Amish Country (Lancaster county, PA) recommendations?

When we go we always "get pff the beaten path" and take a drive out through the farm land. Last Sept. we were behind a 6 horse hitch. We found a wonderful craft store at someones farm and then we stopped at another farm where they had homemade hot pretzels. YUMMY!!! I'd love to have those again!!!

We stayed at the Old Mill Creek Campground right next to Dutch Wonderland and on the weekend an Amish couple came through with their buggy which was filled with the most wonderful baked goods. They did a great deal of business...we bought extra to bring home with us. The prices were amazingly low and the food was to die for. :)

I was just at the Dutch Apple for Footloose. Sound of Music is next. I didn't think of Sight and Sound and the Living Waters theaters. They are near Strasburg. There's also The Rainbow Dinner Theater in Paradise that does comedies. The American Music Theater is near the outlets.

Small world :laughing:! Perhaps we are at the same show, we attended Friday July 4th 6pm show?!?! :)

Footloose is one of my fave movies of all times, so really enjoyed the musical. :thumbsup2

We usually stay at the 'Fulton Steamboat Inn', simply love the quaint unique character! :goodvibes

I'll second the farmer's market in Lancaster. And there are some good outlet stores, if you're interested in shopping.

I took my parents there a few years back, and we stopped at the Amish Country Visitors Center (my mom insisted on doing it right). We bought a CD with a guided audio tour, and it was classic! The tour pointed out sights of interest, but the best was the ongoing story of "Levi and Fanny," the typical Amish couple.

We love the Strasburg Railroad and Millers too. My cousin just got back from the Dutch Apple Theater but I like the Sight and Sound and Living Waters better. My friends dd works on the backstage crew at Sight and Sound. The farmers markets are nice. My one cousin just likes to go exploring. His fondest moment was he stopped at a roadside stand where 2 amish children were selling horshoes that they had painted. He bought one of course and talked to them.

If you are there over a Saturday night, you can go to the Nissley Winery in Bainbridge, near Elizabethtown, for a lawn concert. You'll take a blanket or chairs/table, picnic food that doesn't need to be cooked on a grill and you'll buy a bottle of Nissley wine and listen to the concert while you snack on your picnic items.

This is something that my sister and BIL do several times per summer. Children under 21 are not allowed, so if you'll be with little ones, please forget what I've said. ;)

ETA, the website for Nissley is: http://www.nissleywine.com/lawn_concerts.htm

Buy some furniture or a quilt? Get stuck behind a horse-drawn carriage? Go have a drink?

I live around the Amish. There is (I am not making this up) a hitching post at the grocery store (and many other businesses, as well.)

Two of the restaurants are good (one is REALLY good), but the rest are (IMO) pretty crappy. Like every kind of specialized food, it is a little different.

People who come to visit generally come to stare and say, "Ooh, Amish people. Look at those plain clothes. Look, a horse!" They really are kind of rude about it. And you'll often hear quiet comments about how the teens are really wild and crazy when they aren't being watched. I think those folks think that it is a unique and clever thing to say. Idiots.

I know you wouldn't stare OR make rude comments!!!! I just don't know what else people do - that's all I ever see them doing. :confused3 And shopping for furniture/quilts. :)

I was there last week (Intercourse and Bird-in-Hand, PA) and we did not stare and make rude comments. We visited the Homestead and watched the movie "Jacob's choice". We also took the bus tour which stopped at the Amish shops and a winery where we sampled some wine (kids got juice).We took a buggy ride (Jessica and Aaron's). I couldn't imagine staring, taking pictures or making rude comments. I also didn't buy any quilts or furniture (but would have if I had more money). So not all tourists are idiots. We had a great time, this was the highlight of our trip (we also did Philadelphia and Hershey Park). I have always wanted to visit (and not stare) since reading Beverly Lewis' books.

We love Millers! We also enjoy going to the Sight and Sound theater. One time we took a nice bus tour through the Amish country. They explained the amish customs to us & took us to one house to learn about quilts. I think it was offered through Bird in Hand. A few years ago we took a ghost tour through Strasburg, it was interesting. Oh and there is always outlet shopping. :)

We are thinking about heading to the Steamboat Inn next month for a one night get-away for DH & I. Miller's is at the top of our list.:)

Pick up some Beverly Lewis books to really get yourself in the mood, for sure and for certain. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter