Amex Blue Cash Preferred 10% back for restaurants at Disney??

KozFam

Earning My Ears
Just opened an Amex Blue Cash Preferred (6% back for groceries, 3% back for gas) and the current perk for new cards is 10% back at U.S. Restaurants. My question is: anyone know if the 10% back would apply for Disney restaurants? I tried calling Amex and they don't know (i.e. they'd only know AFTER I made a purchase at a Disney restaurant and depending on how it "codes" on the charge - as a "restaurant" vs as a "WDW purchase" vs as a "hotel" purchase for restaurants inside the hotels, etc.). I'm trying to find out ahead of time, since it dictates whether I purchase discounted Disney gift cards to pay for food at Disney vs use my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card there. It doesn't help me to find out after the fact. Anyone have experience or insight with this?? Thanks in advance!

I don't think they code as restaurants. I think it codes as entertainment/theme parks or something similar.

I'm pretty sure they code as restaurants typically (unless you charge it to your room and then pay the bill) - but Amex might code them differently than the cards I use.

I misspoke. I gave information I was given on this board previously (https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...als-disney-restaurants.3527550/#post-56125239). I just checked my citi double cash statement for restaurants I visited in January (50s Prime Time, Grand Floridian Cafe, Boathouse) and all were categorized as restaurants. Purchases on my chase card don't list a category so I can't tell you how they were categorized. So, it may work on your Amex provided you don't charge to the room as pp said.

It will code as restaurant. Every time we go to Disneyland ALL our meals code as restaurant on my credit card (it gets 3% for dining so I pay attention). The only places that don't code as restaurant are stores that sell food like the Confectionery.

I am using my card to purchase Disney Gift Cards at Kroger to pay for my upcoming vacation. I will be 6% back.

Another question. We mostly buy gas at Sam's. I know it wouldn't qualify for the the 3% but would it qualify under the 1% other purchases?

Another question. We mostly buy gas at Sam's. I know it wouldn't qualify for the the 3% but would it qualify under the 1% other purchases?

It will probably quality for the 3%, but if not, anything else not in a defined category with a higher earning percentage will always get you the 1%.

When I buy Costco gas, I get my 2% on my Disney Visa categorized as "gas".

I misspoke. I gave information I was given on this board previously (https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...als-disney-restaurants.3527550/#post-56125239). I just checked my citi double cash statement for restaurants I visited in January (50s Prime Time, Grand Floridian Cafe, Boathouse) and all were categorized as restaurants. Purchases on my chase card don't list a category so I can't tell you how they were categorized. So, it may work on your Amex provided you don't charge to the room as pp said.

Thanks so much for checking!

I am using my card to purchase Disney Gift Cards at Kroger to pay for my upcoming vacation. I will be 6% back.
I bought Target gift cards at Hy-Vee (also has fuel perks) back in December when Target had their 10% off gift cards deal. I churned my 6% off Target GC into 10% off Target GCs and then into Disney GC the next day. I ended up saving 17% on my Disney GC along with another $4+ in fuel perks (another $45 in gas for my small tank car).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter