Alternate route home to nj?

Aurora2000

Briar Rose &PrincePhillip
Hi

we are driving down this saturday we typically take 95 straight down...but since this trip has us returning home around the 4th of July DH wanted to avoid DC alltogether,.... he is thinking on the way home going north through Atlanta then TN through Harrisburg Va and Pa to NJ. I think the road is mostly I-78?????

Does anyone have a good alternate route back to the east coast that would by-pass Dc?

thanks!:rolleyes:

He's probably talking about taking I-81 to I-78 (PA Pike). They are both very pretty roads, but hilly and not as fast moving. Don't count on it being any faster, but it will help avoid a lot of major population areas.

Anne

One alternative is to exit I-95 at exit 104 in Virginia and take 301 up to Baltimore. That will get you around the DC traffic.

If you want a REALLY scenic route, take exit 11 (or 12), get on US 58 to Norfolk, and take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. It's a toll bridge that will get you over to the Eastern Shore and into Maryland and Delaware.

Adding to the previous post you can take 301 up to Annapolis (RT50) and 301 over the Annapolis Bridge. This will take you to Wilmington and the Delaware Memorial Bridge, it's a nice ride, bypasses DC, but not very fast.

Matt makes a good suggestion about 301. Taking US 301 north of Richmond is a very nice ride. You cross the Potomac River near Dahlgren, VA - no bridge toll into Maryland. Better gas prices around Dahlgren or anywhere in VA - don't wait until you get to Maryland - prices are much higher in Maryland. In MD on US 301 you will go through some towns, so there are lights & lower speed limits, but it sure beats the Washington International Speedway - oh, I mean the Washington beltway :). You could take US 301 north to the Baltimore beltway or as okw91 suggests take US 301 to US 50 east in Bowie, MD. You will go through Annapolis (you won't see any scenic/historic places from the road) & cross the Severn River & then the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (toll going East). If it is any Friday or Saturday in the summer, then I would hesitate the US 50 route because of beach traffic. Have fun!!

we are leaving at 4 am in the am for Vero then off to vwl next week.

I am printing this thread thank you thank you all for the info I will let you know how we did it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter