Am I wrong . . . DVC is a great deal right?

We drive to WDW and even of we flew, would rent a car. I don't enjoy Disney transportation, it takes a very long time to arrive anywhere. As passholders, we get free parking anyway.

I haven't noticed thin walls or anything in disrepair. I do love all of the resort activities they offer in addition to the multitude of uncrowded pools.

Yes, different things for different people, but you will be hard pressed to find anyone outside of the "owners" who think timeshare is a good deal, especially a timshare that expires and you have nothing in the end.

Fair points. As you said it depends how you vacation. We too avoid the busses as much as possible. That’s why we stay at BLT or Poly for part of a trip and plan MK days and Boardwalk for EPCOT & HS days, and can count on walking, boats or monorail. When we stay at Poly it is a short walk to TT so we just monorail. We also Uber/Lyft at times when on property. We wont stay at OKW or Saratoga because we cant not take a bus. We have stayed at Bluegreen, Vistana, and other off property timeshares as well as off site hotels. For us its DVC Vacation Club, or (2nd)Disney Springs Hotels, and (3rd) Port Orleans/French Qtrs.

Believing buying a timeshare is a financial move, or that it is a financial investment is EXACTLY what DVC marketing wants you to believe. The hook before you even talk to a kiosk CM is "Save up to 50% on Your Future Disney Stays." It's in big lettering on their binders and a big part of their canned pitch. Give it a spin next time you're in the park. I was there last week and got to experience it in full effect.

By asserting that buying a timeshare is anything more than a luxury purchase for one to buy, use and enjoy, you are doing the work of Disney for them. It's the Mickey Math form of pixie dust.

The line guides love to throw out there is that there exists a "break even" point. My first guide used the number "7-8 years" to break even. Break even against what? Hotel rates? I imagine very few people here would go to Disney every year if they had to pay even discounted rates at a hotel to do it each time.

By nature of the product itself, your habits are altered when you consume the product. It doesn't matter the "savings" you're having, you're going to spend more. Are you saving on a per stay visit? Probably. But it's more likely you're staying a lot more. Your habits have been changed. When a product changes your consumption behaviors, forecasting savings based on your altered behaviors provides a false sense of financial gain. It's how all discounts work, it gets you to buy what you wouldn't normally.

Here's a fun little financial model for people who want to get a true break even point from a purely financial standpoint. Take all of your travel costs post buying a Disney timeshare, gate tickets/APs, flights, car rentals, groceries (for those kitchens you can now use), souvenirs, signature dinings, mickey bars, etc over your first few years of ownership and divide that by the same number of years. That will give you a sense for your new spending habits (how sustainable that is is up for debate, but it's the best indicator of how the product changes behavior). Now take the previous five years (years, not visits) prior to buying a Disney timeshare and total up all the same expenses you've had over that period and divide it by five. That gives you your annual spendings prior to purchasing a timeshare.

If that latter is a smaller number than the former, there is no financial break even. To treat a timeshare, even a Disney one, as a financial investment because it's a "penny saved" is misguided and muddies the reality of timeshare ownership.

Your model of taking the initial cash outlay, investing it, using the earnings to pay cash will always be the more secure/sensible way to do Disney because as the economy tanks, you turn off the Disney spigot. You're buying financial freedom. But no one does this. It's hard enough planning 11 months out, 6 months out, 60 days out on my vacations. To layer monitoring the markets to determine when to enter/exit and decide if Disney makes sense this year? No thanks. That's why buying a Disney timeshare is a luxury. You can be lazy about it and just pay your dues and plan to go even when the world is burning around you. Nothing like planning fastpasses when your retirement is halved, right? Just grab your fiddle.

A lot of us here own because we enjoy Disney, we can afford it, and we like the idea of going back with our families year after year. It is a luxury purchase in the truest sense because when **** hits the fan and the economy tanks, ditching Disney vacations is the first thing people do. But not us timeshare folk. We're on the hook. That's a huge risk that a lot of us assume because we know it's a luxury purchase that we will enjoy using for years to come through all the ups and the downs. And if we're wrong? Whoops.

It's a timeshare not an investment.

And when the economy does finally tank, maybe the crowds will be a little smaller!

You could save more money overall staying at a value resort or even off property.

but with that being said, if you decide that a deluxe resort is a must, then yes, it does save money. At some point you will break even on your buy-in+maintenance fees (somewhere between 5-10 years, unless you finance and take all 10 years to pay) and after that you will always come out ahead. Even if maintenance fee's rise, so too will room rates (and thus your savings, so its always relative), and even then it still has resell value. Its a bad investment if you are trying to go as cheap as possible (go value or off-property), Its a great investment for the savings it offers on Deluxe properties. Nobody here would buy if DVC was more expensive than just paying regular deluxe room rates. The catch is disney is getting you to come back and spend money year after year.

and I should probably point out. DVC is not an Financial investment (although you could turn it into one, but you would get much better returns elsewhere) but more of a savings, if you were planning on going at least every 3 years anyway

Last edited:
Part of the beauty for DVC ownership is that it's not a one-size-fits-all calculation, AND it's not the run-of-the-mill timeshare experience. We bought in 2011, knowing we were soon-to-be grandparents, and that we would want to bring the family to DisneyWorld.
In the 80's, when our kids were school age, we visited every 2 or 3 years. We were unaware of DVC until it was too late to save us money then, but it definitely will save us for the future. We learned quickly, when our kids were pre-teen and older, that the hotel room style of vacationing was a little cramped for us, and would have gladly paid a premium for larger rooms. We also are now at the stage where we want to spend more time in Florida in January & February, and long-term options; buying property, buying or renting an RV, really didn't pan out for us in our search. So DVC works for us on many levels. January is also the lowest point costs of the year, so that helps our equation as well. As to the folks who post that one will tend to spend more each year on DVC trips, we have not experienced that. We spent almost 3 weeks in Orlando this January, and did not step foot in the parks. We buy APs every three years, after Jan 15, then we use them for 2 January trips, and skip the parks in year 3. We also take advantage of all dining discounts; Entertainment Books, AARP discounts, AAA discounts, Landry's discounts, you name it..... Our calculations, based on use-to-date since 2011, show that we realized payback in 2017-2018, and our $$/Night calculation continues to shrink with each visit. I'm doing heavy calculations now on where to add on, via resale, to maximize our winter stays in retirement, but still project a reasonable break-even point before we are too old to use them. All things are Subject to Change, but even if we decided to pull the plug on DVC right now, we can almost get resale what we paid for our points, direct through DVC in 2011. I don't think it's a cost savings proposition for the casual Disney World vacationer, or for those who can not plan ahead in 7-to-11 month windows. For us, however, we are pleased with our return on the investment.:)

Can be a good deal ... Not a great deal for us. Glad I passed 15 years ago.

1) huge Disney fans, when our kids were little. Traveled many other places for 15 years, and have now rediscovered our Disney fandom with adult kids. If we had purchased DVC back then ... when DVC really was a good deal ... we would have missed out on 15 years of fabulous other vacations and family memories. Our family literally saw the back roads of America, from sea to shining sea. We found many places that we love, just as much as Disney ( a few a little more).

2) Thats my next point ... family vacations and memories can happen where ever you are. You don't need DVC for that, and a good reason to take the emotional factor out of the equation.

An auto dealer once told me that a good deal is one you are happy with! The financial math of DVC ownership usually varies from analysis to analysis because it depends on what assumptions are made and what costs are included. I've done my own calculations just for fun a few times over the past 15 years of ownership. I always include the upfront cost (relevant if someone doesn't already own) or the resell value (relevant because it's an opportunity cost of remaining an owner). I also include an estimate of the present value of the maintenance fees and, to translate the numbers into a per point cost, I estimate the present value of the remaining points on each contract I own. The specific numbers aren't really important because they reflect all of the assumptions I make but every time I've done this the present value of the maintenance fees is 1.5 to 2 times greater than the upfront cost.

Regardless , it's not very farfetched for anyone to think that the actual cost of their ownership will be at least 2.5 to 3 times the upfront cost. The bottom line is that, of course, DVC is expensive. Is it a good deal? For us, it has been. I thought it was when we bought. I still think it is.

I can’t help but to laugh a little when I read about all the math that takes place. I’m just the opposite. When my wife and I were considering DVC we asked each other, “want to do it?”

And then asked DVC to take our money!

It was a far more emotional decision than a logical one. We talked about spending time with parents, our young adult children, and future grandkids. And wrote a check!

Since then we’ve had some great vacations from HI to FL with friends and family that we’d probably never would have done.

And that grandkid came last week so we already have her first Disney vacation booked in a 3 bedroom @ Jambo! :)

Regardless , it's not very farfetched for anyone to think that the actual cost of their ownership will be at least 2.5 to 3 times the upfront cost. The bottom line is that, of course, DVC is expensive. Is it a good deal? For us, it has been. I thought it was when we bought. I still think it is.

WOW ... that was one of the most genuine and honest posts I've seen from an actual DVC owner. Thanks for sharing.

Have you ever stayed in a DVC resort?

No, and I have no desire to. For the same money I have stayed in much nicer hotels with better amenities. The off site places I stay are all very nice and clean with amenities the Disney resorts can't match, and half the price.

No, and I have no desire to. For the same money I have stayed in much nicer hotels with better amenities. The off site places I stay are all very nice and clean with amenities the Disney resorts can't match, and half the price.

I'm intrigued....what amenities are you receiving that Disney can't match?

There are certainly hotels with amenities you can't get in a timeshare. For us the extra space and kitchen are what's most important. We prefer on property but are just as happy on property. Timeshares tend to offer more activities than just a condo and for us personally we probably average less than $600 a night even including our on property timeshares stays over 25 years. I have my list of timeshares that I feel are better than DVC side by side but you have to ignore theming and location to have the discussion. But they are not a lot better even for the best ones.

I don’t think you can make a valid comparison if you haven’t experienced staying at a Disney property. I have stayed offsite and wouldn’t do it again.

Disney is worth the extra cost. There are lots of different things to do at Disney that have nothing to do with the parks and unless you stay at a resort you may never know about them. My kids for example loved the Horse Riding Experience. Going on a boat ride is also pretty cool.

The extra benefits on staying onsite far outweigh the cost difference. Being able to access fast pass booking 60 days in advance of your holiday, compared to 30 days if you stay offsite is worth a lot to me. I own at BLT and can walk to the park. I can come and go as I please and don’t need to worry about parking, getting stuck in traffic or depend upon outside buses picking me up.

When the parks get busy, I just take a 5 min walk back to my hotel, chill out for a bit and then go back when things are not so busy. You have a far more relaxed vacation staying on site.

As a side note some of the cheaper Disney resorts are great value if you don’t want to spend much. I would be surprised if you could buy a better option for half the price of a night at Pop Century.

You should give on site a try...you might be surprised.

Personally, I think not having to come up with a yearly strategy to convince my husband to drop $$$ for a vacation is priceless and worth the investment right there!

It makes us sick to think how much we dropped for a cash stay in a two bedroom last summer before buying in. I could've bought more points with that cash if we'd clued in sooner, haha!

We plan on selling our dvc’s before the expiration (2042 and 2060) so that we are out only the time value or money and our maintenance fees. Then we are at lease not “out” on the principle.

Luckily, I expect to at least break even on the resale.

We plan on selling our dvc’s before the expiration (2042 and 2060) so that we are out only the time value or money and our maintenance fees. Then we are at lease not “out” on the principle.

Luckily, I expect to at least break even on the resale.

I think this depends when you sell before expiration. Selling 5-10 years before expiration may not net you much on the resale. At some point (probably relatively soon) you will start seeing a decline on 2042 resorts.

Given that 2042 resorts are expiring, this also decreases the value of later resorts as they can be used to book rooms at less resorts.

Well said. I agree. One of the best purchases, I feel, we have ever made. Bought in 1997 and wish we had bought more points. Bought before kids, now our boys are in their teens and they have grown up on the Disney trips and ask to go every year. We have discussed the future of DVC with them and they say that they still want us to keep it. It is not about the money at this point, and like you said, if you can afford it and it brings you joy, then it is a good purchase!
This is why I decided to buy 200 points now. I not only bought before kids, I bought before husband, so I wouldn't have to convince him to buy a timeshare. 😂

I think this depends when you sell before expiration. Selling 5-10 years before expiration may not net you much on the resale. At some point (probably relatively soon) you will start seeing a decline on 2042 resorts.

Given that 2042 resorts are expiring, this also decreases the value of later resorts as they can be used to book rooms at less resorts.

We bought at a relatively low price so if the price drops significantly 30-50%, we will still break even. It was pure dumb luck, but one that makes dvc economical.

We also bought where we are happy to stay... bwv and BLT.

Is it a money saver? Maybe.

Too many factors to say for certain, both personal and economics that are out of your control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter