Am I crazy for wanting to Cancel BOG

Michhas

Earning My Ears
So I currently have an ADR for Be Our Guest on our arrival day.
I am seriously contemplating cancelling this reservation but with all of the hype and hard to get-ness of this reservation it is making me stall. It's not about not thinking I'll like the food or atmosphere. It does seem to center more around the actual time of the reservation. So I guess I'm throwing it out there to get a little feedback. Just for info it is just myself and my boyfriend on this trip. Am I crazy?

Here's some of my thought patterns

1) The reservation is for 9:10 pm our arrival day. We are scheduled to land at noon so even with some delays I think we are more then safe with that late a reservation but....
A)Totally would miss Wishes and/or miss opportune time to go on rides while people are watching Wishes
B)Would we be able to hold out from lunch till 9 for food our would we ruin our appetite. We normally eat dinner around 6 - 6:30.
C)I kind of want to try Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner this trip but have no other night open to try it.
D) Figure I can try to snag a lunch FP instead for one of our other 2 MK days.

We are in a similar situation with a 9:25 BOG reservation. We plan on having a light QS dinner, then going for appetizers, desserts, and drinks (they have my favorite beer).

If you miss out on Liberty Tree Tavern, no big deal. I think it's pretty bad. It's like Thanksgiving day gone wrong. I have heard lunch is better (I have only been for dinner).

If it's not your only MK evening day, just check out Wishes another day.

Either way, have fun!

We went to BOG for lunch in June and did not like it. Disliked it so much we cancelled a 6:00 dinner spot for December. Too expensive for me for very average food. It was very loud in main dining room and unless you just LOVE Beauty and the Beast I would do something else.

Do you really want to meet the Beast? He's only at dinner. I really like BOG for dinner and I think it would be a nice way for you to start your vacation.

No, you're not crazy at all. I would not do an ADR that late, but that's my family and I know my son does best on vacation if we stick to normal meal & sleep times as possible. If you normally eat at 6:00 and have small children, having a dinner that late may really throw them off. Not to mention, they would be getting to bed really late. If they are older kids and/or unusual eating/sleep times don't affect them, then go for it.

As for BOG itself, I did not enjoy my meal at all (I had the steak) and will likely not go back any time soon. It's worth seeing once, just for the atmosphere, but not if you can't find a time to work in your schedule.

FWIW, I have been there twice for dinner and enjoyed it both times. Service was slow the first time and the waitress insisted that my DD order an adult portion of an item from the kid's menu instead of the child size the second time but the food was good.

Thank you all for the feedback either way.

I do appreciate it I think I am leaning towards canceling it and trying to just get a FP for lunch to see and try it. I am not a huge BATB fan don't need to meet the beast. As we are on the dining plan for this trip wasn't so much worried about price.

Thank you all for the feedback!

So I currently have an ADR for Be Our Guest on our arrival day.
I am seriously contemplating cancelling this reservation...

...D) Figure I can try to snag a lunch FP instead for one of our other 2 MK days.

....I am leaning towards canceling it and trying to just get a FP for lunch to see and try it. I am not a huge BATB fan don't need to meet the beast. As we are on the dining plan for this trip wasn't so much worried about price...

I think BOG FP+ for lunch is a great compromise in your situation.

We have done BOG lunch and dinner twice each. We enjoyed both. Each has it's own benefits. But if The Beast is not a priority for you, and the ambiance of the castle is all you are interested in (and maybe the "Grey Stuff" or strawberry cupcake) then you can accomplish all of that at lunch.

I can understand. It is hard to want to have day of arrival so scheduled.
we all know how fun travel is NOT. will the family be able to rest before the late dinner if you keep it?

It is too bad there is no way to call, offer to turn it in, and get a lunch date from the powers to be in return. :scratchin

Tough one. We love O'hana and booked that for our arrival day and only time we could get was 9pm so we took it. We were miserable and didn't enjoy it. We even thought the food wasn't great...maybe because we were overly hungry and tired.

We ate at BOG and our dining reservation for dinner was at 4:05pm. Our whole week had crazy times, nothing normal. But, it was a fabulous meal....we were on the DDP so we didn't care what things cost. We just had to pay for our beer and extra soup - which the French onion is some of the best I have ever had! We were in the rose room and it was quiet and peaceful...and we were a group of 20! It was also the best steak I had all week. If you can't go another time I would probably not give it up and risk being tired...but hopefully you'll be pumped up because you will be in the park and it is your first day!

Since you don't care about meeting the Beast and since you have other places you're interested in, I'd just go for lunch. We had lunch there twice and it was nice! Also loud and a bit hectic, but we liked it. And it meant we could squeeze it in for a quick lunch. Especially on a travel day, I know I would be tired and hungry and cranky if I didn't get food when I needed it.

I'm a huge Beauty and the Beast fan, however I do not want to eat there in September when we go. When we went this year the food was so-so. I'd rather have a QS dinner or maybe even The Plaza instead.

I just returned from a week at WDW and we did the lunch. I did not like the food much, and although it was pretty, it reminded me of a cafeteria with decorations on the walls. I didn't see anything more special about it than Gastons. We ended up cancelling our dining reservations. Maybe if they had characters that came around like at Akershus or CRT it would be different. Just my opinion on it.

I would cancel it. I've had dinner and lunch there twice each. The restaurant does have some cool effects, but the food is overpriced for what you get and is only okay. For me, lunch has much better food. I have a reservation booked for our upcoming stay and I'm not sure that I'm going to keep it either....I booked it more because I am over the rest of the restaurants at MK too.

While I enjoy dining at BOG when we use the FP for lunch I sort of don't understand all the hype behind the restaurant. Maybe because it's still newish? Basically what I'm getting at is I don't blame you if you decide to cancel! Plenty of other great restaurants to try!

first off, there is no similarity between lunch and dinner, so if you've had lunch there and don't understand the dinner hype - go for dinner and you'll understand.
we LOVE dinner there. Lunch not so much (for one thing i don't like the lunch menu).

anyway.

While we ADORE dinner at BOG, i would never eat there instead of watching wishes!!
the latest ADR i would we willing to do at BOG is 6 PM. Anything later than that runs the risk of running into my enjoyment of wishes.

And now you have me waivering again. LOL.

I still have the reservation. Something is stopping me from cancelling it. I had thought it was the waiting for the 27 day window so I can try and snag a FP for lunch.

Now maybe it's not.

Still pondering... and appreciating all the feedback.

~Michelle

I have to agree with disneyholic, if you've only had lunch at BOG, then you have no idea what dinner is like. It felt like eating at 2 completely different restaurants. My wife is a huge Beauty & the Beast fan, but even not counting that I thought dinner was amazing. Lunch was nice as well but hectic and loud. Definitely the best dinner experience we had last week.

And now you have me waivering again. LOL.

I still have the reservation. Something is stopping me from cancelling it. I had thought it was the waiting for the 27 day window so I can try and snag a FP for lunch.

Now maybe it's not.

Still pondering... and appreciating all the feedback.

~Michelle

if i were you i would keep trying for an earlier ADR.

I snagged a 5:55 PM ADR for DD and her husband last month only a week before they left for orlando.
I managed to get it from the cancellation thread. I was on there all the time. Someone came on about to cancel that ADR, we coordinated, and i got it!!

i'd had a 7 PM for her, but as i mentioned, 7 PM is too late for us for BOG.
6 is as late as we'll do.

First you have to factor in the wait after you check in (though DD didn't wait at all - she walked away from the check in area and her beeper thing went off - so two minutes total, but it can be longer).

then once you're inside, you want to be leisurely about your dinner. You don't want to rush through it. DD even ordered an appetizer in addition to the entree and dessert (even though she was on free dining). She really likes one of the appetizers there. So that added time as well. They took their time eating. And paying. And they bought one of those lights as well.

And then there's also the picture with the Beast, who spent time interacting with them. I think they spent 90 minutes at BOG this time.
but since they'd started at 6 that still gave them plenty of time to get to the parade and then wishes.

As i said, Wishes is far more important to us than any meal, so if we couldn't get 6 pm or earlier, we wouldn't eat there. Wishes for us is WDW.

If you are crazy, then i am worse. I am canceling a BOG reservation because my husband only wants to eat in the magic kingdom once :( Oh well I guess we will eat there on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter