• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amazing Flights of Passage

I agree it is an excellent ride so the few negatives I mention below don't take away enough to greatly diminish my overall enjoyment. However, they are areas that, if improved, would make my experience at least a little better:
1) The pre-ride 'story' and Avatar matching process takes too long. Even the first time I rode this ride I just felt like it dragged on way too long. Each subsequent time we ride FOP I feel even more annoyed by it. I get the need for it and I appreciate this concept in other rides. But this one just takes too long for me to appreciate anymore. I wish they'd trim it down at least a minute or two.
2) The glasses, like every other pair of 3-D glasses I've ever used (including in my own home theater), are a bit obtrusive and pull me from being *completely* immersed in the ride.

Like I said, these aren't deal breakers. But if they could be improved upon I would enjoy the ride more. But as it is, it's still an exhilarating experience and one I would recommend to everyone.

For an 8am opening, EMH or not, I'd suggest being there at 6:45. Usually by 7:45, they have already opened the park and there will be soo many ahead of you, as you learned. So get there at 6:45, fast walk it to FOP with the mass of people. You should be off FOP by 8:00-8:15 and have your choice of whichever zero wait attraction to head to next (NRJ, Safari, EE).
Thanks. I could have sworn on the day we were there for EMH that they didn’t start letting people tap in until shortly before 8....but maybe I wasn’t paying as much attention as I thought I was!

I don’t get the love. It was alright. When Soarin first came out I loved it. I was blown away by it. This not so much. I hate the ride vehicle and getting trapped by the leg restraints. It gives me anxiety. We rode it twice because my kids did love it. I personally think both Harry Potter rides blow this one away easily.

I thought I read that you don't feel the leg restraint at all as long as you keep your legs a certain way. Is there a trick to that? I also read to sit all the way back when they do the back restraint.

I get the same "trapped" anxiety on different rides. I never had this issue until one time on Space Mountain at Disneyland. The ride stopped and the CMs took 10 minutes or so to come to us. No announcement at all. I had a young baby at home and it just caused me to stress out and panic. This was over five years ago, and I'm much better now. Generally as long as the lap bar is not super tight (I generally push up as the CM pushes down to give me the space to feel like I can get out if I wanted to) I can breathe through it and as long as there is not a long delay I'm fine, but a ride like Rock N Roller Coaster with the neck type restraint is a non starter. I really want to try FOP, and I realize there will be some lull before the ride starts where I might start to panic as they get everyone situated. How bad is it going to be?

I rode it for the first time in May and I couldn't stop laughing!! I think I was nervous because I had never been on anything like that before! It was amazing I can't wait to go on again!

I also get motion sick easily, i.e. I usually feel nauseous after Star Tours, but felt fine on FOP

Just back from a quick trip, and was once more completely blown away by FoP; hands down my favorite ride from any park.

I thought I read that you don't feel the leg restraint at all as long as you keep your legs a certain way. Is there a trick to that? I also read to sit all the way back when they do the back restraint.

It depends on your build and your leg position for the leg restraints. They fan out behind your calves. As for the back restraint, it again depends on build; if you have enough room you can push back slightly and let the back restraint lock and then you'll have a bit of room in the belly/chest area.

I really want to try FOP, and I realize there will be some lull before the ride starts where I might start to panic as they get everyone situated. How bad is it going to be?

It depends on how long it takes for everyone to load (and that is not knowable as you can never tell how many guests are going to have issues getting locked in). Sometimes it's quick, sometimes you do have to sit for a while. There is also some graphics being displayed on your console on your ride vehicle. If you can concentrate on that and practice mindfulness and breathing properly it would help. If you have any doubt, you could maybe have someone that knows you really well ride first and then tell you (just keep in mind the timing will be different because there will be different guests loading).

I get the same "trapped" anxiety on different rides. I never had this issue until one time on Space Mountain at Disneyland. The ride stopped and the CMs took 10 minutes or so to come to us. No announcement at all. I had a young baby at home and it just caused me to stress out and panic. This was over five years ago, and I'm much better now. Generally as long as the lap bar is not super tight (I generally push up as the CM pushes down to give me the space to feel like I can get out if I wanted to) I can breathe through it and as long as there is not a long delay I'm fine, but a ride like Rock N Roller Coaster with the neck type restraint is a non starter. I really want to try FOP, and I realize there will be some lull before the ride starts where I might start to panic as they get everyone situated. How bad is it going to be?

My DH has the anxiety on over the shoulder rides. Mostly from getting stuck on HP Forbidden Journey. I was on the same ride, but those types of restraints don’t bother me. For some reason the leg restraint just really did. I had no idea what FOP was before we rode it. I even watched a YouTube video before hand and totally missed that it was a simulator so I had no idea what to expect. Going in the second time I was a little better since I knew it was happening. I did also try to make the back not as tight the 2nd time. I think if you know it is going to happen, you should be fine. Once you are locked in the ride starts pretty quickly.

I found a you tube video of the pre-show that showed the restraints in more detail. I'm going to go for it and breathe though it. It looks like it should be roomy enough not to bother me, but it's worth trying.

I agree it is an excellent ride so the few negatives I mention below don't take away enough to greatly diminish my overall enjoyment. However, they are areas that, if improved, would make my experience at least a little better:
1) The pre-ride 'story' and Avatar matching process takes too long. Even the first time I rode this ride I just felt like it dragged on way too long. Each subsequent time we ride FOP I feel even more annoyed by it. I get the need for it and I appreciate this concept in other rides. But this one just takes too long for me to appreciate anymore. I wish they'd trim it down at least a minute or two.
2) The glasses, like every other pair of 3-D glasses I've ever used (including in my own home theater), are a bit obtrusive and pull me from being *completely* immersed in the ride.

Like I said, these aren't deal breakers. But if they could be improved upon I would enjoy the ride more. But as it is, it's still an exhilarating experience and one I would recommend to everyone.

I get what you are saying about the preshows but they are mostly there to get you out of the line while still making you wait to ride. If they cut it shorter, you would just be waiting back in line outside the rooms longer.

Just curious when the last time you rode was. They changed the glasses around February or March or so and the new ones are sooo much better!

Ok this was by far my fav ride ever!
I am ride chicken and I almost rode EE after that’s how amazing I felt after!( forgive me if I posted this already!)

When u sit down they say put feet all the way forward.
Leave a solid 2 inches and u will be fine to not feel locked in. Honestly if u are scared close ur eyes. You will feel your “banshee” shift but you are not actually moving!

If you can do soarin and star tours no worries IMO star tours is much jerkier.
Kerri

EDIT forgot my point! Went to EMH just for this ride again. Arrived AK 7:20 gates opened 7:30. Mad dash... I’m no slacker. Line said 50 min when we got there. Which was after 7:30. We were off ride by 8:15. Rushed to NAvi... amazing!!
Then went to safari which we arrived before 9 am when they open.
Worth the park open people
Kerri

I get what you are saying about the preshows but they are mostly there to get you out of the line while still making you wait to ride. If they cut it shorter, you would just be waiting back in line outside the rooms longer.

I understand that’s likely the case. But I’d rather stand in the line and be able to chat with my family freely (doing so in the chamber would be rude to other guests who actually care about the video/avatar syncing).

Just curious when the last time you rode was. They changed the glasses around February or March or so and the new ones are sooo much better!

Mid-March.

Yes, last week they were much, much better than last year (where they always felt like they could fall off, to the point where part of my family kept a hand on them)

Yes, last week they were much, much better than last year (where they always felt like they could fall off, to the point where part of my family kept a hand on them)

Our glasses a few weeks ago seemed to be just fine. No falling off.

I finally did it!:)

Was worried about motion sickness,but made it fine.

The 2 things that made it "doable" were the cool air blowing on me and the couple of times that the Banshee stopped for a moment-that gave me a little "break" from the "motion".:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter