• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amoebae and Bay Lake

MODisFan

Mouseketeer
I was so happy to hear Pete "discuss" the accuracy of the amoebae in Bay Lake. I listened to anothe podcast last week and the host went on and on about how there is no such thing and how there are no alligators in Bay Lake. I was infuriated :headache: with the host for making such claims when they don't even live in Florida. I was also saddened (actually felt somewhat betrayed if that makes sense) that a DisUnplugged Podcast listener would email into that show and complain about information from the DisUnplugged. I was so upset about the whole situation that I erased all of that host's podcasts and vowed to not listen to them again.

Sorry for the mini rant. After listening to this week's podcast, I had a few things on my chest :)

the episode in question is the only one of that series i've ever listened to. from the start i wasn't impressed, then the way he disregarded and made fun of the woman's concerns showed me he isn't to be trusted.

If he's so sure the amobeas and alligators aren't in the lake he should go take a nice long swin to prove it to us. :lmao:

his show wasn't all that entertaining to listen to. the DIS Unplugged is so much more fun.:lovestruc :worship:

Go Pete for calling him out

There was a whole big thread on here about that when it (the other podcast) was first released. It sounded like it was kind of the opposite situation, where that listener was a frequent listener of the other show, and just happened upon the DIS unplugged. And for what it's worth, having listened to both for a while, I got the sense that other host was more responding to the ridiculous and hysterical nature of the question moreso than intending to provide a factually accurate response; and he did reference that it doesn't matter since swimming in the lake isn't allowed anyway. I'd also argue the individual in question is a decent enough guy, though a restatement or correction on the following show would have been nice. :confused3

All that said, the DU is definitely the most "fun" podcast out there, hands down. Others are also great, in their own ways, but nothing else is quite like the DIS.

There was a whole big thread on here about that when it (the other podcast) was first released. It sounded like it was kind of the opposite situation, where that listener was a frequent listener of the other show, and just happened upon the DIS unplugged. And for what it's worth, having listened to both for a while, I got the sense that other host was more responding to the ridiculous and hysterical nature of the question moreso than intending to provide a factually accurate response; and he did reference that it doesn't matter since swimming in the lake isn't allowed anyway. I'd also argue the individual in question is a decent enough guy, though a restatement or correction on the following show would have been nice. :confused3

All that said, the DU is definitely the most "fun" podcast out there, hands down. Others are also great, in their own ways, but nothing else is quite like the DIS.

This is exactly how I see it. The original question itself talked about bacteria (not amoebas), which was confusing to begin with and the question was way over-done, frightened children, etc. etc. The podcaster in question, Lou Mongello, is more than just "a decent enough guy", he's really truly an awesome guy, an author of two very popular Disney-related books, and a very good podcaster who manages to get interviews with amazing Disney related people. Lou's charity raised $20,000 in ONE day for The Make A Wish Foundation this past July. It's this team's dedication to him and his dream to make sure sick children get a chance to go to WDW that is truly awe-inspiring.

I honestly don't think he grasped the serious issue behind the question and if you want to fault him for that, fair enough. However, running him into the ground, deleting his podcasts forever, will not detract from the truly cool, decent, generous person that he is. I have met him several times and he has always been gracious and kind to me. I've never seen him be anything but gracious and kind to anyone he meets.

I love the DisUnplugged, but I also love his show. They are two different formats and each have their own place in the podcast community along with the dozen or more other podcasts out there.

Am I sticking up for him? Sure! But I would do the exact same for the DisUnplugged Crew if the shoe were on the other foot.

I should probably clarify that my figure of speech about Lou being "a decent enough guy" wasn't meant to belittle him at all, rather was just meant to mean that he didn't have ill-intent, and his response wasn't offered with malicious intent. Some ignorance perhaps (similar to what you said), that again, really should have been clarified on a following show, but even that response I think was the result of how the question was framed.

I suspect also, the person who wrote in was unfamiliar with the "Pete rant", and grossly misinterpreted the intent of what Pete had said to begin with. He was absolutely being serious, and wanted to hammer home the point he was making, but it was the venting of frustration (which in a sense, I think is fun for Pete, and entertaining for the listeners too) that taken--incorrectly-- as being "fear tactics". Those of us more familiar with DU know that Pete's intent was absolutely heartfelt caring and concern for visitors.

Though both Pete and Lou possibly came across in a way other than intended, I also don't believe either one meant any offense whatsoever to the other.

timnac, I wasn't "blasting" you at all. Honestly, I am appreciative that you posted what you did. I just wanted to add to it. I just wanted people to know, he's not some horrible monster or snarky podcaster with a blatant disregard for people's health & safety. I just don't think he had all the 411 about the original issue in question, like you said.

In that vein, maybe he should have looked into it a little more before responding, but at this point, it's water under the bridge.

I knew you weren't blasting me, just didn't want what I had said to go misunderstood. I absolutely agree, of course.

Lets make sure of one thing here. If you want to go parasailing, you DO NOT go into the lake. You start and end on the boat.

No need to worry about that.

so after all that................are there really alligators infesting the island? Is there really an amoeba that can eat your brain??:scared1:

Yes, Virginia, there IS a brain-eating amoeba.

Occasionally alligators are spotted, and large ones removed.

We have pictures on this site of poisonous snakes swimming the lakes.

Since the other Podcast knew the name of the podcast the emailer was referring to, I really thought he should have listened to that show or done a little research before replying to the question while laughing the whole time.
Yes, he might have been more reacting to the question itself, but the amoeba and alligators really are a safety issue and they do exsist. I've seen alligators myself. So I still think he should have added a serious note to be careful at the end, rather than acting like somehow nature doesn't effect Disney.

I listen to both podcasts, and while I really like Lou and enjoy his show, I too was surprised and disappointed with his reaction and somewhat mocking tone -- not very professional at all. I was happy to hear Pete indirectly give him a smackdown in this week's podcast. It won't stop me from listening to Lou's podcast, but I sure lost some respect for him.

This is exactly how I see it. The original question itself talked about bacteria (not amoebas), which was confusing to begin with and the question was way over-done, frightened children, etc. etc. The podcaster in question, Lou Mongello, is more than just "a decent enough guy", he's really truly an awesome guy, an author of two very popular Disney-related books, and a very good podcaster who manages to get interviews with amazing Disney related people. Lou's charity raised $20,000 in ONE day for The Make A Wish Foundation this past July. It's this team's dedication to him and his dream to make sure sick children get a chance to go to WDW that is truly awe-inspiring.

I honestly don't think he grasped the serious issue behind the question and if you want to fault him for that, fair enough. However, running him into the ground, deleting his podcasts forever, will not detract from the truly cool, decent, generous person that he is. I have met him several times and he has always been gracious and kind to me. I've never seen him be anything but gracious and kind to anyone he meets.

I love the DisUnplugged, but I also love his show. They are two different formats and each have their own place in the podcast community along with the dozen or more other podcasts out there.

Am I sticking up for him? Sure! But I would do the exact same for the DisUnplugged Crew if the shoe were on the other foot.

Bingo! I've met Lou and he is awesome. I love both podcasts.

Everyone can make a mistake. Look how EVERYBODY confused Newton County Missouri with Branson Missouri. The original "rumor" was that Disney was buying land in Newton County. (a mile from me) Then somehow the media and podcasts turned that into Branson which is in a different county and 2 hours from here. :confused3

I sent an email to Lou. I too was concerned about his tone. Mainly because if something did happen they would come back at him because of his Guarantee.

I got this responce.

Dale

Thank you for the email and feedback about the show.

Please let me explain.

With regard to the water issue, I in no way attempted to made blanket reference to the widespread problem of any bacteria statewide, and of course do not want to minimize the risks involved. However, if one was to follow Disney's instructions of not swimming in Bay Lake, etc., it became (in response to the listener's question), a non-issue.

I did not hear the actual podcast and was only responding to the question I was presented, and the listener's children's fears of being attacked by alligators if they went swimming (or participated in any other sports) in the water in Bay Lake (not in all of Florida and other places nationwide). The mention of bacteria was only in context of the beaches, and not the water itself, as the listener said the other show; "... reported as an Amoeba that activates in the sand when the temperatures rise. This whole podcast segment was chalk full of fear factor like news." I made a deliberate choice not to mention the podcast itself, as it certainly was not an attack on them, an individual, their information or show. I was trying to simply allay her and her children's concerns in response to her question.

I also specifically stated at the end of my response that for many years swimming has not been allowed at the Disney beaches due to fears of bacteria in the untreated water. My understanding is also that while swimming is absolutely not allowed in the lakes at WDW, (particularly in shallow areas by the beaches and in other lakes around property), deeper areas where water skiing and other activities take place are less of a concern than shoreline areas due to the lower water temperature in these areas.

I hope that you understand that I was simply trying to calm her fears of participating in activities like renting a boat, parasailing, etc. based on Disney's policies and practices. I want to be clear that I was in no way trying to poke fun at any other show, individual, or their information, nor at a more serious, widespread problem. I was simply asked to help negate her fears in WDW, which I had hoped to accomplish in a lighthearted way, in response to her similarly jovial inquiry about where "...Wally Gator can simply have lunch on their guests..."

Again, I want to stress (as I did on the show) that Disney does NOT allow swimming in Bay Lake, or any of the other lakes, etc. unless otherwise specified. There are numerous, well-documented examples of Guests suffering serious injury and loss of life as a result of not obeying these rules.

If the lighthearted tone of how I intended to answer her email came across other than how it was intended, I sincerely apologize.

Thank you again for listening, and for taking the time to write.

Have a great night.
--
Lou Mongello
Author of the Walt Disney World Trivia Books and the Audio Guide to WDW
Owner of DisneyWorldTrivia.com
Host of The WDW Radio Show – Awarded Best Travel Podcast 2007

Yes, Virginia, there IS a brain-eating amoeba.

Occasionally alligators are spotted, and large ones removed.

We have pictures on this site of poisonous snakes swimming the lakes.

I have definitely seen the alligators, and they do get quite large. Maybe I've seen the amoebas too - well, more accurately maybe they have seen me. After all, I cannot find my keys so I am stuck at home - hence me disboarding instead of doing chores! :rotfl2:

Thanks for posting Lou's reply! I always liked Lou and enjoyed his show. He seems like a genuine guy.

Man.

this horse sure has been beaten.

Anyone heard about the stroller price increase? :rotfl2:

Seems as though Lou's reply was more or less in line with what most of us (that are familiar with both show's) kind of figured. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter