American Idol 2024

I really enjoyed the last girl that auditioned, Abi.
I think Lionel put a ton of pressure on her by calling her the best they had ever heard at AI.

And the Platinum Ticket on top of that.

She will be under the weight of a heavy microscope from here on out.

Emmy Russel did OK,but ther was ZERO chance the Judges were not going to send her to Hollywood-no way they were going to show Loretta Lynn's Granddaughter the door!

She could have sung the ABC song and still went through!lol

Last edited:

Some of the contestants last night who are going to Hollywood did not impress me. Usually I agree with the judges and it is clear after about 30 seconds of performing who can sign on key and actually has a good voice. A few I thought were not very good got voted through. As I recall in prior years, those getting a platinum ticket didn't end up doing so well in Hollywood, but not sure I have seen the actual statistics. Some aren't very versatile in terms of their musical abilities or don't handle the pressure of Hollywood week, even if they are good singers.

I still think it is a mistake to sing an original song the first time performing for the judges. The guy who played the piano to accompany someone else and wasn't even a contestant has a good voice, but sang a song he wrote which often works against you. It almost seemed like it was a setup by the show's producers and they had always planned to have him compete, but tried to make is seem spontaneous.

In terms of being objective, it would make more sense for any contestant who has a famous relative in the music business to NOT let the judges know that until after they have performed and made a decision. Particularly when your last name isn't the same, no one would make the connection to a former popular musician.

Telling any contestant after only hearing one song they are the best who has tried out seems a bit over the top to me. I also don't understand why they jumble all of the cities they are performing. I thought in the past each segment was from a particular city and then moved to the next location.

Last edited:
Some of the contestants last night who are going to Hollywood did not impress me. Usually I agree with the judges and it is clear after about 30 seconds of performing who can sign on key and actually has a good voice. A few I thought were not very good got voted through. As I recall in prior years, those getting a platinum ticket didn't end up doing so well in Hollywood, but not sure I have seen the actual statistics. Some aren't very versatile in terms of their musical abilities or don't handle the pressure of Hollywood week, even if they are good singers.

I still think it is a mistake to sing an original song the first time performing for the judges. The guy who played the piano to accompany someone else and wasn't even a contestant has a good voice, but sang a song he wrote which often works against you. It almost seemed like it was a setup by the show's producers and they had always planned to have him compete, but tried to make is seem spontaneous.

In terms of being objective, it would make more sense for any contestant who has a famous relative in the music business to NOT let the judges know that until after they have performed and made a decision. Particularly when your last name isn't the same, no one would make the connection to a former popular musician.

Telling any contestant after only hearing one song they are the best who has tried out seems a bit over the top to me. I also don't understand why they jumble all of the cities they are performing. I thought in the past each segment was from a particular city and then moved to the next location.
I agree that she shouldn't have told who she was related to, but if you looked at her closely, she did bear quite a resemblance to Loretta. I could tell they were family.

That guy Ziggy, man, that was way out there. He did have a good voice, but I don't see him going far. I thought it was supposed to be "American" Idol. They're tending to stretch what the rules of the show always were, IMO.

I agree about the platinum tickets, they usually make it pretty far and then disappear. But you never know.

They used to do one city and then move on. I don't care for this jumping around either.

I keep track of who's gone through as far as I can. And I make a list of who I like, who I think it is a maybe, and then the 'no's, and I cross them off when it's Hollywood week. I have a pretty good record for who makes it to top 16 and top 10,. We'll see if I'm close this year. I picked Iam from the first audition last year.

I don't know all of the contestant rules, but it seems like someone who was part of European Idol (or whatever they call it) should not also be able to audition here. There was a contestant last night who apparently did quite well on the European show, but is being allowed to start all over as a new contestant here.

I don't mind if someone auditions from another country, perhaps they don't have the show there or now live elsewhere. However, being able to apply to multiple versions of Idol doesn't seem fair to everyone else.

I really enjoyed the last girl that auditioned, Abi.

So did I, one of my favorites so far. I also liked Sam, the guy who wasn't even there to audition who got put through.

Yes, she's the only one I sat up for. The others have a story and some artifice. She really sang with openness from the heart. Having a song made for that helped. But, I didn't feel she was "performing" the way others who also had a good voice did. I think she deserved the Platinum card. Although, we saw last season how that bit a few in the butt, as they sat out and didn't have that extra opportunity to practice and work with an accompanist or get coaching, the way the Gold card contestants did.

I rolled my eyes when that one girl said she's singing "Summertime" by: Fantasia. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:She should listen to the Ella Fitzgerald version from Porgy and Bess or even the Billie Holliday version.

That guy Ziggy, man, that was way out there. He did have a good voice, but I don't see him going far. I thought it was supposed to be "American" Idol. They're tending to stretch what the rules of the show always were, IMO.

I think having him on is more about giving him and other people like him who are considered social misfits some affirmation and representation. They want to be able to watch AI and say, "There's someone like me on that show." 🥰 Lionel said it, "You've been trying to get people to like you and accept you your whole life. God gave you a gift. I want people in America and especially the Netherlands to know who you are. [...] You raised you. Now, we are going to raise you up."

Last edited:
Emmy Russel did OK,but ther was ZERO chance the Judges were not going to send her to Hollywood-no way they were going to show Loretta Lynn's Granddaughter the door!

She could have sung the ABC song and still went through!lol

I was so not impressed by her or her song. If she had not told them she was Loretta Lynn's daughter, I doubt they would have picked her. She is too mousy. She had a lot of growing to do. I'm not sure she's going to make the leap in the time she has on AI. The judges will have to be her surrogate parents instilling confidence in herself.

Remember last season? They gave two girls, who had similar confidence issues, the same chance. One was the stripper, and the other one ran off stage before her second or third song, packed her bags and left.

I don't know all of the contestant rules, but it seems like someone who was part of European Idol (or whatever they call it) should not also be able to audition here. There was a contestant last night who apparently did quite well on the European show, but is being allowed to start all over as a new contestant here.

I don't mind if someone auditions from another country, perhaps they don't have the show there or now live elsewhere. However, being able to apply to multiple versions of Idol doesn't seem fair to everyone else.
Last year they had Nutsa on, who was from the country of Georgia. Right in the rules it says contestants must live in the United States so I don’t understand why they allow people from other countries even try out, much less go through.

Last year they had Nutsa on, who was from the country of Georgia. Right in the rules it says contestants must live in the United States so I don’t understand why they allow people from other countries even try out, much less go through.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. If the rules say you must live in the US, is it just for a certain amount of time? That's the only way I could see them getting around it. America's Got Talent does the same thing. Half of the acts aren't from America.

Yeah, I don't understand that either. If the rules say you must live in the US, is it just for a certain amount of time? That's the only way I could see them getting around it. America's Got Talent does the same thing. Half of the acts aren't from America.

It probably says one must live in the U.S. for a certain period of time. And a contestant can always get a "roommate" who says yeah they lived with me for X amount of time. ;) There might also be a law in which they HAVE to let at least one or two in from elsewhere. Just like the Boy Scouts have to let a couple girls in, and "all women" health clubs have to allow men to join.

I'll bet live in the states means are you in the states now? And will you be in the US to go to Hollywood if you move on in the competition?
I don't see the show paying transport from Europe to Hollywood for ticket holding hopefuls. (Or back to Europe when eliminated.)
So they probably cover themselves with the live here requirement.

The ABC official websites indicates auditions are done for this year so couldn't easily find the official rules. I did find this from a couple of years ago on some other website, not sure if still true. Someone can be an American citizen and still live in another country.

1709062447516.png

Two more Internationals went through on Somewhat American Idol last night.:)

Luke's IV procedure was just bizarre.

Two more Internationals went through on Somewhat American Idol last night.:)

Luke's IV procedure was just bizarre.
lol that's a good name for it. The one from London did have a nice voice though. I think my favorite of the night was CJ, the guy who lives in the bus. I hope he goes far.

Me either. If they apparently get THOUSANDS to apply each year, somewhat surprising these are the best they could find. I think that was the girl who was a former contestant and showed up to support her friend who was not a very good singer. Seems like the judges select many for Hollywood who they know will likely get sent home after singing one song. Many of those moving on to Hollywood act like they just won the lottery and in reality that is no guarantee they will do well on the show or have a career in the music business.

I still am not crazy about most of the contestants. I thought what Rhagu or however you spell her name did was so wrong.
Yes,that was a joke.

She won't last long in Hollywood.

I blame Luke and Lionel for not telling her no way that you just show up with an auditioning friend and ask to go to Hollywood YOURSELF!

Katy was NOT happy!

Last edited:
Definitely a weak show last night.

The poor little 15 year old whimpering through her Teen angst was not a good audition although,of course,I felt sorry for her.

And the little sister speaking up for her big sister is the only reason they sent big sis to Hollywood IMO.

I think next week is the last show before Hollywood,so maybe they are saving the best for last!lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter