low to the ground and Space Mountain is also very low.
Some attractions have an ADA ride vehicle with a door that opens wider. That may be helpful for you to allow a larger opening for manouvering in and out. Some also have a transfer device - usually a transfer tier (often called ‘bump steps’ for guests to transfer from a wheelchair seated position into the ride vehicle.

There is a paraplegic YouTube poster named wheelsnoheels from the UK who posted info about her WDW trips. Her last trip was before COVID and some of her information may not be applicable to you, but you can probably still glean some helpful info.
She made a rating for difficulty of transfer and also roughness. Some attractions can really whip you around - for example, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is a bench seat with a thin lap bar shared with all the guests on the bench. I find it very rough.

I am actually pretty mobile. I am not confined to a wheelchair. I will get a mobility scooter for the long distances but walking on rides with my crutches is not an issue? Speaking of crutches, what do I do with my crutches? I need them to get to the ride vehicle. Will they just take them once I am on the ride? I assume some rides I can keep them with me, like pirates, peter pan, little mermaid etc.

I am actually pretty mobile. I am not confined to a wheelchair. I will get a mobility scooter for the long distances but walking on rides with my crutches is not an issue? Speaking of crutches, what do I do with my crutches? I need them to get to the ride vehicle. Will they just take them once I am on the ride? I assume some rides I can keep them with me, like pirates, peter pan, little mermaid etc.

sometimes you can take them onto the ride with you but much of the time the cast member takes them and gives them back when you return to the exit. They are very good about that. IDK how they keep track but they do

Walking on rides with crutches is not an issue, but the ADA car with a wider opening door can be helpful for manouverability since it gives more space.
It still may be worth looking at some videos (specifically Pammie Plus Parks and wheelsnoheels because they usually show the ride cars and you can get an idea of how you might approach some of the low ones - like Pirates and Space Mountain

Hello,

Posted this over on another board and I was referred here. We are going back to Disney in a couple of weeks. This is my first trip since my amputation surgery. I am looking for information on the rides that I will be allowed on and what I am not allowed on. I will probably not have my prosthetic by that time (don't get me started, the insurance company screwed us).

My amputation is at the pelvis, so I have no residual limb on my right side. My left leg, and my hands and arms are perfectly normal. I cannot find any information on Disney's website about amputees. The other theme parks have pretty detailed information albeit sometimes confusing.

If anyone has been who has had a hemipelvectomy or hip disarticulation and has information about this I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!
Hi @Gnash84! 👋 I have a right BKA (below knee amputation for those not familiar with the abbreviations). Anyway, I’ve been an amputee for a very long time, but I haven’t been to WDW without my prosthesis. I learned the hard way over the years that using an ECV is the way to go for me. I don’t use one in my everyday life, but due to the copious amounts of walking/standing in line, it’s a godsend at WDW.

Anyway, there have been times when I can’t wear my prosthesis for different reasons, and I will use crutches as well. While I haven’t used them at WDW, I would say getting onto some rides could be tricky with crutches because of how far you’ll have to lower your body down into the seat - esp. Space Mtn, RnRC, Pirates (really, any slow-moving boat ride). Honestly, I’d suggest renting a manual wheelchair and having someone push you (you could lay your crutches beside you with the ends of the crutches resting on one of the wheelchair footrests or you could rent an ECV (I know Gold’s Mobility can provide you with a crutches holder on the back of the scooter) because on some of these rides, you’ll have to lower yourself down into a tight space. It’ll be difficult to get the crutches down into the tight space while trying to keep the crutches in a stable position so you have enough room to pivot and sit down.

I think if you have someone traveling with you, it might be easier to have them help you lower yourself down to ground right before getting on a ride (I know sounds gross to sit on the ground), but this way, you could scoot your bum forward to the edge, lead with your left leg into the ride vehicle, and use your arms to brace yourself while you lower yourself into the seat (hope that makes sense). I’m not sure if the CMs would allow that on Pirates/Small World or if using a wheelchair to just ride on the boat rides would be easier?

On other rides, you should be crutch up to them to get on. They’d need to stop the moving walkway on Peter Pan, though. Finally, I can’t think of any ride at WDW that’s off limits to a lower extremity amputee. Might be a different story if you had an upper extremity amputation, but I’m not sure. At any rate, I’ve never been told I can’t ride something, whereas at Universal, I’ve been told I have to remove my prosthesis to ride Forbidden Journey and Velocicoaster.

Not sure if this has been helpful, but most importantly, I truly hope you have a great visit!!

Last edited:
I have never seen anyone in a WDW ride with an amputation similar to yours, but I have had interaction with patients with similar situations (as an Infection Prevention RN, not Direct Care). So, I at least have some ideas that might be helpful.
I agree with the other posters that Disney has much different types of rides than Universal. The Universal rides, for the most part, are much more intense and have many more restrictions on who can safely fit the restraints.

There are 3 at WDW with restraints or motion that might be an issue with your situation:

- Rock N Roller Coaster at Hollywood Studio goes upside down (I’ve read it actually has 3 inversions kind of in a corkscrew). The restraint is an over the head chest restraint and should work for you, I think. There is a test seat, but as far as I know, you would need to ask a Cast Member (CM) to try it out. That would let you know if the restraint would hold you securely enough with only one hip.
Pammie Plus Parks has a good YouTube video - it’s from the viewpoint of a Plus Size guest, but very helpful for disabilities.

- Flight of Passage in Avatar at Animal Kingdom is an unusual configuration. It simulates riding on the back of a large flying creature. Guests straddle the ride vehicle like a motorcycle, knees are bent and you slide forward to a front panel and lean forward. The restraints come up behind the knees and back. I don’t know how that will work without a leg and pelvis - I‘m quite sure they have worked it out for people with AKAs, but not sure if the back restraint will work if you sit unevenly. There is a trial seat right outside of the attraction. There is also a wheelchair transfer device available that allows guests to sit while the transfer device slides forward to get into position on the seat.

- TRON at Magic Kingdom also has an unusual configuration. Guests are seated leaning forward on a motorcycle-like vehicle with behind the knee and behind the back restraints. There is a test vehicle and the ride also includes a more car like vehicle for guests who can’t ride the standard one. There is a thread stuck near the top of this board with more information.
For Tron, one of the regular seats at the back of the "train" might work! For Pirates, they do not have a WC accessible boat where you are able to take the WC on, this is due to the drop. You have to be able to transfer into the boat.

. I am looking for information on the rides that I will be allowed on and what I am not allowed on
You will be allowed on almost everything. Flight of Passage is probably a no. Tron will almost certainly require use of the alternate seats.

Posters suggested some videos. It's possible you won't feel safe on some rides you're allowed. Some rides might be more of pain then it's worth

You will be allowed on almost everything. Flight of Passage is probably a no. Tron will almost certainly require use of the alternate seats.

Posters suggested some videos. It's possible you won't feel safe on some rides you're allowed. Some rides might be more of pain then it's worth
I don’t think Flight of Passage would be an issue. @Gnash84 could crutch up to the bike, sit down, turn and pivot to face the front. The restraint systems would go behind the left leg and lock into place, the restraint for the right leg would just come up and lock (even without a leg there), and then the last restraint would rest behind the lower back. It’s very snug so I don’t imagine there’d be an issue of falling (especially with the left foot providing stability for balance). Plus, your hands are holding on as well.

Last edited:
I don’t think Flight of Passade would be an issue. @Gnash84 could crutch up to the bike, sit down, turn and pivot to face the front. The restraint systems would go behind the left leg and lock into place, the restraint for the right leg would just come up and lock (even without a leg there), and then the last restraint would rest behind the lower back. It’s very snug so I don’t imagine there’d be an issue of falling (especially with the left foot providing stability for balance). Plus, your hands are holding on as well.
You may be right. I'd double check before getting on line, booking DAS or paying for $LL

Hello,

I work professionally with people who need mobility tech (insert your favorite term, mine never bother my clients but they usually tick off someone). I'm also a Dis Fan and go a lot. Often with clients. Here is my experience.

There isn't anything in WDW that someone with at least one good arm and one good leg can ride. Maybe at the waterparks but even then ... I don't think so. This assumes you can get yourself into the ride vehicle if the ride requires it.

The concern comes from ride restraints being designed with certain physiological assumptions, and there have been minor scandals when someone was refused access to a ride for being a double leg amputee (though I don't think at WDW). An amputation at the pelvis changes your kinetics pretty severely but with one good leg ... The only rides that even might be problematic are thrill rides that only restrain at the lap. Expedition Everest? Even then I don't see it being an issue.

Good luck. Let us know.

I crutched around the parks with forearm crutches until eventually moving full-time to my wheelchair. You can still use any of the transfer devices and accessible features on any ride vehicle with crutches. I find transferring mostly easier now in my chair than on crutches. I often travelled solo so didn’t feel comfortable taking my crutches with me on rides. They can’t force you to just like they can’t force you to take a walker or wheelchair. Some CMs get upset but those are my legs and I cant move if my cuffs get stepped on or broken…and CMs have dropped and damaged my crutches before while transferring over active coaster tracks. That’s why I never take my newest ones to the parks. Crutches have to go flat on the floor so at the feet of two or three others. If yours break easily, CMs will prop them up against flat walls and they’ll often fall over and be left where guests walk and will step and trip on them. Most moving walkways can be stopped so you can load…just ask. I also have no shame in sitting on the ground to load and unload at the Jungle Cruise since I couldn’t step into a rocking boat with crutches. You can request any row or seat if it helps you load or brace better but you might have to wait for the next vehicle or several. On crutches I found it easier to load and unload Pirates and Frozen from a non-end row so I could use the high backs of the seats. CMs would find it a strange request but would honor it. On IASW and the Mexican not ride I found it easier to crutch into the wheelchair boat. Transferring so much is exhausting so I prefer to be cautious and safe and conserve energy when I can. If you have ergonomic handles I’d recommend color coding so when you need one at a time handed back it’s easier for the person to know which to give.

Would you be willing to update your experience? My daughter is an external hip disarticulation amputee and we have a trip scheduled in October to celebrate her finishing cancer treatment. She does not have any prosthetic yet and likely won't by the time we go. I just want to know what she will be turned away from so she doesn't have to suffer crushing disappointment if she will be turned away (we went through this at Worlds of Fun...never again). I heard from another HD that the only rides she was not allowed on that she attempted were Slinkly Dog Dash and Space Mountain.

They are quick with mobility devices to help you exit, but a ride you might have issues is Kali River Rapids. The platform is moving and wet, and it's difficult to get off, even with help.

The least accessible ride is FOP, but you might still be able to ride this if you can physically fit and someone can help you up.

They will tell you at the back of the line, so it's not like any of these rides you will find out after waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter