• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I the only one who finds this awkward ?!

disneydude365

In dreams you will lose your heartaches
Ok so I use an EVC or a scooter in the parks but I can walk briefly like to interact with characters and to board a ride.

I love meeting characters but lately I've been feeling self conscious at the end of the meet when I have to go and get the the EVC/scooter and get it out of the way. Basically walking back to get it, then driving back same path I had just took, trying not to hit the camera ppl. I don't like driving it forward prior to the meet due to it's always in the shot and that's time wasted from the meet and greet and photos

So does anyone else feel like this is awkward or am I over playing it in my head lol

not the same thing but i have a really big bag and when the people in front of me are with the characters I go behind the photo people to put my bag down. if there is room you could do that I do not know how long you can stand in one place I would make sure that you wait so it dose not look like you where with the group in front of you. if you have to stay in your ECV

just a thought

not the same thing but i have a really big bag and when the people in front of me are with the characters I go behind the photo people to put my bag down. if there is room you could do that I do not know how long you can stand in one place I would make sure that you wait so it dose not look like you where with the group in front of you. if you have to stay in your ECV

just a thought

It's a good idea but usually the meet and greet area there's not enough room behind the photographers and the roped off area to maneuver without hitting something or someone :/

You're over thinking it. Nobody is paying any attention to you, they're paying attention to their own group. Do what you need to do.

I frequently park my chair in stroller parking, or some other unobtrusive spot, and walk to an attraction. This is no different than what you are doing. I don't think anyone spends a lot of time passing judgement when they see me going back and getting into my chair again. And if they do? Ask me how much I care.

I find it awkward too! I feel like people look at me and think i must be just lazy needing the ECV, I've taken to parking it outside and walking into attractions

You're over thinking it. Nobody is paying any attention to you, they're paying attention to their own group. Do what you need to do.

I frequently park my chair in stroller parking, or some other unobtrusive spot, and walk to an attraction. This is no different than what you are doing. I don't think anyone spends a lot of time passing judgement when they see me going back and getting into my chair again. And if they do? Ask me how much I care.

Thank you for that :) I just hate that my disability is mostly not that noticeable on the outside except when I try to stand for a period of time. But I guess you're right it shouldn't matter what others think!

I find it awkward too! I feel like people look at me and think i must be just lazy needing the ECV, I've taken to parking it outside and walking into attractions
Glad I'm not alone in the way I feel! For character interactions though I try to get early as possible and even then you have to wait in line for some to show up, not that many places to store the EVC/Scooter, and personally I can't physically stay standing that long
Ppl need to understand some of us using these things legitimately need them and if we could we'd rather be standing if we were able to!

Ok so I use an EVC or a scooter in the parks but I can walk briefly like to interact with characters and to board a ride.

I love meeting characters but lately I've been feeling self conscious at the end of the meet when I have to go and get the the EVC/scooter and get it out of the way. Basically walking back to get it, then driving back same path I had just took, trying not to hit the camera ppl. I don't like driving it forward prior to the meet due to it's always in the shot and that's time wasted from the meet and greet and photos

So does anyone else feel like this is awkward or am I over playing it in my head lol

You are just fine. I promise. 99% of people using ECV's have "hidden disabilities"; you can't tell just by looking at them why they use an ECV.

Think of it like this - the ECV is a TOOL, and nothing more. The eyeglasses that I use? A tool - to help me see better. I'll bet you have used a calculator at least once in your life... that is a TOOL to help with math. (I stink at math, so I always have a calculator handy). These are all tools that people use every day. So, an ECV is also a tool for humans who have trouble walking/standing.

I use my personal ECV as a tool - to get out in the world, and do things, and go places, and be myself again.

The best tip I have for you to help ease the discomfort you have is this: When I am approaching a character Meet-n-Greet (or a PhotoPass photographer) I park my ECV so that it is pointed AWAY from the interaction AFTER it is over. When I am done meeting the character, or getting my picture taken (or both!) I hop on, and ride away, never looking back. Who was that mysterious smiling stranger on the ECV? Why it's MAMABUNNY! Watch her ride off into the sunset, ready to have another adventure! ;)

So, get on that ECV and ride. Smile at everyone, and make eye contact. Wave like a handsome Prince at all the pretty girls! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks; the chances that you will see ANYONE from Disney World outside of your trip ever again? You have better odds betting on the lottery. You stand a better chance of getting struck by lightning! You will NEVER see those people at Disney World again, in all likelihood. So don't worry about them. They are all too busy worrying about themselves, and taking "selfies" and posting their lunch on Instagram anyway.

Have fun, and post some of those pictures from your next trip! :)

My son can walk, but due to his chronic conditions long periods are out of the question. Sometimes short periods are out of the question. Sometimes he will get out of wheelchair for pictures.

You are just fine. I promise. 99% of people using ECV's have "hidden disabilities"; you can't tell just by looking at them why they use an ECV.

Think of it like this - the ECV is a TOOL, and nothing more. The eyeglasses that I use? A tool - to help me see better. I'll bet you have used a calculator at least once in your life... that is a TOOL to help with math. (I stink at math, so I always have a calculator handy). These are all tools that people use every day. So, an ECV is also a tool for humans who have trouble walking/standing.

I use my personal ECV as a tool - to get out in the world, and do things, and go places, and be myself again.

The best tip I have for you to help ease the discomfort you have is this: When I am approaching a character Meet-n-Greet (or a PhotoPass photographer) I park my ECV so that it is pointed AWAY from the interaction AFTER it is over. When I am done meeting the character, or getting my picture taken (or both!) I hop on, and ride away, never looking back. Who was that mysterious smiling stranger on the ECV? Why it's MAMABUNNY! Watch her ride off into the sunset, ready to have another adventure! ;)

So, get on that ECV and ride. Smile at everyone, and make eye contact. Wave like a handsome Prince at all the pretty girls! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks; the chances that you will see ANYONE from Disney World outside of your trip ever again? You have better odds betting on the lottery. You stand a better chance of getting struck by lightning! You will NEVER see those people at Disney World again, in all likelihood. So don't worry about them. They are all too busy worrying about themselves, and taking "selfies" and posting their lunch on Instagram anyway.

This is such a lovely post <3<3<3

Oh thank you this post was awesome and I truly appreciate it and will definitely remember to post some pictures from the upcoming trip thank you for the truly kind words honestly makes me feel like it's not that big of a deal anymore!!

My son can walk, but due to his chronic conditions long periods are out of the question. Sometimes short periods are out of the question. Sometimes he will get out of wheelchair for pictures.
Glad to see I'm not alone ! And it sounds similar to me.

This is such a lovely post <3<3<3
I agree with you whole heartedly one of the best comments I've read on the DIS

You should have a great time at the park. Don't worry and feel awkward about your need to use a scooter. Like the above posters suggested I don't think anyone is paying attention to what your doing. Enjoy yourself and hopefully the Disney Park Staff are accomadating to your needs.

Have a great vacation :car:

I don't think people look at me - and I wouldn't care even if they did! The handlers at the front of the queue know how to direct you, anyway, and as soon as it's your turn they'll tell you where they'd like you to park up. Sometimes they point to where they want me to park, sometimes it's just beyond the meet area so I don't get in the way of the next group coming up or, if it's inside you often park up behind the photographers and then walk to the actual 'set'.

At least taking my scooter inside or in the queue with me, I don't have to stand around uncomfortably with my walking stick.

But I hate when the character spots a child (who is dressed in character clothing) two or three groups back. Bring them to the first of the line, ahead of me on an EVC. Who waited 20+ minutes from the previous greet time to be first for the current greet time. And the parents don't say a word. But the people behind me who also got "jumped over" calls out the character & the "privilege" family for being discourteous.

This is good food for thought. My parents will likely both have ECVs on our next trip - one planned, the other due to recent surgery. I'll keep these things in mind.

But I hate when the character spots a child (who is dressed in character clothing) two or three groups back. Bring them to the first of the line, ahead of me on an EVC. Who waited 20+ minutes from the previous greet time to be first for the current greet time. And the parents don't say a word. But the people behind me who also got "jumped over" calls out the character & the "privilege" family for being discourteous.

You seriously saw this happen? That's disgraceful. The only time we've ever seen a familly brought to the front was because they were 'Make a Wish' kids.

You seriously saw this happen? That's disgraceful. The only time we've ever seen a familly brought to the front was because they were 'Make a Wish' kids.

Yep Snow White did it to me in 2011. That's why I'm partial to the non verbal character.

Most of us who are disabled have hidden disabilities. Anybody with a beef about our accommodations can jump in a lake! Can you imagine such a yucky life that you would sweat someone else's disabilities? Tragic. You have fun. Trick out that ECV with streamers, glitter and balloons!

Yeah, it's awkward, but it's just one of those things. A couple of years ago in Animal Kingdom one member of my group looked like she was having trouble getting out of her ECV for meeting Baloo and King Louie, and King Louie came over and gave her his arm as if he was helping a princess down from a carriage. He did the same thing when it was time to go. It was one of the sweetest and most memorable moments of the trip. I hope the characters' friends know how much those of us with disabilities appreciate little touches like that.

I had great interraction with Woody because he apparently likes to go and play with the horns on people's ECVs. Well, I made a great play of pulling him back a couple of times - once by his rear belt buckle. What cheesed me off was the complete missed opportunity - the stupid MM photographer didn't photograph a single one of these antics! The only one I've got is him sitting in the seat pressing the buttons with me 'ticking' him off wagging my finger at him - and that was only taken when I pointed out (finally) that I wanted some photos of this.

Folks, do what ever you need to make your life and visit to WDW as easy on yourself as you can. Who cares what somebody else might be thinking? For each of those negative folks there are probably 10 that don't have negative thoughts about you or anything past what they are in line for. These folks are not your friends, relatives, co-workers etc.. Why worry about what some small minded people think and have it affect your enjoyment? You are never going to see them again.

"Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you’ve never been hurt.
Dance like nobody’s watching,
and live like it’s heaven on earth."
and Disney World is the best place to do that no matter your abilities or lack there of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter