Am I reading this right? Pre-testing change?

It's awful only for the party being turned away. It's a big sigh of relief for the remaining 1000s who no longer have to spend their vacation in fear of a resulting outbreak on board.
Which is how I thought until I tested positive last Friday which ended up being an error. Tested at CVS and a drive thru clinic an hour after test at the port and both came back negative the next day. I have been testing 2x a week at work for the past 1.5 years and all negative. If DCL is going to continue with testing it would be nice if it was accurate!

Which is how I thought until I tested positive last Friday which ended up being an error. Tested at CVS and a drive thru clinic an hour after test at the port and both came back negative the next day. I have been testing 2x a week at work for the past 1.5 years and all negative. If DCL is going to continue with testing it would be nice if it was accurate!
That's unfortunate - though can happen with any test. No test will be 100% accurate.

There is this small part of me that wonders if Disney used the tests as a way to "cancel" cruises with out having to cancel and offer a discount. I know its for safety, but with the cost cutting it fees off they are doing all the testing at their cost. Unless the government reimbursements go to them too.

I am really confused guys. I cruise end of April and just trying to get prepared for protocol and what to expect. The rules and policies could change by the time I cruise but as of right now does it mean that I need to pay $98 for a test within 3 days of my sailing and then another $65 for another test at the ship?

I am really confused guys. I cruise end of April and just trying to get prepared for protocol and what to expect. The rules and policies could change by the time I cruise but as of right now does it mean that I need to pay $98 for a test within 3 days of my sailing and then another $65 for another test at the ship?
No. As of right now there is no change. Vaccinated passengers only need to be tested at embarkation.

No, right now the only people testing 2-3 days precruise and have to pay for testing are children not old enough to be vaccinated. Everyone then tests again (at DCL expense) at the port. This could change by April though.

Sorry stupid question. I’m sure this is covered somewhere but if everyone in your family is fully vaccinated do you still have show a negative test?

Sorry stupid question. I’m sure this is covered somewhere but if everyone in your family is fully vaccinated do you still have show a negative test?
All guests age 5+ must be fully vaccinated and will also be tested at embarkation.
Guests too young to be vaccinated (<5) must be tested up to 3 days in advance and then again at embarkation.

I am among those hoping they move to pre-port arrival testing. There are pros and cons to both, but for me it would allow me to test before I hit the road to Florida so that way I would know if I was good to go or not.

I will say, for those saying the at the port testing is preventing crazy case numbers, outbreaks, etc, if you look at the CDC monitoring, DCL currently has 2 ships in the "Yellow", one in the "green" and one in the "orange" level. RCL and Carnival, which (unless I'm mistaken) do advance testing, they have 10 and 22 ships in the "green" status and a similar overall ratio of green to yellow to orange that Disney has. If pre-arrival testing was that bad, why wouldn't they have tons of orange level ships and huge outbreaks?

Port testing certainly catches some more tests, but I would think it would be a relatively small amt. If/when Disney does move away from the port testing though, my guess is it's more about the money it costs Disney for the at port testing than anything else.

I wish they would highlight what changed because the top of the page does say "Last Updated: February 25, 2022"

Now it says, Last Updated: February 28, 2022.

Guests Have Multiple Options for Completing Their Pre-Trip COVID-19 Testing

1. Guests residing in the United States can purchase a pre-trip, at-home PCR test directly from the Safe Passage website by Inspire Diagnostics. Tests must be completed and mailed back 3 days before sailing.
  2. Guests can use the Safe Passage website to purchase and schedule a pre-trip test to be performed at one of the Inspire Diagnostics testing locations set up for Disney Cruise Line Guests near the cruise terminal, one to 3 days before their sail date.
  3. Guests may obtain their PCR test from any independent testing provider. "

1. Guests residing in the United States can purchase a pre-trip, at-home PCR test directly from the Safe Passage website by Inspire Diagnostics. Tests must be completed and mailed back 3 days before sailing.
  2. Guests can use the Safe Passage website to purchase and schedule a pre-trip test to be performed at one of the Inspire Diagnostics testing locations set up for Disney Cruise Line Guests near the cruise terminal, one to 3 days before their sail date.

The page for Embarkation Day hasn't changed since Feb 1. It still says:
"Embarkation COVID-19 Testing: All Guests, regardless of age and vaccination status, are required to take a COVID-19 test (paid for by Disney Cruise Line and administered by Inspire Diagnostics) at the terminal before boarding. This will be the second of two COVID-19 PCR tests required for unvaccinated Guests. Guests with positive COVID-19 test results—as well as those sharing the same stateroom and their close contacts—will be denied boarding. "

I'm pretty sure the part you're quoting above is only valid for those who can not have the vaccine and need to do a PCR test. **It reads to me as though unvaccinated guests may be able to cruise soon though by taking a PCR 3 days prior and then being tested again at the port** (but it may only refer to those who can not medically have the vaccination not just those who choose not to)

Last edited:
The page for Embarkation Day hasn't changed since Feb 1. It still says:
"Embarkation COVID-19 Testing: All Guests, regardless of age and vaccination status, are required to take a COVID-19 test (paid for by Disney Cruise Line and administered by Inspire Diagnostics) at the terminal before boarding. This will be the second of two COVID-19 PCR tests required for unvaccinated Guests. Guests with positive COVID-19 test results—as well as those sharing the same stateroom and their close contacts—will be denied boarding. "

I'm pretty sure the part you're quoting above is only valid for those who can not have the vaccine and need to do a PCR test. **It reads to me as though unvaccinated guests may be able to cruise soon though by taking a PCR 3 days prior and then being tested again at the port** (but it may only refer to those who can not medically have the vaccination not just those who choose not to)

Man, that's confusing!

That's a big part of why they are going this way. Disney has been paying for testing and refunding trips to get people to continue to cruise.
You can already get the refund if you test positive in advance, though. You don't need to go to the port to get that.

I'm sailing soon in a week and a half. When I go to Safe Passage, it says I must test at the terminal.

I don't know where you are, but where I am (Texas, USA) the cost of a test is free. I can go to any number of testing sites right now (Curative, CVS, Walgreens, etc) and get a PCR test for no charge - with or without insurance.

But there's no guarantee of return time which is critical when you have less than 3 days for a cruise. I think in most cases you should be fine, especially with testing numbers dropping so much now, but if you want to get it guaranteed within a day or so, it's going to cost.

But there's no guarantee of return time which is critical when you have less than 3 days for a cruise. I think in most cases you should be fine, especially with testing numbers dropping so much now, but if you want to get it guaranteed within a day or so, it's going to cost.

We're lucky. Here in Austin, Curative offers a rapid PCR, not unlike the rapid PCR at the port. Results back in just a couple of hours. Before that, we tested my daughter at Curative twice with their standard PCR and had results back in 24 hours both times. They are super speedy. Especially with numbers coming down, testing is getting faster across the board. For sure, a month ago, that was definitely not the case. Just getting a test was near impossible! I think it will definitely be doable should Disney decide to go that route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter