Am I being cheap?

IndyWDWDad

Earning My Ears
My family (4) planned to spend 12/17-12/24 at the Beach Club in a Water View room, but given the lack of discounts for non-AP holders, we stepped down to a standard room a few weeks ago. When the Disney Visa discount was announced, I debated as to whether or not to do so as it didn't appear the BC was offering much of one. (We could have probably stepped back into the Water View room for a few more dollars). That being said, YC was offering waaay better discounts even on the Water View room and it didn't seem like the amenities/distance to parks were that different. Soooooo I changed over to YC and got the bump up in room and saved +$600 on the trip cost. My question is...Did I make the right move? Did I let bean counter persona overtake the fun and convenient vacation plan?

Yacht Club is orders of magnitude better than the Beach Club. I would have been mad at you if you *didn't* switch.

Beach Club smells like buffet salmon and is decorated like your dead grandma's shore house, complete with dingy, yellowing baby doll clothes pinned to the walls as "décor." It's borderline creepy.

As far as I can tell, the only reason Beach Club is so beloved is because DVC members are irrationally obsessed with Stormalong Bay (it's good... it ain't THAT good) and there's no DVC at Yacht Club, so BC is their only way to get to that pool.

Last edited:
I love both resorts, but definitely prefer YC. YC water view is my favorite room category on property. Sadly, it wasn't available in Nov. and I switched from standard YC to BCV because it was a significant savings. If you're being cheap, so am I!

Beach Club smells like buffet salmon and is decorated like your dead grandma's shore house, complete with dingy, yellowing baby doll clothes pinned to the walls as "décor." It's borderline creepy.
pool.

Uh the rooms haven't looked like that since 2016. And yes the DVC rooms are a big step up from the regular resort side rooms, design wise.

Uh the rooms haven't looked like that since 2016. And yes the DVC rooms are a big step up from the regular resort side rooms, design wise.
Not talking about the rooms. I think the rooms look great, even better than Yacht Club. I'm talking about the entirety of the rest of the resort. Gift shop, restaurants, hallways, lobby, etc.

I mean, if you got your family hyped up on a deluxe and switched to a value, I might say yes lol. But the resorts are attached to each other and share the same pool/amenities…so I don’t really think you downgraded in any way, you just saved a few bucks!! Nothing wrong with that! Enjoy it!!

They're essentially the same resort and amenities - the walk may be a total of like 3 minutes longer to Epcot and the rooms have a different aesthetic, but other than that, there's literally no difference. We actually prefer the YC rooms to BC. I would have made the same call to save the money in a heart beat.

Yes, you made the right call. We prefer YC over BC and it's the first bus stop pick up and all rooms (well almost all) have full balconies at YC. Oh and Stormalong Bay is the resort feature pool for both BC and YC, so no worries there. Enjoy.

So- funny story. I saw on another thread that a lot of resort availability opened for my week, so I was able to book YC water view just now. I'll find a different way to save $ 😄

My family (4) planned to spend 12/17-12/24 at the Beach Club in a Water View room, but given the lack of discounts for non-AP holders, we stepped down to a standard room a few weeks ago. When the Disney Visa discount was announced, I debated as to whether or not to do so as it didn't appear the BC was offering much of one. (We could have probably stepped back into the Water View room for a few more dollars). That being said, YC was offering waaay better discounts even on the Water View room and it didn't seem like the amenities/distance to parks were that different. Soooooo I changed over to YC and got the bump up in room and saved +$600 on the trip cost. My question is...Did I make the right move? Did I let bean counter persona overtake the fun and convenient vacation plan?

I think you made a great move and you shouldn't second guess yourself.

Both resorts are great and I honestly just look at them as two wings of one resort.

IMO the only benefit of BC over YC is the slightly shorter distance to Epcot International Gateway. That's really not enough reason to pay an extra $600 IMO. When we stayed at BC we had family that preferred the decor over at YC so they stayed on that side and loved it.

You honestly can't go wrong with either resort. Both being so close to Epcot and DHS. The boat service is so nice and relaxing. Great dining options all around you.

Yacht Club is orders of magnitude better than the Beach Club. I would have been mad at you if you *didn't* switch.

As far as I can tell, the only reason Beach Club is so beloved is because DVC members are irrationally obsessed with Stormalong Bay (it's good... it ain't THAT good) and there's no DVC at Yacht Club, so BC is their only way to get to that pool.

We are not DVC members and we absolutely loved our stay at BC. The in-laws stayed over at YC, we visited their room and loved it too although my wife said she thought YC had too much dark wood for her. I probably preferred the look and feel of YC but I prefer that old nautical look where my wife thought BC had more of a light and airy feel to it. I would definitely disagree with your description of BC but everyone's perspective is different.

When we stayed at BC we had a room at the far end closest to Epcot. At the end of our hallway was an exterior door that opened just feet from the bridge over to IG which made things so very convenient.

I think both resorts are great and I can see why people love them both. IMO these dual resorts have the best location on all of WDW property.

We are not DVC members and we absolutely loved our stay at BC. The in-laws stayed over at YC, we visited their room and loved it too although my wife said she thought YC had too much dark wood for her. I probably preferred the look and feel of YC but I prefer that old nautical look where my wife thought BC had more of a light and airy feel to it. I would definitely disagree with your description of BC but everyone's perspective is different.
I was mostly teasing. :)

Both fabulous resorts. Both In same geographic area in relation to both parks. Cheap, no way. I commend your Fiscally responsible decision. You got a great deal. Do not second guess. Just go and enjoy knowing you have more money for food and other goodies.

Of course you made the right move...I'm not sure why or what you're questioning...you're paying a good amount less for a better room in the same location that literally share/have the same amenities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter