Alternatives to Beaches and Cream??

StaciaRae

Mouseketeer
Hi! We'll be at WDW for a quick stay after a cruise. We've never been to the Boardwalk before, I've been trying to get reservations at Beaches and Cream but have been unsuccessful. My plan is to do 1/2 day at HS and then wander over to the boardwalk for dinner/ice cream with the family (including a 5 yr old and 7 yr old who'll be walking). Are there any good burger and/or ice cream places there that don't require an ADR? Which ones would you suggest? I've looked through the list on the WDW website, but I'm looking for recommendations from fellow DISers. Thanks!

Since you're going to be at HS you should try and get a reservation at the Sci-Fi Dine In. They have decent burgers, milkshakes, and offer sundaes for dessert.

Hi! We'll be at WDW for a quick stay after a cruise. We've never been to the Boardwalk before, I've been trying to get reservations at Beaches and Cream but have been unsuccessful. My plan is to do 1/2 day at HS and then wander over to the boardwalk for dinner/ice cream with the family (including a 5 yr old and 7 yr old who'll be walking). Are there any good burger and/or ice cream places there that don't require an ADR? Which ones would you suggest? I've looked through the list on the WDW website, but I'm looking for recommendations from fellow DISers. Thanks!

Haven't been there personally, but all the reviews here on the DIS for Ample Hills Creamery are 5 star. The ice cream itself is so much better. B&C does have all the different sundaes, but they use Edy's ice cream that you can get at your local grocery store. Ample Hills is something you can't get at home.

Since you're going to be at HS you should try and get a reservation at the Sci-Fi Dine In. They have decent burgers, milkshakes, and offer sundaes for dessert.
Thanks for responding! We did Sci-Fi in 2016. It was OK but we didn't love it - I guess we didn't like that we had to eat in the dark and we weren't facing each other. This will be our 2nd trip and I'm trying to plan new things that we didn't do before. The boardwalk looks interesting so I'm considering strolling over there to eat.

Keep checking beaches and cream for a reservation, especially the closer you get. We have only ever booked day of or day before reservations there so things definitely open up. Another alternative would be to grab dinner at ESPN, which doesn't require a reservation, then do ice cream at Ample Hills or the Beaches and Cream walk-up area. I haven't been, but others rave about the burgers at Crew Cup too which also doesn't require a reservation

Fountain, inside (recently renovated) Dolphin is ice cream & burgers.

You could also enjoy ESPN or Big River Grill on Boardwalk. Food is fine. Ice cream parlor along the same Boardwalk.

The burger at Crew's Cup Lounge is really good! Not as good, but still enjoyable, is the burger from Hurricane Hannah's, you could then either do the Beaches and Cream to-go window or head over to Ample Hills.

Fountain, inside (recently renovated) Dolphin is ice cream & burgers.

You could also enjoy ESPN or Big River Grill on Boardwalk. Food is fine. Ice cream parlor along the same Boardwalk.

I agree with this. If you want that "ice cream parlor" feeling, go to the Fountain at the Dolphin. However, if you want the BEST ice cream in WDW (IMHO!), grab burgers at either Big River Grill or ESPN on the Boardwalk and get ice cream at Ample Hills (also on the Boardwalk). The food and ice cream at B&C are highly overrated IMHO. It's just Edy's ice cream.

Use the touring plans adr finder to help find an adr. We also found openings a day or two before so also check then.

Crew's Cup has a good burger (but a bit pricey). Ale & Compass lounge is a good option if open. And Ample Hills for ice cream. There's also a pizza window at Boardwalk if you just want to grab a slice of pizza.

Use the touring plans adr finder to help find an adr. We also found openings a day or two before so also check then.

Thanks! I'm using the ADR finder but it doesn't search that often it seems. I checked late night and it had been over 12 hours since it last ran. I am still using it but also keep checking on my own.

Are there any good burger and/or ice cream places there that don't require an ADR? Which ones would you suggest?
Dolphin Fountain. Its actually bette than B&C.

Crew's Cup Lounge has a delicious burger. We are probably in the minority, but we tried Ample Hills twice and really didn't care for it. We much prefer Beaches and Cream. They do have a take out window where you can get the ice cream to go.

Crew's Cup Lounge has a delicious burger. We are probably in the minority, but we tried Ample Hills twice and really didn't care for it. We much prefer Beaches and Cream. They do have a take out window where you can get the ice cream to go.

Although I would say that the quality of the ice cream itself is better at Ample Hills than Beaches and Cream, I found all of the flavors that I tried at AH to be way too sweet for me. I ended up getting a cone of the cookies and cream, as it is my go-to, but it was way too cloyingly sweet to eat much of, I probably had about 4 bites and was done. I did really like there waffle cones though!

If you have park hoppers, the ice cream shop in France in EPCOT is amazing too. I can't in good conscience recommend a burger in EPCOT, but maybe pizza at Via Napoli.

Love the fountain.
This is my favorite. PIE! With ice cream and caramel! So darn good.

• Caramel Apple Sundae - A slice of our bakery-made apple pie, topped with vanilla soft-serve, caramel sauce, whipped cream, & a cherry.

They have their own version of the kitchen sink

• Fountain Funnel - Pick your Seven Flavors of ice cream, Three Sauces and Three Toppings to create your own funnel- shaped masterpiece topped with Whipped Cream and a Cherry - $28.99
Link to full menu
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=327

Like many have said, if you can't get the B&C reservation, the Fountain is a great alternative. We have been to both, and I actually prefer the Fountain. IMO the food is a bit better at the Fountain. The PB&J shake is sooooo good. But, the rest of my family likes B&C mainly just for the No Way Jose, so we will be there again in a couple of weeks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter