American Girl advice

kandazak

Earning My Ears
My little girl has finally learned of AG and all it's extras! Any advice on what you should or should not get? I am checking craigslist for used things, anywhere else I should check for good AG deals? Thanks!

I'm of no help, but I'm also wondering the same. And I'm curious as to the best "time" to buy. (Ie. now, later fall, close to Xmas, etc). I'd love to get these for DDs for Xmas.

Well I am by no means an expert but from what I know the dolls typically don't go on sale :/ You can score other items such as outfits on sale OR you can check out etsy/ebay for handmade outfits that are a lot more budget friendly! Our DD got hers when she was 4 and has done great with taking care of it and keeping the hair from getting knotted looking.

My little girl has finally learned of AG and all it's extras! Any advice on what you should or should not get? I am checking craigslist for used things, anywhere else I should check for good AG deals? Thanks!

I would suggest joining an AG board, specifically American Girl Playthings (AGPT). Like here, it's an excellent way to hear about discounts and talk to experienced AG people. Often I've gotten a good deal because someone has shared a public code or given a heads-up on a special sale. They know all about when to expect new releases and traditional free shipping times.

There is also a very active new and second-hand market that is a bit more realistic and detailed than eBay. It's free to register and use the MP.

My daughter has been active in AG since 2010 and I've found it a very valuable resource not only for purchasing but for care and repair too.

Hope this helps!

I have Molly and I saved all my own money to buy her, and i got her when i was 6 :) (i am kinda proud of that actually) I got outfits for birthday, christmas, and easter, plus my mom bought some of the 'fake' AG clothes from different places, and i think had some made for me. she also had some furnitre made by the advanced woodworkign students at the local high school

LOVE my Molly Doll!! Super Sad that they are retiring her at the end of the year

Another AGPlaythings board member here. The dolls typically do not go on sale. There is a benefit sale in Wisconsin where they sell the dolls that are refurbished returns and seconds at discounted prices. They also do a warehouse sale and have clothing, accessories, and a few larger furniture pieces at discounted prices.
Ebay is a gamble as many go to these sales and buy in bulk and resell at higher prices, also there is a secondary market of items coming out of China. You can get some good deals on Craigslist but ask lots of questions and do research on the item. I wouldn't buy a used doll that is currently available for more than $75, higher price if it has the meet outfit and accessories and great condition.

I'm of no help, but I'm also wondering the same. And I'm curious as to the best "time" to buy. (Ie. now, later fall, close to Xmas, etc). I'd love to get these for DDs for Xmas.

If you're looking on eBay, then you are coming into the worst time to buy. Prices for all those sorts of things skyrocket towards Christmastime.

I'll third the suggestion to check out AGPlaythings.

Absolutely never on sale. Sometimes some great dolls on eBay, but as mentioned it's coming into the difficult time to buy. AG gives great deadlines on their website to receive by Christmas!

Absolutely never on sale.

Actually that's not quite true. AG doesn't normally promote sales on dolls but last year, around christmas, I got a heads-up on AGPT about an offer on the Today Show for 2 dolls plus their accessories for $50 each. I bought them with a special link to the AG site. This deal was very unusual but it was the second time these particular dolls were discounted (-25% offer previously).

Again, AG dolls are not usually discounted, true, but it does happen.

I too got the Today show deal last year on Cecile and the canopy bed (DD already had Marie Grace). I would love if they had a similar deal this year but not holding my breath, since dolls typically do not go on sale. As for clothes, a great time to buy is when they are having sales, when they are trying to get rid of retired items to make room for new stuff, they mark them down considerably. Also if you are willing to be online at midnight central time on Cyber Monday they have deals, some years are great, others not so great but I always end up getting goodies for Christmas. My DD has lots of AG clothes but she also loves clothes from Targets Our Generation collection, the Springfield dolls collection at Michaels and matching clothes sets from Kohl's and Sears. As for furniture we have lots of stuff from Our Generation, it's just as cute but half the price of AG.

Good luck on getting into the world of American Girl, it is addicting, lol. It's the only thing my DD asks for now, with 14 AG girls, furniture, clothes and accessories, she's going to need a whole room just for her dolls soon, lol.

Actually that's not quite true. AG doesn't normally promote sales on dolls but last year, around christmas, I got a heads-up on AGPT about an offer on the Today Show for 2 dolls plus their accessories for $50 each. I bought them with a special link to the AG site. This deal was very unusual but it was the second time these particular dolls were discounted (-25% offer previously).

Again, AG dolls are not usually discounted, true, but it does happen.

I would agree that that there have been a few random sales on dolls. It is NOT the norm at all. I have 2 dd's who are very into AG dolls. My oldest, who is now 13, got her first AG doll at 7yo. My dd's now each have 6 AG dolls and many, many accessories. They have even bought a couple of dolls themselves and definitely bought many of the accessories with their own money. We've had the Target dolls and their is simply no comparison in the quality. The AG dolls are pricey but very well-made.

I've never joined an AG forum but maybe I should ;) I tend to shop in September or October when the free shipping code comes out. Sign up for AG emails to get that. I would agree with the others who say closer to Christmas is not a good time to shop AG. Our local store also runs promotions so check there if you have a store close by.

Wanted to add, that we also buy Target clothing, accessories and furniture...it is great! Just not the dolls ;)

A couple of times a year the AG website has sales and you can pick up outfits pretty cheaply. At Christmas time, you're lucky if you can get stuff in stock, forget a sale :)

I definitely recommend the clothes at Toys R Us and Target for the dolls, and Target has some great accessories too. Michael's also has a small section of clothes that fit the dolls as well. And at Christmas time, our mall has a kiosk that sells all sorts of outfits, they aren't as cheap as Target, but they have unique things.

I have bought several outfits for granddaughter at Michael's. I use the coupon that I get via email it in newspaper.

Sales on actual dolls are rare - Cecille and Grace seem to be the exception as they have been on sale twice that I remember. However, there is usually a free ship code that can save some money - I want to say that it usually happens around November, but ends before the cyber Monday sale starts.

Cyber Monday and other sales can be a great way to pick up authentic AG outfits for fairly low prices (I have purchased many outfits in the $12-14 range). The selection is totally random and you have to buy immediately b/c things sell out.

I think, if my girls were just starting out, I would buy them a doll with straight hair (easier to care for - curly & wavy haired dolls are gorgeous, but the hair can be hard to maintain).

Sales on actual dolls are rare - Cecille and Grace seem to be the exception as they have been on sale twice that I remember. However, there is usually a free ship code that can save some money - I want to say that it usually happens around November, but ends before the cyber Monday sale starts.

Cyber Monday and other sales can be a great way to pick up authentic AG outfits for fairly low prices (I have purchased many outfits in the $12-14 range). The selection is totally random and you have to buy immediately b/c things sell out.

I think, if my girls were just starting out, I would buy them a doll with straight hair (easier to care for - curly & wavy haired dolls are gorgeous, but the hair can be hard to maintain).

Awesome advice about the hair. Thanks for sharing!

Unfortunately, I don't think AG will deeply discount any dolls or accessories as they did last year on the Today Show. There has been a
lot of conversation that the sale "devalued" Marie Grace and Cecile.

The best way to get a good deal on Ebay is shop in July from newer sellers (i.e. inexperienced sellers). I have seen some dolls in great condition sell for less than $70 in July. Also, don't be afraid of a little restoration work. Fixing hair, restringing arms and legs and cleaning some scuffs require more patience than skill.

If you are the type to research what you purchase on Ebay, agplaythings and the American girl wiki http://americangirl.wikia.com/wiki/American_Girl_Wiki are the best resources.

Clothes and accessories can also run into big $$. Target's Our Generation line, Walmart's My Life, Toy's R Us Journey Girls and craft stores are great resources for clothes and furniture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter