• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amount of comfortable shoes when using a scooter?

Iris1974

Dis Veteran
Hi,

I am planning a trip to WDW in the first full week of December 2022 and I am going to be renting a scooter because I have bad knees. I wanted to know if I could get away with 1 pair of well worn in sneakers with new Dr. Scholl's gel insoles in them to use at WDW. I have another pair, but I'm currently waiting for my insurance to okay knee braces for me to walk to get into better shape for the parks. The braces may take a while and I can't wear in the new shoes until I get the braces because it is terribly painful to walk any long distance with out braces. I don't think I'll have the time to wear them in properly because I have to get used to the braces and wear my worn in sneakers to do that. Do I really need 2 pairs of comfortable shoes if I'm going to be using my scooter most of the time and I'm not going on rides because of mobility issues. Also my system just can't take the rides anymore. I'm 6 feet tall and Pooh sized so I don't fit well on the rides and with my knees it would be almost impossible to climb in and out of rides. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA :smickey:

Obviously, everyone is different & comfort levels are very subjective- but I personally will wear flat flip flops while wheeling around Disney that I would never be comfortable walking in!! I do wear a pair of good shoes when traveling down, but I usually don’t wear them again until I’m heading back home 😉

I walk very little around Disney, so my shoes aren’t important to me (even though I’ve got RA with foot pain)… do whatever makes you feel comfortable ☺️

I used one pair of shoes every time I left the room in my 9 day trip last year. However, I brought a second pair, flip-flop-type, for when I was on the balcony.

I suggest you bring two pair of shoes. I've got lots of foot and knee problems - well last time we were in Disney I actually lost one shoe! We still laugh about it, but my foot was giving me problems and asked by 14 year old granddaughter to take the shoe off. She did and said she left it on the scooter. With riding the scooter thru the park, it must have fallen. We reported it missing, but we along with the cast members laughed so hard. Cast members said I was the first adult to loose a shoe - they have tons of toddlers shoes. Fortunately I had a second pair of shoes at the hotel. They don't need to be expensive - even just a sling (flip flop would do). You cannot ride without shoes. I also don't ride, so just a pair of socks works - except some restaurants. No shirt, no shoes, no service.

I've got bad knees too. Ever since I found Crocs they've been the only shoes I wear. Very comfortable, and quick-drying. I always take an extra pair whenever I travel, just in case.

I've got bad knees too. Ever since I found Crocs they've been the only shoes I wear. Very comfortable, and quick-drying. I always take an extra pair whenever I travel, just in case.

Crocs are great for bad knees, feet and ankles; I found that they have started making a line shoes that are like the popular mesh fabric athletic/leisure shoes, and I frequently wear those while on my mobility device at WDW - they dry quickly if they happen to get wet, and the stretchy mesh fabric is gentle on the arthritic joints in my feet. I also bring along a couple of pairs of other shoes, typically well-broken in shoes that I know are comfortable.

As my husband likes to say "Disney World is NOT a fashion show! Dress for comfort!"

Hi,

I am planning a trip to WDW in the first full week of December 2022 and I am going to be renting a scooter because I have bad knees. I wanted to know if I could get away with 1 pair of well worn in sneakers with new Dr. Scholl's gel insoles in them to use at WDW. I have another pair, but I'm currently waiting for my insurance to okay knee braces for me to walk to get into better shape for the parks. The braces may take a while and I can't wear in the new shoes until I get the braces because it is terribly painful to walk any long distance with out braces. I don't think I'll have the time to wear them in properly because I have to get used to the braces and wear my worn in sneakers to do that. Do I really need 2 pairs of comfortable shoes if I'm going to be using my scooter most of the time and I'm not going on rides because of mobility issues. Also my system just can't take the rides anymore. I'm 6 feet tall and Pooh sized so I don't fit well on the rides and with my knees it would be almost impossible to climb in and out of rides. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA :smickey:

To be quite honest...Ive always gone to Disney with one pair of shoes because that's what I've always owned. I didn't have 2 pairs to take an extra with me, and especially if I'm saving to get to Disney (or when I was younger my parents were saving to get to Disney) we sure as heck couldn't afford another pair. It was never an issue. This, up until my last trip, was all walking. Most times, because scheduling only allowed for summer vacation, it was walking back to hotel during 12:00 pm daily monsoon rainstorm. If you can swing extra shoes, and feel like you need them...go ahead, but honestly I think you will be just fine without.

For park shoes I mainly only wear one pair, they’re hiking sandals and dry quickly. I bring a pair of flip flops to wear around the resort. I think you’ll be fine but maybe bring some crocs or flip flops just in case.

I would take a second pair. Even though you can't walk far right now, wear the new shoes everyday around the house. That will start the break in process. You might also consider getting braces like the ones below from Amazon. My knees aren't great and I use these all the time when I am working in the yard or doing things inside when I will be on my knees like scrubbing the floors.

Gladton Large XL XXL XXXL 2XL 3XL Knee Brace Support for Running, Sports, Arthritis Pain Relief, Meniscus Tear & Knee Injury. Patella Stabilizers for Plus Size Big Large Legs Thighs Women Men
Visit the GLADTON Store

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKZNNW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I agree with having a backup pair of shoes even with the scooter for vacation. My sister really will only wear one pair of shoes, with roll bars, until she has to replace them. She has a couple pair that are comfortable enough to wear without a lot of walking and she takes a pair of these for any trip over 3 or 4 days. In July, it rained pretty heavy and even on her scooter her feet got quite wet while working our way to cover and then in between the rain on t he way to the car. If she could handle sandals, she probably would use those as her backup instead of another pair of walking shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter