Amazon Gift Card Theft.....Could Use Advice UPDATE PAGE 4

You missed the point of knowing vs not knowing the neighbor. My point is that if its a neighbor you do not know, you do not know what they are capable of so the risk of retaliation could be higher. If its a neighbor that you do know, you know what you're dealing with and may be less inclined to be worried about retaliation. But either way, you are right that my opinion was (and is) that I would not call the police over $100. My tune has not changed, so not sure what you were getting at.
Okie dokie.

I wouldn't be surprised if USPS has this covered in their deal with Amazon. Priority Mail includes up to $50 insurance but anything additional has to be opted and paid for. I have to think Amazon would prefer to self insure stuff like this.

I’d hope that this is the case - in which case I don’t see why the customer loses out on $100 because of something that was not their fault. Unless there is a term in Amazon’s Ts and Cs that states that they aren’t responsible for missing gift cards, I would be pursuing it further with them.

I was shocked by this too. It wouldn't have been any problem if the gift card wouldn't have been used. Amazon would have cancelled the first one and issued me a new one. It became a huge problem when someone used the gift card....That's when it became mail fraud and theft. I'm hoping I hear something tomorrow from the sheriff.

Surely then Amazon should issue you with another gift card and take up the missing card with your neighbour directly? Obviously I don’t know how things work in the US, but if you’ve paid by credit card, you may be afforded some protection? I’d certainly be contacting my credit card company and getting a refund, as they haven’t fulfilled their end of the contract.

At my local post office, there is a big, hand lettered sign hanging behind the cashiers that says “No insurance on packages containing cash or gift cards”.

That’s very interesting to know. Surely then Amazon should ship with a carrier that does cover gift cards, or make allowances for the risk and refund customers. It really doesn’t seem fair that the OP is out of $100 regardless!

Mystery is solved! I have tell you, we have a fantastic sheriff department here. Here's the story.....

The USPS had a GPS on where my gift card was delivered. It was either at an older lady's house or a small business across the road. The post office went to the small business and asked them if they received it, and they said no, so the post master thought it must have been delivered to the older lady's home. When I filed the police report, the sheriff went to the older lady's home and quickly decided it wasn't her. The sheriff went back to the small business and asked them if they knew anything about my gift card. At that time, the owner said, "Are you talking about an Amazon gift card? Yes, I got one in the mail. I thought my wife ordered it, and I used it". The sheriff asked him if he noticed the balloon card or the fact that it said "Happy Birthday" on the card. The guy didn't have a response to that. The sheriff contacted me and asked if I wanted to press charges, and I said no, I just want my money back, which he got and delivered back to me. So, all is done and I have my money back. I'm still not sure why that guy thought he could just use it without getting caught. This is definitely a crime that is easily traceable. But, I'm so happy that this is done and over. I learned two things through this - 1) There is NO protection when ordering gift cards in the mail, and 2) I should have contacted Amazon and cancelled that card the SECOND it wasn't in my mailbox. Amazon said the card was used quickly, but they didn't say how fast. I'm just glad all this is over!

Mystery is solved! I have tell you, we have a fantastic sheriff department here. Here's the story.....

The USPS had a GPS on where my gift card was delivered. It was either at an older lady's house or a small business across the road. The post office went to the small business and asked them if they received it, and they said no, so the post master thought it must have been delivered to the older lady's home. When I filed the police report, the sheriff went to the older lady's home and quickly decided it wasn't her. The sheriff went back to the small business and asked them if they knew anything about my gift card. At that time, the owner said, "Are you talking about an Amazon gift card? Yes, I got one in the mail. I thought my wife ordered it, and I used it". The sheriff asked him if he noticed the balloon card or the fact that it said "Happy Birthday" on the card. The guy didn't have a response to that. The sheriff contacted me and asked if I wanted to press charges, and I said no, I just want my money back, which he got and delivered back to me. So, all is done and I have my money back. I'm still not sure why that guy thought he could just use it without getting caught. This is definitely a crime that is easily traceable. But, I'm so happy that this is done and over. I learned two things through this - 1) There is NO protection when ordering gift cards in the mail, and 2) I should have contacted Amazon and cancelled that card the SECOND it wasn't in my mailbox. Amazon said the card was used quickly, but they didn't say how fast. I'm just glad all this is over!

So he USED the Amazon gift card without thanking his wife first? I call baloney. Nice lie to stay out of jail.

OP I'm so happy you got your money back AND you know what happened.

I agree with a PP sounds like this guy was just making it up as he goes. Maybe there's no ultimate punishment this time but I hope that guy felt the burn and will think twice about doing it again. It was a crime of opportunity that this gift card got incorrectly delivered to him and hopefully if something like this should ever happen again the guy decides not to do it.

Interesting that when the Post Office asked he knew nothing about the card but when the sheriff asked he admitted to it.

Glad you got your $$ back.

Glad it got resolved and you got your money back. What a fool that guy is. Totally lying IMO. He had to have known it was not for him, first of all, the name and address on the envelope were not his name and address (most people inspect these things when a surprise item is delivered to them), the card it came in did not have his name on it, and wouldn't you think he would say something to his wife about it? I hate people who try to get away with things they know are wrong.

I know one small business I would not be frequenting and telling my friends and family that the owner is shady.....

Glad you got your money back. For all the trouble that this guy put the postal service and Sherriff's office through, he should be charged.

This kind of reminds me of something that happened to a former coworker. She went to get her hair done and paid by check. The stylist called her and said, I'm so sorry, but I lost the check, please put a stop on the check. Only problem was the check was cashed. The bank provided a copy that showed the check was stamped by a local Chinese restaurant. The stylist had accidently handed it over with the cash she paid for her lunch with. My coworker went to the restaurant with the evidence in hand and explained what was going on to the owner. The owner flat out refused to return the money and was extremely rude and insulting about it. My coworker was so irritated by the owner's behavior she went right over to the small town police station and explained the situation. They sent a police officer back to the restaurant with her and the owner was told, give the money back or we'll pursue charges. The owner refused, but had a change of heart the next day and brought the money into the police station for my coworker to pick up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter