Americans Buying Passes in Canada

MauraAndIainsDad

Mouseketeer
I read on mousesavers.com that Americans can save money on passes by purchasing their passes in Canada and taking advantage of the favorable discount rates. Has anyone tried this? Can I also use my DC discount to save even more? (I'm new to DC - haven't received my cards yet, in fact.) I occasionally travel to Toronto and have friends there so it is an option worth exploring.

The prices on the passes are constantly being adjusted to reflect the present rate of exchange and so there's no deal border crossing. I check everytime I buy passes and for a family of 4 I might save $2 alltold either way at best.
Tori

The person who shared this tip with me said the savings were in the TAX, not so much the exchange rate. He claimed there is no tax (either Florida or Canadian) charged on passes sold in Canada. If this is true, you've saved 6% right there, because all Disney Stores in the US charge Florida tax of 6% on the passes. Probably not worth a special trip, but if you're a US resident who goes to Canada regularly, it might be worth checking out.

If his information is definitely incorrect, please let me know so I can update the site.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Thanks for the update y'all. Can I save in Canada using my DC discount? If I can save on taxes and save with my DC discount as well, then it might be a substantial savings. Of course, I wouldn't make a special trip to Canada but I do travel there occasionally and may be there before my trip in WDW in November. Again, I'm new to DC and am not quite sure yet how it works for getting passes. It's already saved me 20% on my room! Which more than covers the discounted cost of membership (thanks for that tip, Mary!) And thanks again, Mary for pointing me to Sue Pisaturo!:p

I just spoke with a very helpful CM at the Disney Store in Vancouver, BC. I forgot to ask her about the tax (duh) but I did learn that there is a Disney Club discount available on passes there! The Disney Club price she quoted on a 5-Day Adult Park Hopper Plus pass was $361.22 CDN (a discount of $18.45 CDN). That works out to $236.63 US at today's exchange rates. Best price I've seen in the US for this pass is $245.

If you want to call and ask about taxes, etc. I have a list of Canadian Disney Stores and their phone numbers. Let me know which city you're likely to visit and I'll post the info.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

On second thought, I'll just post the list!

Alberta
Chinook Centre Mall, Calgary (403) 640-2111
Kingsway Garden Mall, Edmonton (403) 477-5255
Southcentre Mall, Calgary (403) 278-8886

British Columbia
Eaton Centre Metrotown, Burnaby (604) 668-8125
Park Royal Shopping Centre, West Vancouver (604) 981-3025

Manitoba
St. Vital Center, Winnipeg (204) 982-9200

New Brunswick
Champlain Place, Dieppe (506) 384-1188

Nova Scotia
MicMac Mall, Dartmouth (902) 461-0195

Ontario
Fairview Mall, Toronto (North York) (416) 490-7972
Lime Ridge Mall, Hamilton (905) 574-5060
Rideau Centre, Ottawa (613) 569-5500
Scarborough Town Centre, Scarborough (416) 290-5800
Sheppard Avenue, Willowdale
Square One Shopping Centre, Mississauga (416) 949-5501
Toronto Eaton Centre, Toronto (416) 591-5132
Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto (North York) (416) 782-3061

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter