"Alternate Entrances" - How do we ride?

ZehnJahren

DIS Veteran
Hello!
We're using a scooter this trip for the first time; it's the only way my mom can return to WDW. While she CAN walk for some distances, she wouldn't be able to walk for very long at all so, rather than stop going to WDW we're renting a scooter. She's very nervous, but I'm trying to be reassuring; and it's up to me to do the bulk of research to set her mind at ease.

I want to be 10000% sure of what we're doing while there, so I've been reading up. I've got all our FP+ in place, and I understand that many rides we'll be able to scoot on through the regular line. I found on the DIS where they list the rides that have mainstream queues, but a lot of rides are missing. I was sitting here thinking of the different places I've seen wheelchair entrances and I'm just wondering: how do we get on Peter Pan? There's no way she can fit through that line if I'm remembering correctly, and we didn't get a FP+ for it.

Also, we have FP+ for HM - is there any way at all for us to go into the stretching room with her riding the ECV? I can't remember seeing an ECV in there before. I'm also a little confused about ToT; it says the line is mainstream, but I have NEVER seen an ECV in there before and I've been to the parks a ton - am I just not remembering?

There's also mention of a "wheelchair" area, first come first serve, for parades and shows; how long in advance should we show up? She's never seen the Festival of Fantasy parade but she DEFINITELY can't stand for that long. Same with MNSSHP; we have tickets and she loves the parade; will we be able to find a place to watch it without lining up for hours in advance? Does MNSSHP have a wheelchair area?

How about the single rider line on RnRC, TT, and EE?

I have so many questions but I'm reading up as much as I can. I'm nervous about the buses but for most of the trip we're staying at Beach Club so we can scoot to two parks! Any information would be GREAT!

(Also, editing to add one more: it says Splash is mainstreamed, but she can't do that many stairs - she could probably do up to five. How do we get on there?)

Pirates and a couple of other rides she will have to switch to a wheelchair for the line. they have the wheelchairs there. other than those few rides the only ones she can not do are the people mover and the swiss family tree house but be aware the Peter Pan can not stop or slow down the loading belt. as for buses the drivers have always been very helpful to me with loading. I have never been able to stay on scooter had to take a seat while on the buses. safety was the reason I was given. I do not remember Splash for sure but I know I rode and I can not do steps. if I remember correctly TT was one where I switched to wheelchair not sure how that would work with single rider line. do not be afraid to ask CMs at rides how each line works. remember the CMs see lots of scooters every day and will be able help you get where you want to go

All lines/attractions are wheelchair accessible from the entrance to the point of boarding. Some are not ECV accessible, but those have wheelchairs available at the attraction to switch to for use in line.

If you haven't checked out posts 18-21 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, those should be helpful to you. They list attractions access and include information about transfer for attractions that don't have wheelchair cars.
You can find the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

Last edited:
For the attractions that are ECV accessible, you don't need to do anything. In some cases, the line is accessible, but the boarding area is not. The CMs will direct you where to go if you need to board somewhere else.

The attractions that are not ECV accessible have an icon of a stick figure getting out of the ECV and getting into a wheelchair. Those are the ones where a wheelchair will be available to switch to. It's up to the guest to let the CM know they can't walk in line and will need to borrow a wheelchair.
Be sure when asked to park the ECV to ask the actual distance. 'A few steps' or 'not far' mean different things to a CM who can walk without difficulty and is familiar with the attraction than they might mean for someone with difficulty walking.

The Peter Pan line was changed about 15 months ago. Both the Fastpass and regular line are wheelchair accessible and I have seen ECVs in the line since renovation.
There is a parking spot for ECVs and wheelchairs close to the boarding/unload area. It is about 20-30 feet from there to the Pirate Ship ride vehicles. Because of that and the fact that the moving walkway can't be stopped, Peter Pan us listed as 'must be ambulatory'.
The Haunted Mansion line outside of the building and the stretching room are accessible to both ECVs and wheelchairs. you may not have seen any because no one was going when you went, but it's more likely you just didn't see them.
Guests using mobility devices are directed to stay to the right side of the line before entering the building. Once inside, in each room, they are directed where to go and also to leave the room after the other guests.
In the stretching room, they are along one side and are directed to wait for the CM to leave. From the stretching room, they don't go to the regular boarding area. They go into a hallway that leads to the exit, where they will load and unload. At the end of the hallway, you will be asked if you can walk - don't be shy about telling them the distance you can walk. ECVs are parked in the outdoor courtyard at the exit. The CMs will usually direct your group to go there, park and then come back in. Someone else in your group can park it for her so she doesn't have to walk.

Wheelchair areas for parades are marked on the park maps for each park. Aside from Illuminations, there are no designated handicapped spots for fireworks.
She doesn't need to stand - she can park the ECV and sit in it, whether or not you end up in the handicapped viewing area. Just be aware of curbs and turn the ECV OFF (even remove the key) when sitting still so there is no chance of it activating.
Wheelchair areas are first come, first serve and do often fill up quickly. An hour or a bit more ahead of time is not too early. The wheelchair areas are the same for MNSSHP as for daytime parades (and are marked on the party maps.)

They do line the mobility devices very close together up across the from of the viewing area; the rest of your group will be behind or slightly behind her. They do it that way to make more space for the guests using mobility devices who would not be able to see if a whole party lines up across the front of the area.
If it's very busy, they may limit access in those areas to the guest with the mobility device plus one member of their group.

How about the single rider line on RnRC, TT, and EE?
Ask at the attraction whether they are allowing guests with mobility devices to use the single rider line. I'm not even sure if all still have a single rider line.
Those attractions are wheelchair accessible, but she may have to switch from ECV to wheelchair.

Both the Fastpass and regular line at Splash Mountain are accessible to the point of the stairs. Once you get to that area, there is a handicapped pull off area that leads to a waiting area by the exit. Once they are ready for you to ride, you can bring the mobility device into the exit area and park it.
It will be waiting in the same place you left it when you get off.

I know for splash mountain I told the CM at the entrance that my husband has trouble with the dark queues due to low vision, esp. the stairs. she said when you get to the first staircase. tell the CM there.

well he wasn't there he was over by the exit talking to someone, but we called him over. (I just mention this in case you get there and no one is there. to complaining, just don't want you to be confused) he led us over to the exit where we stood in a short line there . with people in wheelchairs, etc.

Thank you all so much for the replies. She can walk for a bit as long as it's flat, and could probably do one set of stairs a day (which would take her awhile and has potential to hurt her, so we're just going to say no to any flights of stairs). I think we'll be good on Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan on the moving sidewalk, as long as I can steady her when she first walks on (I.e. I'll walk slowly in front of her so she can grab me).

She is very concerned about being a burden, but when I stopped to see her last night she was in tears from the pain and the doctor is telling her there's nothing they can do. She is looking forward to this trip, and I'm determined to make it as normal as possible for her. She needs some relaxation; we've had a very tumultuous year.

Any and all additional information is welcomed.

Last edited:
most of the continuous load rides can be slowed , but not peter pan. they can slow spaceship earth , haunted mansion, buzz lightyear, litlle mermaid ride nemo ride. for nemo go into the shop on the left and there is a Cm by the exit to the ride. as you enter the CM at the loading area has a remote they use to slow the ride.

also, don't feel pressured to "scamper" up to the vehicle they want you to use. I always lead my husband to one further back (still coming up). better to let a vehicle go unused (I know, not effecient) thenhave your mother get hurt trying to rush into the one that's further up

The Peter Pan line was changed about 15 months ago. Both the Fastpass and regular line are wheelchair accessible and I have seen ECVs in the line since renovation.

Is it safe to assume they've worked the kinks out over time? We were there last year at Christmas and it's a good thing my DD can stand and get out of her chair and it's a manual chair that can be folded because when we went there was a door propped open in the middle of the queue and the door made the queue too narrow to get the chair through. We let a CM at the exit know (her look of "what are you trying to get me to give you for this supposed problem" was really annoying but she lost the look when I told her we managed fine but I wanted to make sure she knew so they could do something about it so that others who aren't as mobile as my DD wouldn't get stuck) but I have no idea if they did actually do something about it or if this is a common problem.

I know for splash mountain I told the CM at the entrance that my husband has trouble with the dark queues due to low vision, esp. the stairs. she said when you get to the first staircase. tell the CM there.

well he wasn't there he was over by the exit talking to someone, but we called him over. (I just mention this in case you get there and no one is there. to complaining, just don't want you to be confused) he led us over to the exit where we stood in a short line there . with people in wheelchairs, etc.
We had that happen at Splash as well. Luckily it was really slow at the time so we weren't holding people up trying to find a CM. The few guests who did come up behind us were shocked to see us just waiting at the bottom of the stairs looking around. They helped us find a CM. I would hope that if it's the typical long lines there would be somebody there but since it was slow I guess they were trying to get other stuff done rather than just standing around twiddling their thumbs. Just be patient and look around for somebody if nobody is there.

Last edited:
They weren't allowing ECVs in the queue at Peter Pan when I went in July and September. They were making you park them and transfer to a WC.
And at Splash Mtn they were also not letting you take the ECV all the way down to the boarding area. They were having guests leave them further out and walk against the flow of disembarking guests rather than "drive" against the flow.
At least that was what I experienced on my trips in July and September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter