Am I crazy making the assumption that annual passes will come back?

But it is also speculatory to assert the suspension of passes is just pure greed--why would they have brought them back in the first place and suspended so suddenly?
I think they just totally underestimated the pent up demand for the parks and the ability of the parks to handle it while the large crowd absorbing entertainment (& a lot of restaurants) remained offline.

I think they just totally underestimated the pent up demand for the parks and the ability of the parks to handle it while the large crowd absorbing entertainment (& a lot of restaurants) remained offline.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see what happens to the demand for parks with interest rates spiking and inflation jumping so quickly. Discretionary spending for many is being squeezed. If the demand slows, will we see the AP's brought back? Perhaps? Maybe? Hopefully.

APs will be back. I just took a survey that was about 15 minutes to complete sent to me by Disney. A huge chunk of it was about perks and discounts of the AP, so I think they are reevaluating them again before they do go on sale again.
I'm going to be PO'd if we can't upgrade my DH's tixs to an AP by the end of our trip in May. DVC should be able to purchase new APs.

I think APs will be back but I also think the program may be completely overhauled. And not overhauled in favor of the guest. It could be drastic.

I don't believe for one minute they underestimated demand. This was strategic move.

They've made no secret during the earnings calls that COVID-19 gave them the opportunity to reimagine the parks with significantly reduced overhead.

They wanted the domestic parks packed with the bare minimum of offerings as long as possible. Especially since they're losing millions each week on the international parks.

I don't believe for one minute they underestimated demand. This was strategic move.

They've made no secret during the earnings calls that COVID-19 gave them the opportunity to reimagine the parks with significantly reduced overhead.

They wanted the domestic parks packed with the bare minimum of offerings as long as possible. Especially since they're losing millions each week on the international parks.
And this is why I was glad to overcome my severe case of addonitis that’s been plaguing me the past few months without buying more points. I am nervous about how WDW looks in the future. I feel like some of the perks that have disappeared are what made it magical for me.

This plan will eventually backfire on them if they don't go back to precovid operations. Yes parks are mobbed but that is the backlog of disney plans. Once caught up many will not return until there is some degree of normal. For dvc the APs are a must.

I certainly wouldn't put it past them (Disney execs/Chapek). But the truth is, we don't really know. I think it's important to acknowledge that. A lot of opinions on this thread, while well-grounded on accurate observations of the current circumstances at the parks and in Disney leadership, are still not facts we can assert/declare. By all means we can and should make our own decisions about our Disney vacations based on what we observe, but let's be honest about we know and don't know with certainty.

FP+ made things magical for us. Now that it’s Genie+ & reports most people utilize it for about 2 rides I’m dreading what our end of August trip is going to look like.

No guarantee of this and that for DVC yada yada yada is a cop out for not offering AP’s to a very loyal and very paying subset of visitors. Not that I see much value in their cost these days as a family of 5. Seemed different when a kid or 2 still got in for free or when they offered that very fair platinum pass for gold pricing promo a few years back.

I am anxious to buy APs for me and my son. Never did before, as I am a cast member and park admission was part of our perks. I am now retired, and kept my perks, but we are blocked 80% of the time. And I live in NJ and need to enter on the trips I am in FL. So I want to buy APs, as it appears our main entrance passes are fairly useless now. (yes I am DVC blue card)

I was at Epcot yesterday and it was sold out. You could not buy a ticket to get in. The crowd was about 1/3 of the size it was in last November. I was there from noon to midnight, so I was there for the busiest time. Lines for food were not very long, but were slow, only 1 cashier at most places. WDW still has a shortage of cast members. Was talking to one at dinner a few days ago and on his days off he goes to theme parks. He didn’t mention WDW, but all the others. When asked he said CM’s are shut out from WDW till July and when there was opening it was for a handful of people. I wonder Bob why you have issues trying to hire people to work, then offer a benefit you can never use. Sound familiar?

The bit I find interesting about staffing is how Disney is hiring for the really gross jobs like bathroom attendant

these are critical positions but in this hiring environment it must be so hard to get these roles staffed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter