• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Alternatives to VEA

BPTP

Mouseketeer
I know we've had this a few times but I thought I'd haved another go! There are 7 of us (4 children under 10) staying at Exploreres at end of August. We arrive at about 6.00pm on the last night of wishes & fantillusikon so want to get to park asap. Train is not an option as we're at terminal 3 7 it seems like a hassle to navigate across the airport with the children & luggage, & we're also thinkibng about dropping 6 off at park & husband off at hotel with luggage to meet us later (we already have our tickets). Am interested in booking our own shuttle. Anyone done this over the summer? I have read the previous threads but they seem more concerned with the train option.

There is a free shuttle which can take you around the airport, taxis everywhere.See http://airlinesgate.free.fr/cdg/T9.htm lots of info and contact no's for taxis if you don't want to take the VEA shuttle, it also has RER and TGV info_Other than that I can't help!

BPTP said:
Am interested in booking our own shuttle.
I have heard good things about Paris Shuttle. Telephone +33 1 53 39 18 18. You can find their website with a Google search.

Woody

We're just back today. We opted for Grey Shuttle in the end, more because my DH didn't fancy the TGV option.

We arrived on a Sunday (so this may have increased the price) and were charged 176 euros return - quite steep I know.

The minibus will seat 7, the minibus is very clean and the drivers are very nice.

Only snag - we had booked pick up for 3.30pm - our flight was on time, however, Grey Shuttle weren't. After 3 phone calls and 3 different responses
1. your driver is a little delayed
2. he will be with you in 10 mins
3. he is waiting at terminal 3 (we were in terminal 2B)

our driver finally arrived at 4.50pm!! I was not a happy bunny.

This morning (after checking our reservation yesterday) a driver was waiting 15 mins before agreed time, we had a smooth transfer and we were at the airport approx 35mins later.

Would I use them again? to be honest not sure I would as it was a lot of money - I would have to consider my options carefully.

Taxis are plentiful outside the airport, we didn't think they could transfer 5 of us, but there are a lot of people carriers there, so not sure if they could take 7 but we could have definitely been accommodated.

My DH asked a driver how much to Disney, he said about 80 euros as it was Sunday rates. :cool1:

Thanks all. The last time we went (Feb) we got an 8 seater mini bus by luck. We were waiting for the VEA & my DH who is great, more daring than me, went over to a mini bus driver and asked him how much & he said 80E, so DH came back to the queue & shouted out did anyoine want to share & another family who were also going to Hol Inn same as us said yes, so that was great, but I thought it was a bit of a fluke that he was waiting there as I hadbn 't noticed them waiting before. Maybe we'll just take pot luck as I'd also got a quote from grey shuttle which seemd quite high, but I'll also have a look at that website

eileds said:
. . . Taxis are plentiful outside the airport, we didn't think they could transfer 5 of us . . .
On a visit to Paris, five of us took a tax-minivan from CDG to central Paris. We went to the taxi starter, told him there were five of us, and he gave us the next taxi-minivan. I recall there was a small supplement (one or two EUR ) for each passenger after the third one.

But I don't recall if a minivan will accommodate seven passengers and luggage.

As for taxis in Paris, several guide books recommend using only official licensed taxis, available at a taxi stand. Apparently, independent (unlicensed and unregulated) taxi drivers will walk up to pasengers near the baggage claim, ask if they need a taxi, drive them to their destination, then charge outrageous rates.

Woody

BPTP said:
We were waiting for the VEA & my DH who is great, more daring than me, went over to a mini bus driver and asked him how much & he said 80E . . .
I wonder, was that the driver who was supposed to meet eileds? Hmmmm

Woody

I'm trying to decide on airport transport, settled on VEA, then worked out that it's 14euro each way for four so 112Euro or £80ish !!!
So now I'm thinking hire cars, as they are about £150 for 6 days travel.
Any hints or tips?, is my VEA calculation too high??? :confused3

How do you get that price ? Adults 14euros each per journey, kids 11.5euros each per journey (3-11) on the VEA web site, are the kids over 11?

Yes, Unfortunately both young enough to enjoy the magic, but too old to pay kids prices !!!!
So 14€ per journey for 4, there and back = 112€ ??? :earseek:

No wonder they accept credit card payments!!!That can put a serious dent in your spending money if you are taking euros only for your trip!!

wifey said:
No wonder they accept credit card payments!!!That can put a serious dent in your spending money if you are taking euros only for your trip!!
Coming from the States, we have to be cautious about credit card use in Europe because of the currency conversion charge that the bank adds on top of the actual amount charged.

Woody

I've decided to hire a car , good deal from Eurocar, phoned and spoke to an excellent lady called Aly. So £120 for six days in a little Peugeot has won the day. Thanks' again all for your advice. :wave:

I'm glad it worked out for you. Have a great holiday.

If anyone's interested I found a few web addresses for transportation from CDG to Disney via taxis or private hire shuttle companies;www.paris-airport-shuttle.com
or www.netcapricorn.com/clients/airportconnection/paris.htm or www.parishuttle.com/reservation.html or www.discoverfrance.net/Boutique/Travel/Airport shuttle/index.html. If any one has any comments on any of these service if they have used them I will be very happy to read them.I know prices for fares will vary, I'm still planning at the moment .

I used the first one - Paris-Airport-Shuttle about three years ago for a transfer from DLP to the airport. They didn't appear to arrive on time, but after some frantic searching, we did find one of their minibuses waiting outside the hotel - with a different name on the card!! But it began with the same initial, so that was good enough for me!! To this day I still feel slightly guilty that some other poor family may have missed their flight! :guilty:

It also seem to be difficult to get the reservation correct in the first place - I wanted to check about few things, like carseats and luggage capacity. Whenever I emailed them I got back a reply that didn't really answer my question. In the end I got my SIL to ask one of her french colleagues to phone them!!!

They may have improved over the last few years, but if I need a shuttle in the future they won't be my first choice!

wifey said:
If any one has any comments on any of these service if they have used them I will be very happy to read them.
I have heard many good things about Paris Shuttle. I would not hesitate to use them.

Woody

Back now, wouldn't hesitate to hire a car again, a real doddle, and meant total flexibility. Only beware CDG airport especially on return it's an absolute hash, the charming gentleman at Eurocar told me my biggest mistake was not returning the car into the area marked as NO ENTRY, obvious really. :confused3
But no matter, 200€ for 6 days in a new little Polo with a/c - superb.

They all seem very expensive. 63 euros one way was the cheapest I could see on the website.

Chipinpin
I had to laugh when I read about you not having the cop-on to know that you return the rental cars via the "no-entry" sign...we had the same problem when we visited last August...took forever to find the right place to drop it off. I wont even get started on our adventure trying to get out of the airport the first day......!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter