• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Amazed and Disappointed

I don't think that's fair.

I accept that if Disney doesn't correct their July mistake, my Aug trip this year will not be as enjoyable in some respects because of how we like to tour. Period.

I accept it. Do I have to like it or just stop talking about it on a discussion board? I hope not.

Are you suggesting that my only alternative is to cancel my Aug trip -- the trip that as a DVC member I planned 11 mos. ago based on how Disney has extended hours every year for years now? I shouldn't discuss it here?

It's not that simple. We are smart enough to ACCEPT it -- we can still DISCUSS 1) why they might have done this, 2) whether they'll correct this, 3) how/if/where we should provide feedback on it, etc. ... on a discussion board.

ETA: I'm on here in order to help set my and my family's expectations for next month -- precisely because we ARE determined to have an awesome trip. The more prepared we are for what we might face the better. This thread can be helpful that way.
I just feel people are getting too upset about this. That may be just how it's coming across in the posts.

Times the parks close don't bother me that much. I go and have fun and work around those times.

Disney park hours change all the time and I can't do anything about it.

That's just the way I see it.

Usually in the summer there are longer night hours at the parks. This year there are none. (With the exception of the Pandora section of AK being open.) Some people are saying that exiting MK has been a nightmare and transportation has been a mess. I personally didn't have problems with the transportation (not saying that it wasn't an issue for others), but I HATE that I had nothing to do after 10:00 every night. (My touring style has always included the late night stuff.)

If you go on July 30th and don't mind the heat and sun, there will be no issue with you doing the parks during the day:)

Oh, I'm no stranger to July/August vacations! Been going to WDW during the summer since 2010 now, I just wasn't grasping what was going on in this thread. I agree with you- my touring style has been dependent on 2 AM EMH for years now. I'm a little frustrated, but I'm determined to make this work since we have some great ADRs and FP+.

I don't think that's fair.

I accept that if Disney doesn't correct their July mistake, my Aug trip this year will not be as enjoyable in some respects because of how we like to tour. Period.

I accept it. Do I have to like it or just stop talking about it on a discussion board? I hope not.

Are you suggesting that my only alternative is to cancel my Aug trip -- the trip that as a DVC member I planned 11 mos. ago based on how Disney has extended hours every year for years now? I shouldn't discuss it here?

It's not that simple. We are smart enough to ACCEPT it -- we can still DISCUSS 1) why they might have done this, 2) whether they'll correct this, 3) how/if/where we should provide feedback on it, etc. ... on a discussion board.

ETA: I'm on here in order to help set my and my family's expectations for next month -- precisely because we ARE determined to have an awesome trip. The more prepared we are for what we might face the better. This thread can be helpful that way.

Wish I could like this more than once!

If you're not going to have fun on your upcoming trip why go then? Honest question.

Vote with your wallet and not go then in August and take some time off from WDW. Nothing wrong with that. Just don't understand why have such a negative outlook on your upcoming trip that you haven't even had yet and yet still go. What's more important to you-potentially losing the money already spent on the trip or going on a trip that you look forward to and anticipate having a good time on?

Why go, its all already paid for unfortunately and no way to get the money back.

I just feel people are getting too upset about this. That may be just how it's coming across in the posts.

Times the parks close don't bother me that much. I go and have fun and work around those times.

Disney park hours change all the time and I can't do anything about it.

That's just the way I see it.
I get that.

Just keep in mind this: "Times the parks close don't bother me that much."

This is not a topic you could EVER get worked up about, and that makes you lucky on this one!! :) Depending on touring styles and many other things, park hours might be REALLY IMPORTANT to some.

This is all subjective. I don't think people are thinking they can magically change this by complaining here. I think the goals are different (helping future planning, finding out where to give feedback, venting, etc.) -- and I think those are all valid on a discussion board. :thumbsup2

I think most posters who are disappointed like me are upset that our years of summer trips (see my signature...95% of those in summer) now have to change. For example we rd them swim and chill at resort all afternoon then dinner and evening in parks. I've had to try and change our dinners for earlier times which cuts into pool/resort time. And when you've gone every summer for a very long time it really does impact your trip. Just checked crowd level at MK for yesterday. It turned out to be a 7. That seems high for a 10 pm close.

Exactly my issue. We don't ropedrop unless you count being at the pool when it opens as rope drop for the pool :) But we do that and then go to the parks in the afternoon. None of that works out if the park is closing too early even if I could shift dinners and fast passes around a bit. Then there is no point to staying at the beach club. Might as well stay at a value resort which I think we will be doing from now on if the kids aren't going to get to go in the pool.

Why go, its all already paid for unfortunately and no way to get the money back.
I get that could have been it which is why I asked. Hopefully there is something that can be the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak so you're not letting it get you down on your actual trip.

My husband and I were at Disney July 9th-12th. We did not have a problem with the shortened hours until we got to Magic Kingdom on the 12th. We really really wanted longer hours, but in the end we were able to do what we wanted to with FP's and the lower crowds. The parks were really manageable. Even Epcot EMH's from 9-11 (which I was thinking was going to be a nightmare from past experiences) was completely do-able. Test Track was 20 minutes...Soarin was practically a walk on. Frozen was still about 40 minutes. Then we got to Magic Kingdom on the 12th. This was a day Magic Kingdom was open until 10, but had EMH's until 12. The lines were longer than the time I was there the day before New Years Eve. We waited 35 minutes to use our Space Mountain FP while the stand-by line hit 200 minutes. We had never been so thankful to have a sit down at Liberty Tree. We took our time eating our lunch, used our FP's, and got the heck out of there. We're lucky though that we have annual passes and know we'll be back. The shortened hours create that scenario. I kept checking MDE to see if they extended the hours and they never were. I've been there in the Fall during days when it has seemed less busy and they extended the hours. I didn't get why this didn't justify an extension.

We went in June, and felt like we were misled. We thought all of Animal Kingdom was going to be open till 1a and have "Magic Hours" since we booked a resort room. Our first day/night there we arrived late and decided to go to Animal Kingdom to be quite disappointed to find out it was only Pandora land. Not much you can do with young children. We've been going to Disney the past 5 years and I feel like they are just taking away more and more hours. We are not rope drop people. I know we aren't the only people who have trouble waking up kids and getting them ready (plus we are central time zone, so that throws us off an hour). We prefer the night hours so much more without the sun. We always seem to get to ride so much more too when the parks stay open later. We just aren't morning people.

I just checked MDE and MK hours say 9-11 today. Is that what it was originally set to be or did they extend??

I just checked MDE and MK hours say 9-11 today. Is that what it was originally set to be or did they extend??

I'm pretty sure they've added 1 hour to the next three days. Hopefully they are realizing that 10 PM is too early in the summer and will continue adding hours through August. I will be there August 14-23 and was really looking forward to some late nights in MK as we've had in other years. My family prefers to sleep a little late and spend the afternoon in the pool so later hours really add to the fun of our vacation.

I don't think it's that big of deal if you rope drop. It was open until midnight one day I was there, and I was pretty exhausted the next day. The only thing I really liked was the fact the heat is much more tolerable after dark. I would be fine if they switched open hours to graveyard. 1-3 pm is brutal time to be in the parks.

I think the 10pm closing time is so that they can run extra magic hours only until midnight, which would make sense to me. Closing the park at 2 am and reopening it at 9 can't be much fun for staff.
good point personally rather be in bed by 11 and up and at em bright and early

Everyone tours the parks differently. Just like everyone books their trips at different times. I have been planning this trip for almost a year. I had no idea the hours would be at least an hour or more less each night or that DHS wouldn't have EMH in the evening.

In previous trips I spent the entire day at the park (Sept or Oct) and would let my niece fall asleep in the stroller. Yup, I would be on the bus after 1am or 2am if that's when MK closed. Not only that because of my allergy to smoke, I would wait another 20 min or more before leaving the park. I have even had CM's let me know the park is closed. Sorry, I'm not leaving with the masses and having an asthma attack with a 4 or 5 yr old. I did that once and I learned not to leave with everyone else.

I received a reply from Disney -

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

We truly appreciate that you are such a dedicated fan of the Walt Disney World Resort and that you care enough to share your feedback. Our priority is to ensure Guest satisfaction in all facets of our company and I truly apologize for any disappointment our current Theme Park hours of operation may have caused. You may be assured that your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate Leadership.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

Best Regards,

Unfortunately, its only for 3 days--I suspect its even more swamped than it has been throughout the summer for those particular days or otherwise they would not have gotten an extension. We go next week, I've been checking daily, and it closes at 10pm each and every night we are there. They exception is the EMH day, but we are going into MK that night just to see HEA and then do the EMH only (we have park hopper) because of reports that the park will be a madhouse all day. Truly frustrating as we have always gone this time of year and MK earliest close time has been 11--and often midnight or later. Couple that with the fact that we've had AK (the entire park!) open until 11 last year, and a night of Hollywood EMH and I can truly see why people are so frustrated. We can only go during school breaks, and this is always when its super crowded, and its just crazy to me to see the early close times. I don't think people are getting more worked up than they need to be, I truly think this is a big deal. I've always been critical of Universal for its early close and nickel and diming...I love Disney, but I'm very disappointed.

Just noticed the TA calendar for August now has an updated date of 7/18/17 (used to be 6/26/17) -- I don't see any changes to MK hours. I don't see any changes at all from 8/7-8/17, actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter