Am I fastpassing something wrong here??!!

Ryan D

Earning My Ears
Howdy All,
Hope you can help me out here. I am a fairly competent WDW passholder/regular but I just noticed something and I wondered if anyone had any insight.
I am booking my fastpasses for an upcoming big visit to the world and I was planning my day at Epcot and I wanted to book a FP for IllumiNations....but...BUT!!....if I do that ....I can't book a FP for Frozen, Soarin, Test Track or even meeting Mickey.

As we all know.... IllumiNations ....is at THE END OF THE DAY !!!!

Am I looking at this wrong or is there a way around this???
Granted I am thinking of doing the dessert party but ....come on...
why should I have to??? (i kinda want to -however not the point)

Help
please!
ps. It will most likely be the last time I see Illuminations so I do want to make a big deal of it...fyi

Illuminations is a Tier 1 fastpass, like Frozen, Testtrack, Soarin, and it has been for a long time. We’ve been able to get the fastpass for this on several occasions in the afternoon/evening. Take care of the rides and as the day progresses, keep hitting refresh on the MDE app and you will hopefully have success!

Yeah, it really forces most normal folks to either choose Frozen/Test Track/Soarin or the Illuminations viewing area. Of course, we are not normal folks but rather DisBoarders and we know we can do all of the above! FP+ refresh.

You really don’t need a FP for illuminations, many great viewing areas. Go for one if the big rides, you’ll be able to find a spot or refresh for a FP.

There are plenty of viewing areas for Illuminations, I wouldn't waste my tier 1 FP on it. If you're considering a viewing party anyhow then go with that option and use your FP for something else that's Tier 1.

In my last 5 trips, I've never failed to get a FP for Illuminations with only a moderate amount of refreshing at about 8pm (and it regularly shows up during the day as well). Basically, once you've ridden the last ride you want FP for, start looking for Illuminations. That being said, and as others have noted, many good places to view it - I haven't found the FP location any better than many others we've had (although it's closer to the main exit than other of my favorites and this way I don't have to have any debates with everyone else where to watch!)

Problem is you're trying to book more than one tier 1 FP.
Ditch Illuminations and get another tier 1.
Illuminations will be easy to get later in the day if you really want it.

You really don’t need a FP for illuminations, many great viewing areas. Go for one if the big rides, you’ll be able to find a spot or refresh for a FP.

This. You do not really need a FP for Illuminations. There are plenty of great spots to watch it from. Sometimes the FP area is even more crowded than the other spots so you still have to arrive early. I'd just get the FP for something else.

The last time we were there we were walking around world showcase trying to figure out where we were going to stand for illumination. I checked the app and refreshed a few times and a fastpass popped up so, we just walked on in the viewing area 20 minutes before it started.

This. You do not really need a FP for Illuminations. There are plenty of great spots to watch it from. Sometimes the FP area is even more crowded than the other spots so you still have to arrive early. I'd just get the FP for something else.

I feel kind of bad for the people that get a FP for it not realizing. While the FP seating is good, it's quite easy to get a good view from anywhere in the World Showcase. I'm surprised it is even offered Illuminations. But then again, I guess I'm not surprised because it's Disney :)

I feel kind of bad for the people that get a FP for it not realizing. While the FP seating is good, it's quite easy to get a good view from anywhere in the World Showcase. I'm surprised it is even offered Illuminations. But then again, I guess I'm not surprised because it's Disney :)

Well, the FP system, when it was expanded, had to rely on people getting different things. There's just no way everybody in the park can have an FP for the same top attraction, so by making every attraction and show have FP, sometimes people will use one of theirs on something unnecessary. I always feel bad for people using one for something like Pixar Short Films - at 10 AM! Man, that's not the way I'd plan it.

The only day we book Illuminations FP is July 4th. Totally worth it then, but a waste of Tier 1 FP most other days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter