• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I being selfish??

Pooh_Girl

I have a rumbly in my tumbly!!
I am really torn, and I need some advice from you lovely ladies. To be totally honest, my wedding sucked. The end result was great because I am married to my wonderful, loving husband, but we were still in school and poor as dirt. My pictures were horrible, and just everything wasn't the magical wedding I had always dreamed of. I originally wanted a VR at WDW, but that is WAY out of our budget because after I get done with it will be around $20,000 for an ESCAPE wedding!!! :lmao: :rotfl: So, I am thinking about a DCL VR because DH and I really fell in love with DCL after our cruise in 2007. The problem is this, I don't think I really want anyone else except me and DH. Don't get me wrong, I love my family so much, but my parents don't really have the money to fork out for a cruise and we really don't have the budget to pay for them. So I'm thinking, if they can't go, I don't want any one else to go. Does that sound totally selfish?? What would you guys do??

I don't think it's selfish! Frankly, I think a lot of your potential guests will be relieved to know they aren't being "forced" to pay for a cruise to attend your VR. (We won't tell them what they're missing!) :goodvibes

Not selfish at all! I actually think vow renewals should be just the two of you (& children), unless it's a big anniversary like 25 or 50 years. Not in any way, shape or form to put down the ladies on here that have big ones earlier - it's just my own personal feelings about them. :flower3:

Take the money you would have spent on everyone else, and treat yourselves to a beautiful, romantic, wonderful vacation. Spend all that time together and enjoy every second of it. :cloud9:

Many many people have DCL VR's for just the 2 of them for that reason..people can't do the cruise

We already had the cruise booked with our friends and added the VR package so our friend could attend our "wedding"

Thanks guys!!!! You're the bestest!!! That makes me feel lots better. :goodvibes Like I said I know my parents would love to be there and the only other people who would probably come in DBIL and DSIL, but if my parents can't come, I don't want them to feel bad or pressured that they have to. That way maybe DH will let me tack on the MK photo shoot!!!! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I don't think you're being selfish - go for it!

I don't think that's selfish at all. DH and I are thinking about a 10-year VR in Las Vegas and we want it to be just the two of us. It seems very romantic!

You wanting to do a VR is not about the family or friends, it is about creating new memories of what your wedding should have been...that being said, if your family is an important part of your vision, then have them there, if they are not, then leave everyone at home. No matter what you decide, make sure you won't look back and regret this time around like you do the first one.

It was just hubby and I for our VR on DCL, BUT.... we met some great Dis-ers that we befriended and a few of them joined us (made it nice to share our cake). But we had planned the entire event just us two. So, no you aren't being selfish at all. I personally would have loved to have all our family and friends there and some asked why we didnt' do something locally, well, honestly, we couldn't afford to 'throw' a big party and have everyone we love there, so this was the next best thing and it was amazing to have just hubby and I for our entire vaca!

My DH and I are going to do a VR on the DCL at the end of this year. We are most likely going to end up having just me and him and our children. I am so excited and think that it will be incredibly romantic. I originally wanted to do a big elaborate production at WDW, but I couldn't afford it either. :sad2: Then we tried to do it at the Swan, and we still would have had to spend way more than I wanted to have what I envisioned. Then it became about what my family wanted and didn't want, and we just didn't want to deal with that all over again.:crazy2:
In the end we have decided to do it on the ship, and we will have a small party when we get home. That way we can still share some of the experience with our family.
This might be a possibility for you too.
I also felt really selfish at first, but I am so excited about it now!! I think that it is finally time that my DH and I did something for just us.:goodvibes

Our daughter originally wanted to do a Wishes Wedding at WDW. WE were thrilled about that. But they also wanted to pay for it on their own!! DD graduated College in 2007 from University of Central Florida where she met her Finace, they moved to Williamsburg, VA where he went to Grad School at William and Mary (lots of college loans). He graduated and they moved to Dallas, where they are both working and paying to LIVE!!
Long story short, they found that saving the 20,000 for a wished wedding had them waiting another year at least. So they decided to get married on the WONDER in November 2009.

She called and asked us about it and we simply told them whatever would make them happy. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but they knew if they wanted any family or friends to be able to attend they would need time to save, so they sent out their invitations in October 2008!!!!

They included all the information needed to book the cruise, they asked that NOONE buy a gift, they said if you are able to attend that is gift enough. They have asked that people reply by July (i think). That gives them time to call and get our dining set so we are all near eachother at dinner, and they chose to be married onboard the ship so that everyone will be able to enjoy Castaway Cay.

They knew going into this that some would be able to attend some would not and they were fine with that. I know they have received some responces both ways for this, I believe they sent out 30 invitations. We are planning on having an AMAZING time.

This is a wedding not a VR and they are happy with their choice, I say do what YOU want to do you never know you maybe suprised at who can attend if you ask them in advance......

Nope not selfish at all! go for it and enjoy it!

I don't see anything wrong with it. The VR is for you, so you can look back and have the ceremony you always wanted!

Plus you can always come back with those new, beautiful pictures and share them with your loved ones who couldn't attend.

Although we had a lot of people come to our VR, it was originally going to be my husband, me, and our son. The other people just thought it would be great to go on the cruise and join us, so it became bigger. You should do what you want!!!! Make it your day!!!! And enjoy!!!!!

Cheryl

DH is getting back from insurance adjuster school tomorrow hopefully, so I'm going to crunch some numbers today (even though I'm supposed to be working :rotfl: ). We'll see what he says!!! Wish me luck!!!!

I don't think you are being selfish at all. You need to do what makes you and your hubby happy!

That said, if you want them there and you could afford it, perhaps you could by tickets for your parents, so they could attend? Just an idea.

In the end, it still wouldn't cost as much as a Wishes wedding and they would be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter