AM I TOO BIG?

Drew Perri

Mouseketeer
I am taking my girlfriend to DLR and DCA for 5 days next week. She has never been to Cali as we are from the deep south of Alabama so she is VERY EXCITED. I am 6 foot 3 and right at 400 pounds. Most of my weight is def in my tummy area. I have small legs and arms for my size. I wear a size 50ish pants and a 3x or 4x shirt depending. I know I had no trouble riding anything even the fantasyland kiddie rides like peter pan and snowwhite and pinochio about 7 years ago when i was about 100 pounds lighter. I have spent all week looking for peoples comments on forums before deciding to just ask myself. I have seen sooo many different answers. I have seen at least 4 people mention being with someone my size and it wasnt a problem but ive seen people say avoid space mountain or matterhorn. Space Mountain is the one thing im looking forward to most since Pirates is gonna be down the whole time we are there. We were orginally gonna do both DLR parks and knotts and Univeral but i read alot of people smaller than me couldnt ride those rides, so im bummed to say the least. Any help is appreciated including info on whether or not a trip to Knotts or UHS would still be enjoyable at my size

I am taking my girlfriend to DLR and DCA for 5 days next week. She has never been to Cali as we are from the deep south of Alabama so she is VERY EXCITED. I am 6 foot 3 and right at 400 pounds. Most of my weight is def in my tummy area. I have small legs and arms for my size. I wear a size 50ish pants and a 3x or 4x shirt depending. I know I had no trouble riding anything even the fantasyland kiddie rides like peter pan and snowwhite and pinochio about 7 years ago when i was about 100 pounds lighter. I have spent all week looking for peoples comments on forums before deciding to just ask myself. I have seen sooo many different answers. I have seen at least 4 people mention being with someone my size and it wasnt a problem but ive seen people say avoid space mountain or matterhorn. Space Mountain is the one thing im looking forward to most since Pirates is gonna be down the whole time we are there. We were orginally gonna do both DLR parks and knotts and Univeral but i read alot of people smaller than me couldnt ride those rides, so im bummed to say the least. Any help is appreciated including info on whether or not a trip to Knotts or UHS would still be enjoyable at my size

At my heaviest 360 and 5 foot 8. I was able to ride everything but the swings in DCA and astro orbiters .But everyone is built different.

At my heaviest 360 and 5 foot 8. I was able to ride everything but the swings in DCA and astro orbiters .But everyone is built different.
Thank you for responding. I also didnt know if i should be worried about guardians, i never tried to get on ToT but i really want to ride the GoG ride

Thank you for responding. I also didnt know if i should be worried about guardians, i never tried to get on ToT but i really want to ride the GoG ride
Guardians uses a seat belt, so what I used to do was before I'd sit down I would pull the seat belt all the way out before I sat down and I wouldn't have a problem also the same for star tours.

My husband is shorter than you and at one point was hovering just below your weight. On that trip he could not get on the ride now know as goofys Sky school. He carries his weight everywhere, including sumo legs, and the restraint just did NOT work for him.

That’s the only Disney ride (that still exists) that he’s had issues with.

Any help is appreciated including info on whether or not a trip to Knotts or UHS would still be enjoyable at my size

Uni will not be a fun day of rides for you. Hippogriff has difficult restraints in Hollywood. The Mummy has similar restraints (husband has never gotten on that ride in Hollywood or Orlando). FJ just no. Even Despicable Me has restraints that mean everyone is unrestrained in your row if you are. Though I think they have a non moving section that might be a good choice. Same issue with the restraint row on Simpsons. Now this wasn’t something our family complained about, but it can impact others that are seated with you.

However!!! The former Shrek now Kung Fu Panda attraction should be ok (and fun), there are shows, the tram tour...

It can be a fun day, but not necessarily of *rides*.

And from what I’ve heard about Knotts, that’s not going to go well.

For any ride with a seatbelt, pull it ALL the way out *before* you sit down, hold it out, sit, and then pull it around you and click it in.

It just works better that way.

Guardians, Indy, Star Tours...those are some that have seatbelts...

For Space you should also ask to board using the “handicapped” rocket. It’s off to the side, so if you have difficulties getting in it won’t delay the ride which could shut it all down. I was riding with someone who was very tall and knew to ask for that one.

For Space you should also ask to board using the “handicapped” rocket. It’s off to the side, so if you have difficulties getting in it won’t delay the ride which could shut it all down. I was riding with someone who was very tall and knew to ask for that one.

Good point. Yes, if you will need any extra time for boarding or exiting a ride (and some rides have deep seats, like SM and RSR, that can take more time for some people to load/unload safely, for example), just let the CMs know before you enter the loading area. They will direct you to wherever you need to go. The timing cycles on the rides are rather short, so it's better to let the CMs know well in advance that you might need some extra time rather than exceeding the cycle and accidentally shutting down the whole system.

AVOID Knott's.
Their rides are very unfriendly for larger people.
Plus their employees can be rather rude about a persons size as they are loading the ride.
Which made for an extremely embarrassing experience on Silver Bullet a few years back.

You'll be fine at DLR.

Have fun next week!!

Geemo

I'm 6'2 325, down from 375 and have a fairly even build. When I was 50 lbs heavier I could just barely get by on Space Mt. MAtterhorn was also tight. I prefer the rear seats on Space and the front seats on the Matterhorn. I've heard Goofy's Sky School is also a tight fit. Other than that I've been just fine on everything.

I’m Pooh sized and almost 6 feet tall. The only ride that bothered me was Winnie the Pooh. My knees were squished. Painfully. Space was tight but liveable.

My family and a couple f my friends are all bigger sized and they have been able to fit on all the rides. Some like Matterhorn weren't the most comfortable but were able to ride.

I don’t have anything to add but just wanted to wish you an amazing trip! How exciting to take someone new!

My husband is shorter than you and at one point was hovering just below your weight. On that trip he could not get on the ride now know as goofys Sky school. He carries his weight everywhere, including sumo legs, and the restraint just did NOT work for him.

That’s the only Disney ride (that still exists) that he’s had issues with.

Ugh. Goofy's Sky School. My kids love that ride but I find the ride vehicle horribly uncomfortable. I'm sure being heavier doesn't help but just height alone is an issue on that one.

I find Goofys sky school uncomfortable and I'm only 5 5" and about 200 pounds. Its just small and awkward. And...I do the pull out the seat belt before I sit trick on almost all rides. its just easier.

Thank all of you so much for responding, it means the world to me. So on any rides that I ask to use the ADA vehicle is it typically only for one person or will they have room for my girlfriend to ride aswell? I stinks that Screamin and Pirates will be down the whole time I am there

Good point. Yes, if you will need any extra time for boarding or exiting a ride (and some rides have deep seats, like SM and RSR, that can take more time for some people to load/unload safely, for example), just let the CMs know before you enter the loading area. They will direct you to wherever you need to go. The timing cycles on the rides are rather short, so it's better to let the CMs know well in advance that you might need some extra time rather than exceeding the cycle and accidentally shutting down the whole system.
Will these special carts support another person as well? I dont want my girlfriend to have to ride seperate

Thank all of you so much for responding, it means the world to me. So on any rides that I ask to use the ADA vehicle is it typically only for one person or will they have room for my girlfriend to ride aswell? I stinks that Screamin and Pirates will be down the whole time I am there
Yes, your GF will be in the ride vehicle with you :)

Will these special carts support another person as well? I dont want my girlfriend to have to ride seperate
Space Mountain, Radiator Springs Racer's and ToyStory all have a dedicated platform for those needing extra time for boarding and unboarding.
The two of you will stay together and board the same vehicle. Once you've experienced the ride, you can decide if you'd be able to use the general line for additional rides.

I've used all of them and it makes it nice not to have to rush.
On Space Mt. if the special platform isn't busy, the CM's might let you go through a second time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter