Am I the only one who was not impressed by FOP?

My DH doesn't like it. He said there isn't a real thrill for him like a rollercoaster.

Reactions: Ils
You're not alone! It wasn't blurry for me, but my feeling is that at the end of the day, a motion simulator is just a motion simulator. It's a very good motion simulator, but at this point in my life I have a strong preference for rides that move through physical environments, as my brain is rarely fooled into thinking I'm actually moving when I'm just looking at a screen from a seat that shifts around in place.

That says it perfectly for me, too. I've ridden it twice, and if there is a line, don't ever need to ride it again.

DH and I could do without it. I really think it's just an individual thing, but I agree that it was hyped up so much that expectation levels were high. However, my kids are in love with that ride, so we make it a must-do each trip if we can secure a FP.

I think it does depend on the ride you get. The first time I rode it, I don't think my seat was working properly. It did not breathe that I could detect, the movements seemed stiff and when it was over, it didn't release to let me go without assistance from another rider. I walked away saying it was ok but not worth waiting over an hour for. I have ridden since and very much enjoyed it but for me, I don't think any ride is worth waiting over an hour for.

I'm a bit mixed. I thought parts of it were kind of neat, but the pre-show is annoying. Also, well, once you have seen the story, you have seen the story.

VR rides should have multiple versions like Star Tours. That would make the ride SO much more interesting, IMO. Or like, if riders could actually interact with the VR world, that would be awesome.

Some of the effects are neat, but that's all there is to it, special effects. Where's the story? Disney used to be SUPER at telling interesting stories.

This ride would have been far more compelling if some element about it changed each time you rode it, in a way that was interesting. Jungle Cruise has jokes (that can change), HM has different ghosts that go home with you, and Buzz/TSM riders score points.

I especially don't understand why the pre-show is SO boring and annoying.

Even if there was some kind of meaning behind the name of the avatar we were given that would add something of interest, just as every HP wand element has a meaning. Something even that simple would make FoP more interesting, IMO.

Last edited:
We LOVE FOP so much so that we go to the park just to go on FOP then leave and go to our park for the day. :)

We’ve ridden FoP 4 times (all with a FP) and we all really enjoy it and think it’s a great ride.....but simulator rides just don’t have a lot of re-rideability to me. When I get off FoP, I feel no need to turn around and go back on, but we will ride EE 5 times in a row before I stop my kids and say “We need to take a break or mommy’s going to puke!” Lol!

We’ve ridden FoP 4 times (all with a FP) and we all really enjoy it and think it’s a great ride.....but simulator rides just don’t have a lot of re-rideability to me. When I get off FoP, I feel no need to turn around and go back on, but we will ride EE 5 times in a row before I stop my kids and say “We need to take a break or mommy’s going to puke!” Lol!
We went to an after events in Feb and we rode EE four times in a row. We all went on FoP and enjoyed it but none of us wanted to go back on even though it was only a 5 min wait.

We went on FOP last week and even though I enjoyed it, I feel it did not live up to the hype.

I don’t know if it was because of the glasses I had on were dirty or defective, but too much of the ride was blurry.

For us it was a one and done.

You asked?? Yes, IMO you are!! I have not talked to anyone (yet) that has not been blown away! It was like nothing ever before to dh & I. We totally loved it, and in two different trips had several FP's for it. Heard nothing but positives around us.

Have an astigmatism in one eye and the motion at times bothered me and I'd have to close my eyes for a bit. The glasses fit over my prescription glasses just fine - just were a little too large for my head - needed to keep adjusting them - but these had nothing to do with how great the ride is.

I can't go to AK without riding FOP. It's easily a top 5 or probably 3 Disney attraction.

It's not for me. Wasn't blurry but it killed me with the motion sickness (even through my prescription patch) which killed my enjoyment of the ride. Even the smells made me nauseous. The theming in the queue is great though.

I liked Navi River better.
I could have written this as well! I liked Navi River a lot better too. And yes, motion sickness killed FOP for me too. Its a one and done for me. I hate motion simulator rides. Makes me so nauseous. I like rides where i move through actual physical things.

We’ve ridden it a few times now and DH will happily tell you it’s the best ride on property, I on the other hand thought it was a very good ride but if I had a choice between FoP and Everest I know which I’m choosing. I wasn’t blown away by it but DH was.

As a side note - I found River Journey a little underwhelming. Visually looks awesome but I felt it was missing something.

You're not alone! It wasn't blurry for me, but my feeling is that at the end of the day, a motion simulator is just a motion simulator. It's a very good motion simulator, but at this point in my life I have a strong preference for rides that move through physical environments, as my brain is rarely fooled into thinking I'm actually moving when I'm just looking at a screen from a seat that shifts around in place. I think it really, really doesn't help that you can turn your head left or right and see the other riders; for me Star Tours is still the better simulator because everything that's within your field of vision is moving with you (that's part of my problem, though; I wrote about immersive cinema academically and part of my research involved riding motion simulators and deliberately looking the wrong way to break the illusion and see how things were done--and now I can't turn it off!). I enjoyed FoP, to be sure, but I don't think I'm inclined to wait more than half an hour for it now that I've done it once. Would absolutely recommend everyone do it once to see how they like it, but for me on future trips it's just not a high priority.

I have mixed feelings on the design of the seats. It's a cool concept and I really liked the added touch of the Banshee "breathing" under you, but I agree with a previous poster--the design of the seats tends to exclude too many guests from riding. I thought I'd have trouble fitting into the seat because I'm heavy, but my challenge actually came from my legs being almost too long to fit--and I'm only 5'10"! The unusual design makes it really difficult to predict what body types will or won't fit, since I'm sure many people taller than me but proportioned differently are able to ride...so then we have these threads where people are giving their body measurements down to their calf diameter and even with that kind of data it's still impossible to say until you get there whether or not you'll fit in the dang vehicle.
This is exactly how I feel. It’s a very good motion simulator. But I prefer moving through actual environments- so Expedition Everest or even Forbidden Journey at IOA are more enjoyable to me.

All 4 in my family think that FoP is by far, the best ride at Disney.

The only negative for us is now when we ride Soarin', we are like ehhhh... it's good, but it's no FoP!

My sister and I are FoP fanatics. Our favorite ride by far. We do still like Soarin', but if it's a choice between the two, Soarin' would lose.

To me, FoP is the best ride Disney's ever done, hands down. Love love love it.

I found the glasses to suck too. Sounds like they should figure out how to clean them better or replace. My husband had ridden it without me on an earlier trip and noticed the difference with the glasses.

Because it was hyped up so much, because the wait time was always so long, I had really high expectations going into it. So, yes, I was disappointed. It was cool, but I liken it to Soarin' on a motorcycle.

Not much impresses me anymore. I loved loved loved FOP. Granted we had FPs, I wouldn't wait more than 90 minutes for it though. With so many new rides opening, I'm confident I can enjoy FOP for the next 20 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter