America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn’t know you were a mod telling people what they can participate in.
How did you even ready that into his statement? You've made no secret of your disdain for Americans. Frankly, I couldn't care less how you feel....I'm just glad I live in the GREAT USA and no other country.

Dude, Putin has annexed great swathes of land and is proactively invading a sovereign state. He is bombing innocent civilians and is doing such a bad job of it that a hefty chunk of his OWN army are now DEAD. And let's not forget, Putin's jets are endangering American drones carrying our exercises against the Islamic State, just because. He is a ruthless aggressor and won't back down.
I’m not a dude to start. Ukraine is already destroyed. So what’s the end game. Our proxy war becomes a hot war? We’re not exactly innocent when it comes to killing civilians for our own benefit.
War is ugly. Unfortunately I’m not seeing any peace negotiations going on. Not on either side. Honestly you are probably right to be concerned.

I didn’t realise that optical, dental and mental health services weren’t provided by the state in Canada - it’s really interesting to learn about how our systems differ. In England mental health services are free at point of use, and though optical and dental are payable for most working age adults, they are heavily subsidised by the government.

Are there no private hospitals or doctors surgeries in Canada? A lot of Britons do go to private services for less serious health issues because of waiting lists so it is nice to have them available. Because free healthcare is available, private healthcare is priced quite competitively - I think I paid about $250 USD for a consultation with a dermatologist a few years ago.
No private hospitals but some specific areas of medicine are provided for fee/profit when not covered by public health care (see a more detailed response below). As mentioned, mental-health services are covered but the availability is woefully inadequate practically everywhere through public channels, due to a shortage of resources.
In the UK we now have three tiers of health care, so to speak:
  1. NHS - No fees, any procedure performed within reason, but may have a waiting time. I was lucky enough to be treated by the NHS in new and novel ways immediately, for example, rTMS sessions.
  2. Semi-Private - Call a premium rate number and speak to a professional one-to-one, no waiting times. Elementary advice only, prescriptions offered if needed. Immediate access.
  3. Private - Usually expensive but the quality of care is amongst the best and most innovative in the world and is immediate, within reason. Insurance makes it more affordable but you can book appointments as needed if preferred.
Almost no private care facilities here; with the exceptions I've mentioned and maybe a few more. It is meant to discourage a separate system that would perhaps be more lucrative for health-care professionals. Thus they might be drawn away from the public system, in which the delays/waits are in large part, due to the lack of human resources. There's a few different ways this can be argued; pro-and-con, but there it is.
All I said was I don’t think government should supplemented maternity leave. I have no idea where you live or how it works in your country. How much do you pay a month for your insurance?
It's a percentage of insurable (not gross) income, so it's a bit of a complicated formula that varies. Employers also match the amount.
Healthcare is run at a provincial level in Canada so services can vary.
Mental health is absolutely funded by the government system! Not always enough and we seem to be chronically underfunded but that’s another story.

No dental and optical not funded. Eye exams are free for under 18 and over 65 in my province. Probably similar in others.
Things like cataract surgery are free. But not corrective laser surgery usually.

They just started some kind of federal pediatric dental reimbursement program for lower income families. And there are couple low income dental clinics in the city here.
Many people have private insurance via work to pay for things like glasses, counseling, prescriptions.

It’s a mixed bag. No private hospitals in my province .
Yes, but like everything else, there are limits to the resources and with mental health/addictions services in particular, the need HUGELY outstrips the meaningful care available in a timely manner. These services are also some of the few that can be legally provided on a fee-for-service basis. One can access a psychiatrist, counseling or in-patient rehab services tomorrow if they have the cash or private insurance.

I live very close to Williamsburg, VA. The Fife and Drum presentation is always my favorite.
I was just there this past weekend for the fourth. The Alumni Corps was there since they're celebrating the 65th anniversary of the corps. I was luck and got there in time to see the Alumni Corps as well as the Junior and Senior Corps. You might be interested in this:
It's video I took of the three corps massed playing Chester and Yankee Doodle.

No private hospitals but some specific areas of medicine are provided for fee/profit when not covered by public health care (see a more detailed response below). As mentioned, mental-health services are covered but the availability is woefully inadequate practically everywhere through public channels, due to a shortage of resources.

Almost no private care facilities here; with the exceptions I've mentioned and maybe a few more. It is meant to discourage a separate system that would perhaps be more lucrative for health-care professionals. Thus they might be drawn away from the public system, in which the delays/waits are in large part, due to the lack of human resources. There's a few different ways this can be argued; pro-and-con, but there it is.

It's a percentage of insurable (not gross) income, so it's a bit of a complicated formula that varies. Employers also match the amount.

Yes, but like everything else, there are limits to the resources and with mental health/addictions services in particular, the need HUGELY outstrips the meaningful care available in a timely manner. These services are also some of the few that can be legally provided on a fee-for-service basis. One can access a psychiatrist, counseling or in-patient rehab services tomorrow if they have the cash or private insurance.
Absolutely we need more mental health beds.

People need to separate America from its government. America as a people are great. If America wasn’t a great country then everyone in the world wouldn’t be trying to come here. And imo the whole thing going on now with the liberals vs the conservatives and racial animosity and everything else is a divide and conquer tactic by the rich elite and foreign enemies. Everyone needs to come together and take the country back from the corrupt government and their corporate overlords. Both parties are guilty of this. America hasn’t been so divided since the civil war and it’s scary.
I think a lot of women in the US would say we have less freedom than ever in this country right now.
lol yeah ok. Go to Iran sometime and see how unfree women are here. And you seem to be uneducated on the abortion issue. The court ruled it was up to the states to make laws about abortion, as roe v wade was an unconstitutional judicial overreach in the first place. They didn’t make it illegal they sent it to the states. Don’t like your states law? Move. What other rights do women not have?

Like a 401k for healthcare? We have health savings accounts that are pre-tax. I'm not sure all the rules on that. We pay 400 a month for our healthcare through my husband's employer. That covers the four of us.

There are deductibles and an out-of-pocket max of 3k. I don't go to the doctor very often, but I have a stress fx in my knee and I've had two MRIs in the last 4 months that were covered 100%, but the X-rays were only covered 50%... go figure. The doctor's office Co-pays are 30 dollars. Mental health is covered 100%. I think we have pretty good insurance, but my DH works for a major corporation with good benefits.

If you make below a certain income in our state you qualify for insurance through the state which is pretty good insurance it covers most things. It's the middle class that works for a small company or the self-employed that have it rough.

Like a 401k for healthcare? We have health savings accounts that are pre-tax. I'm not sure all the rules on that. We pay 400 a month for our healthcare through my husband's employer. That covers the four of us.

There are deductibles and an out-of-pocket max of 3k. I don't go to the doctor very often, but I have a stress fx in my knee and I've had two MRIs in the last 4 months that were covered 100%, but the X-rays were only covered 50%... go figure. The doctor's office Co-pays are 30 dollars. Mental health is covered 100%. I think we have pretty good insurance, but my DH works for a major corporation with good benefits.

If you make below a certain income in our state you qualify for insurance through the state which is pretty good insurance it covers most things. It's the middle class that works for a small company or the self-employed that have it rough.
No, not like that. It's more like your unemployment payments, if your state has them. It is not an individual savings fund. It's a mandatory contribution to a federal program. Our Employment Insurance premiums cover various types of income disruption situations; layoff, termination (under most circumstances) and inability to work due to childbirth/adoption needs or disability. It has nothing to do with our actual health care. Major medical care is provided nation-wide through our public provincial health plans. I will NOT use the word free; public health care is funded through income tax. Some services are not covered in this way and must be paid OOP or through supplemental insurance that can be purchased individually or is more commonly provided as part of a person's employment benefits package.

People need to separate America from its government. America as a people are great. If America wasn’t a great country then everyone in the world wouldn’t be trying to come here. And imo the whole thing going on now with the liberals vs the conservatives and racial animosity and everything else is a divide and conquer tactic by the rich elite and foreign enemies. Everyone needs to come together and take the country back from the corrupt government and their corporate overlords. Both parties are guilty of this. America hasn’t been so divided since the civil war and it’s scary.

lol yeah ok. Go to Iran sometime and see how unfree women are here. And you seem to be uneducated on the abortion issue. The court ruled it was up to the states to make laws about abortion, as roe v wade was an unconstitutional judicial overreach in the first place. They didn’t make it illegal they sent it to the states. Don’t like your states law? Move. What other rights do women not have?
Lol. Yes everyone in the world is trying to get there.

No, not like that. It's more like your unemployment payments, if your state has them. It is not an individual savings fund. It's a mandatory contribution to a federal program. Our Employment Insurance premiums cover various types of income disruption situations; layoff, termination (under most circumstances) and inability to work due to childbirth/adoption needs or disability. It has nothing to do with our actual health care. Major medical care is provided nation-wide through our public provincial health plans. I will NOT use the word free; public health care is funded through income tax. Some services are not covered in this way and must be paid OOP or through supplemental insurance that can be purchased individually or is more commonly provided as part of a person's employment benefits package.
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds complicated, but I think I sort of get it.

It's funny I've talked to people from Canada that think if you don't have insurance we just let you die in the streets. It is totally not the case. Everyone that walks into an emergency room gets treated and everyone gets treated equally. Those of us that have insurance pay more to cover those that don't . Nothing is perfect.

I think the US has bigger economic issues than healthcare at this point in time. It's way down my list of things to worry about.

@CdnCarrie I do want to say that I do value your input as I do with all Disboarders. We may disagree with some of our opinions but understanding other view points is one way to gain personal growth. It's clear you have a passion for certain issues (there's nothing wrong with that). Over the past couple years I have grown in my viewpoints because of the great threads that allow for debate to occur. I admit some of my comments may sound boastful (though it's not meant to be), I'm just proud of some of the things my county does and recognizing it's problems as well. You clearly do as well. One thing my American/Canadian thread (small selfish shout out) has taught me is Americans are more individualistic and capitalistic driven vs Canadians are more community and society driven. That is a major difference in our cultures and in turn affects how we see government and our laws. I believe you are telling the truth about you not hating America. I do also appreciate @ronandannette clarifying some of the specific topics you brought up in regards to Canadian policies. I do take a little offense that you think we don't care about women though. Yes, there are clearly things we are still working out here. But as a nation, we grow every decade by overcoming our problems and always in the end come together with a viable solution. We are a stubborn society to be sure, but we deeply care about all who live here. And I don't mind debates or even friendly banter between out two countries. @prairie_girl and I often banter about our two nations but we still have great respect for each other's county and for each other. No county is sinless but I do think some in all countries focus more on the past (which is different than acknowledgement of the problematic issues of the past) than on the bright future our countries have going forward. America to me is not the center of the world. America (IMO) is forced to be in the center of world's issues because other countries rely on us to do so in order for the free world to remain so. The majority of us honestly would probably prefer to be isolationist in regards to global affairs (as we intended to be with the first ever presidential administration), but realistically we step up when the world needs us to, even when the world tries to ignore that reality. I don't think our country is more special than yours in general. My previous post about standing basically was meant to say we as a superpower deal with certain issues that other countries (like Canada) do not have enough influence in the world to be the difference maker. And that is fine. We are the leader of the free world (as many world leaders continue to state) and I'm happy Canada is on our team and a contributing teammate. When the US president makes a statement, the world closely watches. If Canada's PM says something, the world mostly shrugs it's shoulders. I'm not trying to disparage Canada in any way. I just want to clarify what I mean on our respective countries standing in the word. This isn't me gloating, I just believe this to be true. I look forward to hearing your viewpoints. 🙂

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds complicated, but I think I sort of get it.
:flower3: The whole tangent got started with me trying to respond to the idea that governments just give people money for maternity, or more accurately, parental leave. In Canada, they don't - not directly, although I understand some European and Scandinavian countries do that. Honestly though, I don't think it would be a terrible use of tax dollars to incentivize people to have children. Birthrates here are below replacement and that is NOT good for any country long-term, either economically or socially.

Well, statistically we have more people applying for asylum and immigration than Canada, I believe.
One of the reasons is because you are the first safe haven from war torn countries in Central America.
And you do get huge amount of immigrants and refugees as do other countries. Many people do want to come to America of course but not all.
Don’t you see it’s this “all or nothing statements” that are what’s off putting? Give me that Buzz.

It's funny I've talked to people from Canada that think if you don't have insurance we just let you die in the streets. It is totally not the case. Everyone that walks into an emergency room gets treated and everyone gets treated equally. Those of us that have insurance pay more to cover those that don't . Nothing is perfect.

I think the US has bigger economic issues than healthcare at this point in time. It's way down my list of things to worry about.
That is only true if you don't have assets. If you have money or possessions the hospital will chase you to pay that bill. If you can only pay a portion? They'll take that and you can declare bankruptcy to get out of the rest.

Medical expenses are the leading cause of filing bankruptcy in the US. It's a major economic issue IMO.

(I'm also not a fan of the employer provided health insurance model as it stifles innovation and puts additional strain on people who get laid off... but that is a different discussion)

Last edited:
One of the reasons is because you are the first safe haven from war torn countries in Central America.
And you do get huge amount of immigrants and refugees as do other countries. Many people do want to come to America of course but not all.
Don’t you see it’s this “all or nothing statements” that are what’s off putting? Give me that Buzz.
I do. I would have thought my above statement would have made that clear. 🙂

Birthrates here are below replacement and that is NOT good for any country long-term, either economically or socially.
Buzz's (probably not practical) solution: Americans and Canadians should have a dating website that exclusively pairs up dates from the other country (example American man gets paired up with Canadian woman with similar interests). This increases the chance of marriage and both our countries benefit from a potential baby boom. 👶

Honest question: you're 80yo. You have a hypertensive crisis. You have no means of paying for medical intervention. In such a case, will the State foot the bill? What about if you're 30yo, but for various reasons unable to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter